Wisconsin Deer Kill Down 25 percent?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Crazinamatese

Re: Wisconsin Deer Kill Down 25 percent?

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:06 am

I blame Trump!
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:09 am

Not surprising.

All two million deer seem to have perfected the art of disappearing from the landscape right before the hunting seasons. :lol:
moog5050
500 Club

Unread postby moog5050 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:09 am

Crazinamatese wrote:I blame Trump!

Included in the draft impeachment report. lol
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:26 am

Dewey wrote:Not surprising.

All two million deer seem to have perfected the art of disappearing from the landscape right before the hunting seasons. :lol:

My season was quite average in the north. No different than last season as far as sightings. Perhaps the rest of the state is catching up with the lack of deer like in my area. :think:
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:44 am

If you read the whole article. It just seems to be the norm for the latest opening day possible. Although totals for all seasons combined. Do seem to be on the decline.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:10 am

I'm not sure about other areas but the area I'm in has as many deer as ever. But still not much shooting from what I heard/experienced. The particular property I hunt most of the time was great until that super cold rolled in in early November. After that it seems like the deer really hit what standing corn was in the area. Almost got into a late season pattern. After the cold the deer never really got back to where they were/shouldve been that time of year. Not sure what kind of effect that had on gun season tho. I will say sightings were way down on our property this year for gun and I know the deer didnt all die or anything. Wierd year and the weather was nice for opening weekend but wasn't ever great killing weather for most of the season. Atleast by me. More bucks for next year!
McChisel

Unread postby McChisel » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:52 pm

It’s no wonder the gun harvest is lower. The record setting precipitation, the introduction of all the new “bow” hunters in the woods the last few years, and the late season. Hopefully a few more bucks for next year.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:52 pm

I think the biggest factor is our new tagging/registration system that is producing these statistics. My theory is there are a good amount of people not registering there deer cause it is now way to easy for them to cut it up take a 2nd copy of there tag and go back out and shoot another. Go back to in person registration and the plastic tags again and I bet the harvest goes right back up.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:09 pm

Pudster wrote:I think the biggest factor is our new tagging/registration system that is producing these statistics. My theory is there are a good amount of people not registering there deer cause it is now way to easy for them to cut it up take a 2nd copy of there tag and go back out and shoot another. Go back to in person registration and the plastic tags again and I bet the harvest goes right back up.

X2 I've been saying this the whole time too!
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:13 pm

I have a hard time believing 25% of the hunters are cheating the system, especially when extra tags are dirt cheap.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:18 pm

may21581 wrote:
Pudster wrote:I think the biggest factor is our new tagging/registration system that is producing these statistics. My theory is there are a good amount of people not registering there deer cause it is now way to easy for them to cut it up take a 2nd copy of there tag and go back out and shoot another. Go back to in person registration and the plastic tags again and I bet the harvest goes right back up.

Talk to your local taxidermist who has been doing it for a long time. They will tell you how much business is down. That’s a pretty good gauge for how bad the deer and especially the buck population is. The DNR can claim there are two million plus deer on the landscape but anybody that spends any amount of time out there in a very large portion of the state will tell you otherwise. I’m amazed by how many guys I talked to from all corners of the state saw zero deer during the gun season. Most of them are very experienced hunters too. The numbers just don’t add up but the deer kill tells the story well. Just keeps getting worse year after year. Doesn’t sound like a “growing” population to me.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:24 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:I have a hard time believing 25% of the hunters are cheating the system, especially when extra tags are dirt cheap.

I'm sure a few are. But it's a small %. Something else to consider is. More hunters are being picky on size and age of bucks. So are more willing to eat a tag. Some years the bigger bucks just aren't on a property during the 9 day gun season. Or are already tucked tight in a sanctuary no one goes into. So it can be a total bust for some guys. Especially on private.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:37 pm

Alot of areas are still recovering from ehd as well. Couple this up with the new tagging system, more people bow hunting and people who are more trophy hunters than meat hunters and you found your answer. My taxidermist told me the same, his numbers dropped off a few years ago with the economy in the area.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:01 pm

may21581 wrote:

I doubt it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”