The buck that got away...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

The buck that got away...

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:23 pm

I wondered if I should share this story as its not technically hunting, but after the dust settled I thought it was pretty funny so here goes.

To preface this story, my wife and I welcomed our newborn son into the world in late September so I haven't been able to hunt or scout much and have not really had any leads on bigger bucks. I've been kinda bummed, but up to this point kept a pretty positive attitude about it.

I'm lucky enough to have some paternity leave Monday and Tuesdays each week to spend with my son while my wife tries to get some work done (she works remotely from our home). Last Monday, which happened to be the third day of gun season, I was sitting on the couch in the living room at home trying to console an inconsolable screaming baby. My wife, who had enough of the screaming, went into our bedroom and closed the door so she could focus on getting some work done without all the noise. About 20 minutes later with the baby still screaming I notice a vibration from my phone. Its my wife calling me to tell me that there is a huge buck under the apple tree in our backyard. I jump up from the couch and look to my amazement at the animal tearing up the new grass i've just seeded this fall while making a scrape under the tree. We live in the country so its not uncommon for us to see does and the occasional scrub buck during daylight hours, but never a decent buck. They are smart enough to only show up in the middle of the night.

So as I see this happening in the backyard I am scrambling to find a place to set this screaming baby down, my wife is screaming for me to shoot the deer, the cat is freaking out from all the noise running circles in our kitchen, and eventually the buck starts to get nervous from all the noise as he is only about 30 yards from our patio door and can hear all the commotion from inside the house.

By the time I got to my shotgun and slipped out the side door of our garage he had bounded off into our small woods and over to the neighbors property. :doh:

I guess the moral of the story is it only takes 30 seconds to change your entire season and you NEED to be ready at all times for those opportunities. If I would have had another 30 seconds notice that buck would be hanging in our garage..luckily I had my trail cam out to at least capture a picture.

Jackson Marsh

Re: The buck that got away...

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:37 pm

:lol: :lol:

Sounded like a rodeo....he's a good buck too
Missionshooter

Unread postby Missionshooter » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:46 pm

I always have a gun loaded in the back room in case a coyote walks through the backyard. Shot a pair the other day
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:25 am

Hope you left the gun out this time!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”