Southern Beasts Tactical Thread

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ahawk116

Re: Southern Beasts Tactical Thread

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:00 am

Good question. That’s not a white oak in the photo. Pretty sure that’s a black oak.
The best thing to do as far as hunting acorns is spend time scouting and the ones that have the most deer sign in under them in your area pay attention to because the same thing is liable to be happening down the road at another piece that you can hunt. If you can then relate it to bedding you’ll be in good shape.

GeneralLee wrote:
Ahawk116 wrote:They are hitting the white oaks hard here in South Carolina. Passed this 2 yr old this morning. Munching away. Setup was in the closest white oaks to bedding that I could hunt with the wind this morning. 140FC80D-BDF0-4587-84A5-27C7E9F51D17.jpeg

Y'all are going to have to bare with me here. Is that a white oak on the left that you have in that picture? I've been trying to get better at oak ID and they aren't super prevalent in my area from all the hurricanes wiping them out supposedly. I've looked online in multiple places but haven't found anything that shows me a good solid pic of the bark and leaves to go off of.

GeneralLee

Unread postby GeneralLee » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:04 am

Ahawk116 wrote:Good question. That’s not a white oak in the photo. Pretty sure that’s a black oak.
The best thing to do as far as hunting acorns is spend time scouting and the ones that have the most deer sign in under them in your area pay attention to because the same thing is liable to be happening down the road at another piece that you can hunt. If you can then relate it to bedding you’ll be in good shape.

GeneralLee wrote:
Ahawk116 wrote:They are hitting the white oaks hard here in South Carolina. Passed this 2 yr old this morning. Munching away. Setup was in the closest white oaks to bedding that I could hunt with the wind this morning. 140FC80D-BDF0-4587-84A5-27C7E9F51D17.jpeg

Y'all are going to have to bare with me here. Is that a white oak on the left that you have in that picture? I've been trying to get better at oak ID and they aren't super prevalent in my area from all the hurricanes wiping them out supposedly. I've looked online in multiple places but haven't found anything that shows me a good solid pic of the bark and leaves to go off of.

Funny you say that. I bumped a buck bedding not 30-40 yds from an obviously hard hit oak tree just last weekend. Should've grabbed some pics of the oak while I was in there.
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:07 am

Yeah that’s a good thing to do. As far as identification in your area you can pickup an Audobon identification book (that’s probably misspelled) or something worth trying is downloading an app like leaf snap to help.

GeneralLee wrote:
Ahawk116 wrote:Good question. That’s not a white oak in the photo. Pretty sure that’s a black oak.

GeneralLee wrote:

Funny you say that. I bumped a buck bedding not 30-40 yds from an obviously hard hit oak tree just last weekend. Should've grabbed some pics of the oak while I was in there.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:43 am

Ahawk116 wrote:Yeah that’s a good thing to do. As far as identification in your area you can pickup an Audobon identification book (that’s probably misspelled) or something worth trying is downloading an app like leaf snap to help.

GeneralLee wrote:

GeneralLee wrote:

Ive read that Oaks can interbreed as well and create hybrids. To add to possible confusion. Heres another ID source. Its for SC but has most Oaks.

https://www.state.sc.us/forest/reftree.htm
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:10 am

buttonbuck wrote:
Ahawk116 wrote:Yeah that’s a good thing to do. As far as identification in your area you can pickup an Audobon identification book (that’s probably misspelled) or something worth trying is downloading an app like leaf snap to help.

GeneralLee wrote:

GeneralLee wrote:

Ive read that Oaks can interbreed as well and create hybrids. To add to possible confusion. Heres another ID source. Its for SC but has most Oaks.

https://www.state.sc.us/forest/reftree.htm

I saved this pdf on my phone and use it as a guide. It covers oak species and distribution of the eastern side of the US.

https://www.fs.fed.us/foresthealth/tech ... dguide.pdf
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:23 am

You sure that ain’t a post oak?

It’s funny there are a hundred leaves in that pic but not one is focused very well to identify :lol:

GeneralLee wrote:

No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:29 am

Your most likely correct. That was my other guess from the photo. However they were most certainly feeding on the white oaks...post oak is a white oak species, but they do not have acorns this year in my area...nor are the preferred to a white oak.

PK_ wrote:You sure that ain’t a post oak?

It’s funny there are a hundred leaves in that pic but not one is focused very well to identify :lol:

GeneralLee wrote:

JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:29 pm

GeneralLee wrote:

You can easily tell the difference between a white and red by their leafs. A red has pointed leaf tips and a white has rounded leaf tips. When you start getting specific about exact oaks species it starts getting pretty hard. Sometimes the acorn can help out. Just start slow, get a book and compare commonly found oaks around your area. Also for the most part the majority of people are clueless about exact species. For some reason people have an obsession with calling every oak a pin oak :lol:
HeadHunting

Unread postby HeadHunting » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:13 am

MrT wrote:I saved this pdf on my phone and use it as a guide. It covers oak species and distribution of the eastern side of the US.

https://www.fs.fed.us/foresthealth/tech ... dguide.pdf

Good document to have, thank you for sharing
Head
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:20 am

Going to hit on something that has had me going "yeah, that's not what I see" while reading and listening to beast tactics the last five years.

The thought of bucks bedding on the edge or just inside of thickets and looking into the open. I just rarely see that down here, and when I do see it, it's the very beginning of season and they're basically laying in the oaks.. Most times the bucks are tunneled into the middle of the thickest, gnarliest stuff that can be found.

Dad shot a really good buck the other evening that made it 500 yards from the white oak tree he shot it in under. 450 yards of that run was through 5-8 foot high cutover full of briars and replanted pines. We found him on a little finger ridge tucked deep into the middle of it with fresh beds and buck crap all around the one he died in. I feel sure that he lived on that ridge the majority of time, tucked deep into that entanglement. 450 yards from oaks to the east, 320 yards from oaks to the south, 1000 yards from oaks to the north, and 500 yards from oaks to the west.

