Target Practice

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

NorthStar
500 Club

Target Practice

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:34 am

I didn't want to hijack the Off Season Training thread so I apologize if this isn't "new topic" worthy... but when I think of off-season training, getting in the gym definitely comes to mind, but what about shooting your bow? I would be interested to hear what some of our Beast members training program looks like for target practice. How often do you get out and what methods are being used to account for all the scenarios we run into during the season?

“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Huntress13
500 Club

Re: Target Practice

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:40 am

I don't shoot outside until the weather starts to moderate a bit, March/April. I do have a "no dry fire" release aid so I can pull my bow to keep or increase strength in the off season. Guys probably don't have to worry about that. I suppose if I really wanted to, I could set up a 10 or 15 yard shot indoors, but I don't feel the need. Practicing from March or April through fall 4-5x a week is plenty for me and at some point I put up a tree stand in the yard to shoot from. Some people go to indoor target tournaments or indoor 3d. I'm just not going to drive 30+ minutes to a range on any regular basis to do this.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:20 am

Makes sense! I like it!

Does anyone have a routine that involves shooting from the ground? I heard THP guys talking about shooting through tall grass to see how their arrow reacts. I thought that was a good tip. I live on 15 acres and can get creative at my place so just looking for some "out of the box" ideas.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
strehb18

Unread postby strehb18 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:05 am

I'm not a great archer, but have experience with practicing in some different disciplines. I like to think about breaking things into two types of practice, technique based and situational based.

I feel you should work on technique first. Get the kinks out of your form and find some rhythm (John Dudley's training stuff is great). You should have a consistent, foul proof and repeatable process before anything else. I'd break it down to half your time in the off season getting the little things right.

Then move onto situational type practice. How does your setup shoot at every single yard in your effective range? Shooting out of a tree, shooting out of hunting clothes, cold weather, hot weather, from the ground, kneeling, one foot elevated. Any situation that you may encounter, so if anything comes up, you're prepared. Andy May (RidgeRunner on here) also did a great W2H podcast on how he prepares in the off season and this two step approach is very similar to what he describes as well in a bit different terms.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:12 am

I’m probably in a diff boat that most due to the fact I really enjoy shooting a bow. I shoot a minimum of 4 days a week year round cause I enjoy it. I go rabbit hunting, pig hunting, and bow fishing from now until July. Then I switch into whitetail mode. I have a tree stand hung in my backyard and I practice real world hunting condition shots with broadheads. Think something that really helps me is practicing having to thread the needle both with vertical obstacles as well as horizontal. I do this by running cheap clothes line and running those swimming pool float noodles through it to simulate limbs, branches and other obstacles. When September comes i limit myself to just 3 shots a day from unknown distance focusing more on making 1 shot count. Just what works for me and something I enjoy.

I also enjoy shooting moving targets . Be it styrofoam frisbees or rolling tires down a hill for fun. Practicing very difficult shots make the average shot a walk in the park atleast in my mind. You stick a buck inside 20 yards in front of me and I don’t have any doubt in my mind it’s done deal game over. That said I missed a doe this year inside of 10 :doh:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:01 am

Thanks Boogieman and Strehbs! This gives me a lot to consider and work on this off-season!
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:15 am

I have a bag target in my basement and I also keep my beer in the basement. Any night I feel like a beer I make myself shoot 6 rounds of 3 arrows before I can open the fridge!!!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:35 pm

Pudster wrote:I have a bag target in my basement and I also keep my beer in the basement. Any night I feel like a beer I make myself shoot 6 rounds of 3 arrows before I can open the fridge!!!

:lol: Love it
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:28 pm

Im going to do the school of nock on youtube again this summer. I really like getting back basic archery conditioning and training. I missed 2 bucks this season and it made really think about the fundamentals of archery and what i did wrong
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:46 pm

Off season I shoot when the weather allows. But usually practicing is 30, 40, 50,60,80 yards one arrow at each. Unless I have an issue then I'll shoot that distance until I figure it out.

