Groups of Fawns

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

rochester coops

Groups of Fawns

Unread postby rochester coops » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:03 am

Seems like this time of year the farm I hunt is reduced to groups of fawns, every year. Occasionally I will get onto something a little older, but often only see groups of 2 to 6 fawns running together. This is post rut and a week into gun season. Not a lot of good cover on the farm, lots of open fields and open woodlots with limited cover since the leaf drop. Anyone else experience this? I'm basically down to bed hunting the best areas just before dark with the gun for any chance now. Oh, and very minimal pressure on this farm.

PublicLand

Re: Groups of Fawns

Unread postby PublicLand » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:23 am

Sitting at the kids table Looking for the boom boom room
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:00 pm

I often see a higher percentage of younger deer in the late season. I think older more educated deer just don’t make it that far from their bedding and or they have better more secure bedding than younger deer that I haven’t yet pinned down.
Persistence is undefeated.
fenderbender62

Unread postby fenderbender62 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:12 pm

Yup, they're just more reckless than the older deer who are becoming more nocturnal by the day
what one man can do another can do
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:30 am

When Mommy runs off to do the wild thang a lot of little ones expose themselves...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:18 am

I've shot ab buck one time with several fawns around and mom bleeting in the background but that has not been the norm. Usually it is just the kids and the mom if off somewhere else with mr buck or your get a yearling buck bumping the fawns around. I might try some new areas.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”