Weakest link

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Antler Assassin

Re: Weakest link

Unread postby Antler Assassin » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:03 pm

I would say being to set in my ways and not changing tactics when the time calls for it. Stubborness.

live2hunt

Unread postby live2hunt » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:10 pm

Bump
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:21 pm

Holding off on making a move or switching gears when time is NOW.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:55 pm

Getting on good bucks consistently :cry:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:18 pm

My biggest flaw is I tend to be indecisive. I'll go to an area and will get very indecisive on where to setup, and because of it I'll waste a lot of time and generally try to setup where I'll have the most shot opportunities. Usually I end up just out of range of where I should have been and miss my chance. I've been getting better and looking for places where I cant see as much, or something funnels the movement more to one spot.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:22 pm

Lack of quality opportunity for me is by far the toughest hurdle. For me, when the places I hunt don’t hold trophy caliber bucks other than a few days a year when they pass through for the rut. You gotta have a lot of things swing your way to have a high odds chance. Isn’t rocket science that the better the spot the greater the opportunity regardless of skill level.

Sure I could devote my free time to working more hours to finance either traveling farther, or paying a ungodly amount for some top notch private.

Which brings me to #2. Being happy with what I do have available. Some times I fall into the greener grass crowd, or wonder how my wall might look diff if I hunted elsewhere. But I normally rationalize when I do connect on what I consider a good one, I’m just as tickled as anyone who has better opportunity.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:55 pm

Rut hunting. My mature buck encounters decrease dramatically during the rut.

My solution is I’m going to try 100% bump and dump hunting this next November, so I at least know I’m in the game.
ButtonBuckFever

Unread postby ButtonBuckFever » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:08 pm

Me.

No reason I cant' loose a little sleep to get in the stand early.

No reason I couldn't have scouted this weekend, with just a touch of the flu

No reason I can't shoot more

No reason . . . except me
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:23 pm

Mine is the complete lack of interest in traveling literally anywhere to find bigger deer. I'm just not going to do it. I will do nothing to change it, because a large deer just isn't that important to me.
CajunSwampStalker

Unread postby CajunSwampStalker » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:17 am

Thinking I’m going to get one of my old hunting buddies to change tactics to have a hunting buddy.

This past hunting season I hunted mostly alone relying strictly on hand held compass for navigation. Getting better at it. Just that 4 kids and a house note now doesn’t allow me to purchase the GPS I want. Lol.

I hunted a few times with the guys and it never fails it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. They want to sit in the same trees and same spots they have been previous years and don’t agree with my aggressive tactics. Giving me slack cause I’m new to hunting and dint know what I’m talking about. As so they say. I’m just enjoying the journey and the great outdoors. Oh ...... and seeing way more deer than them lol
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:52 pm

Bump
bgordorfski

Unread postby bgordorfski » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:37 pm

Time

My Dad died unexpectedly in 2020. It was at that point I realized all I really have is memories.

I shifted spending time with my kids and making those memories as my top priority. Hunting has taken a backseat. Figured when they grow and want to spend less time with dad. I will hunt and scout more like I use to.
PoppaOtt84

Unread postby PoppaOtt84 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:35 am

Having a plan, and preparation seem to be my weak points. Not picking out some kill trees when scouting and a plan for access is a big one for me. But, I also need to build my confidence on scouting my way in and believing in my set up.
Bud TN

Unread postby Bud TN » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:33 am

I think one of my biggest weak links are indecision and doubt... :doh: :doh: :doh:

I'm always asking "where do I go and why should I stay", is the sign right? If not...then what do I do now??? i've spent all this time getting here!?!? blah blah blah...and all the subsequent usual questions start rolling through my head after that (i'll let you fill in your personal concentration busters or doubt questions...etc.).

I've spent several hours working back into a target area only to find sign that doesn't trip my trigger, but i still want to stay and see what happens. then get frustrated that i don't even see a squirrel (which is how MOST of my hunts go).

It doesn't matter how much scouting or what extra reasons I have to hunt there...it doesn't seem to matter because my indecision and doubt will flair up and find some negative thought to cause me to doubt my choice. :angry-banghead:
wdog

Unread postby wdog » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:28 pm

bgordorfski wrote:Time

My Dad died unexpectedly in 2020. It was at that point I realized all I really have is memories.

I shifted spending time with my kids and making those memories as my top priority. Hunting has taken a backseat. Figured when they grow and want to spend less time with dad. I will hunt and scout more like I use to.

Can’t agree with with this more.
With my kids getting older I’m spending more time bird hunting with them, deer are taking a back seat.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”