I try to practice when I can in the wind. Around July a day or two a week I hang from my saddle and practice. My back lawn is full of pine trees so I like to practice turning at full draw like I'm following a walking deer and shoot through little windows in the branches.

This year I think I'm going to switch back from my shooting blocks to a deer target. I currently have no intentions of a frontal shot, but I would like to practice it. I'm also going to practice kneeling shots this year. I'm hoping to put a stalk on one next year.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:18 pm

treeroot wrote:Off season I shoot when the weather allows. But usually practicing is 30, 40, 50,60,80 yards one arrow at each. Unless I have an issue then I'll shoot that distance until I figure it out.

I try to practice when I can in the wind. Around July a day or two a week I hang from my saddle and practice. My back lawn is full of pine trees so I like to practice turning at full draw like I'm following a walking deer and shoot through little windows in the branches.

This year I think I'm going to switch back from my shooting blocks to a deer target. I currently have no intentions of a frontal shot, but I would like to practice it. I'm also going to practice kneeling shots this year. I'm hoping to put a stalk on one next year.

I will offer my .02 on practicing kneeling shots. That’s the shot I missed this year that was close enough I could have spit on the deer. Don’t practice all comfy kneeling down in lush grass taking a quick shot. In fact go out of your way to make it uncomfortable. My story was I seen the deer coming and kneeled down holding my bow up. Took her forever to close the distance. Legs were burning and very uncomfortable. Shoulder was aching from holding the bow vertical for so long. Was put in a position where I couldn’t move and was really hating life. You know that feeling when your mind starts sweet talking u to just move your legs and get comfy and screw the deer. Had to slowly draw back with a deers eyes visible and on top of me. Some nice jagged rocks under the knee always sweeten the pot lol. Now that’s practicing in hunting conditions!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
live2hunt

Unread postby live2hunt » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:11 am

I shoot as often as I can. Which is often 0 times a week when life is hectic. I shoot in the garage at short distance not focusing on where I hit but concentrating on grip, form, anchor point and so on.

When I take it outside I start close say five yards and increase by five yards each shot shooting spots. By spots I mean to aim at holes or spots where arrows have hit previously close range quarter sized spots 20 to 40 and soft ball out to 65. When you first step back to long ranges be somewhere where there isn’t pressure to hit 10rings or even the target lol. Just fling arrows even if you are missing recognize why you are missing. Can Identify issues at long range like grip, dropping bow arm, punching trigger and so on again.

Once season is close I like setting up my own 3 d shoot and do a few walk through. Bringing in buddies makes this fun practice. Also on the 3D style shoot set up shots from knees, stands, stool, however you will be shooting in season.

In season I shoot one to three arrows mid day or last 15minutes of light. In season I walk back from target then turn range it adjust sight and shoot. I try to do this somewhat quick but still going through the motions properly.
raisins

Unread postby raisins » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:01 pm

3D shoots were really helpful for me. I should get back into them. From what I've seen, the new target have these special score areas that don't correspond to a kill zone. I'll probably just shoot my hunting shot and not care about my score.

As other have said, shooting much longer distance than hunting distance is helpful for me. I like to shoot 40 to 60 yards mostly. It's partly mental by making 20 yards seem very close.
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:48 am

1. Shooting in low light conditions. In the summer I like to let a few arrows fly at a 3d target right at dusk to condition myself to picking a spot on the animal in low light.

2. Shooting when physically fatigued. Do some cardio, then shoot with an elevated heart rate combined with fatigue.

3. Shooting through small lanes. Even at 3d shoots I like to make my own shots to shoot between trees, under branches, over brush, or through soft vegetation.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:36 am

I’m on a winter traditional archery league. I’m rejoining the club because my kids are old enough to shoot now. I live in a subdivision so I can’t practice the the way I like. The club has two outdoor animal courses, a broad head range, and a field range that up to a 100yds. My best years killing deer were the years I shot there a bunch. I plan on going a couple days after work thru the summer.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”