Curious to see if other southern guys see this as well?
HeadHunting

Unread postby HeadHunting » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:28 am

thwack16 wrote:Going to hit on something that has had me going "yeah, that's not what I see" while reading and listening to beast tactics the last five years.

The thought of bucks bedding on the edge or just inside of thickets and looking into the open. I just rarely see that down here, and when I do see it, it's the very beginning of season and they're basically laying in the oaks.. Most times the bucks are tunneled into the middle of the thickest, gnarliest stuff that can be found.

Dad shot a really good buck the other evening that made it 500 yards from the white oak tree he shot it in under. 450 yards of that run was through 5-8 foot high cutover full of briars and replanted pines. We found him on a little finger ridge tucked deep into the middle of it with fresh beds and buck crap all around the one he died in. I feel sure that he lived on that ridge the majority of time, tucked deep into that entanglement. 450 yards from oaks to the east, 320 yards from oaks to the south, 1000 yards from oaks to the north, and 500 yards from oaks to the west.

I have to agree thwack16, on recent in-season scouting I completed, I checked close to the edges of a thicket just like you describe and didn't see any signs of bedding right there on the edge or within a couple feet of it, the trails seemed to push much deeper into it. I will continue to look and pay attention to this but as of right now I am seeing the same thing. Seems that they just utilize them differently in the South, maybe just Mississippi because that is where I hunt as well?
Head
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:15 pm

thwack16 wrote:Going to hit on something that has had me going "yeah, that's not what I see" while reading and listening to beast tactics the last five years.

I'm glad you brought this up because I've seen a lot like this as well.

Here's some observations I've made the last season and a half focusing in on bedding amongst the wide variety of landscapes that is North Carolina...

In eastern NC, a lot of flat land. A lot of cypress swamps in the area I hunt. I have yet to see or bump a nice buck that wasn't coming from or bedded right next to water. Creeks, river, swamps, etc. They were all right next to it where they were protected by water on one side and were surrounded by thick weeds, grass, briars, etc. Most of the time there was a food source dropping directly overhead. I've found several younger bucks like the one below bedded on small islands in the swamp that were in less cover but yet to see a mature buck.

20201013_222435.jpg

The thicker areas where I find buck sign is just like the same I find throughout the state. I have followed rub lines through many a thicket and have found beds in the middle of them directly under a food source and where there is just enough room for the deer to move between the young trees. Often when I find these beds, the immediate area around them is matted down as if they are spending a lot of time back there circling around the tree eating the food source, usually acorns. It doesn't surprise me that I've never seen a mature buck in spots like this because it's nearly impossible to slip in quietly. Also, extremely hard to see ahead of yourself. Most of the time when I follow these trails through these thickets I come out into these open pockets usually canopied by a much older and larger oak tree. I've set up on these spots a few times with no luck yet. Theres pretty much always a trail on the other side of this opening which leads through the thicket further into another opening. Last January I followed a trail through a dozen openings like this before finally making it to a creek, where I found the biggest buck sign. This was probably at least a half mile either direction through thickets before you got into open woods. I suspect they get this deep in there when our gun season comes in and the pressure really pours on. Along with the trouble of getting back there undetected, it's a chore to navigate. I've yet to hunt that deep in there, but I expect it will be pretty daunting to come back through in the darkness. These places are for sure a one time sit. I've yet to try it this season because I'm trying to exhaust the surrounding areas outside the thickets in hopes to catching them coming out of there. I'm confident they would remain back there until I tried because no sane person would go in there.

In the hills and mountain regions of NC, I do find bedding just as described in Dan's Hill Country video. These areas are further from where I live, so I have spent less time on them.

I hope some more experienced beast hunters from the south and southeast can chime in and share their thoughts and observations. I believe from what I've seen so far that the bedding in the south vs the bedding often seen in Dan's and THP's videos is an apple to oranges comparison, however, the principles to WHY they are bedded there still hold true.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:49 am

I agree. I asked this question about 3 years ago and it seemed to be dismissed, but my observations are very similar. The difficulty is it’s very rare that you find an area like you described that you can get close to. I’ve found 3 and killed a buck in one of them, and wounded one in another. All 3 setups required me to be on the ground.
So a little more detail of something I’ve noticed. When you find areas like you described as the pines age the undergrowth thins out. They are basically impossible to hunt from the age of 4-7, but the couple of years after that it seems like bucks still use the area, and you can get close for a ground setup.

dannyboy

Unread postby dannyboy » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:32 am

From Alabama and this has been the slowest early season for me in years. Trying not to get frustrated as I know early season down here is tough to begin with but expected more action to this point. Been a beast hunter for more than six years so I feel I know at least somewhat what I'm doing. Last year was similar and then when the rut rolls around in January, things get good. I've learned to stay out of my best places until then but have found bed hunting success or oak tree success is hard to come by without a good measure of luck. But with that said, I think you have to be patient and persevering as you know your season can turn around in a couple of minutes!
AndreSaavedra

Unread postby AndreSaavedra » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:08 am

The Mediocre Hunter wrote:
Southern slayer wrote:Great post ! One question I have about slipping through these extremely thick areas is; how do you navigate the briars ? Some of these areas are so thick I can’t walk through the little pine trees, because they are so close together. Also, how far can you shoot with a shotgun using 00 buckshot ? :doh:

They was a guy on another thread that mentioned that he uses pruning shears to get through those briars. Another talked about briar pants, a Carhartt jacket and thick larger gloves. Both ideas sound solid.

Where i hunt you could not get through without cutting, no matter what you are wearing...pruning shears work

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”