Gun hunting strategies

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Gun strategies

Deer drives
2%
Sit all day
25%
Funnels
18%
Bedding areas
33%
Tickets cover one can find
8%
Just a comfortable stand somewhere enjoying the season with friends.
14%

Total votes: 51
backstraps

Re: Gun hunting strategies

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:05 am

trob_205 wrote:Where I live and hunt in southern MI it’s all about fields and small blocks of timber. With the ability to stretch out my effective range quite a bit, 95% of the time I trade the treestand and bow for a nice seat and tripod for my gun. Still “mobile”. My setups are still very technical and with purpose. If I think the best spot is close quarters I’ll grab the stand and bow again. I like gun hunting, just don’t like the craziness it brings!

X2!

Bigwoodslongbow

Unread postby Bigwoodslongbow » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:19 pm

Rich M wrote:
Bigwoodslongbow wrote:
Rich M wrote:You didn't allow for any flexibility - most guys hunt w gun the same way they hunt with bow, just a little further out.

Didn't even give the option of being a woodsman....where I come from those don't even apply to most hunters, most are trackers and still hunters.

Some folks think gun hunting is just walking in the woods and shooting stuff. No challenge cause the deer aren't all spooked off the properties and just stand there to be shot. LOL! Just having fun.

I've not found gun hunting to be any diff than archery, just as challenging and rewarding. If the rut is over, it is more difficult to see stuff if you don't beast hunt or have a good food source handy.

I think bow hunting is way easier 90% of my bucks come from bow hunting. In vermont rifle dosnt open until november 16th good luck chasing 1 buck even with a gun over 5,000 acre chunks or more with no pattern, they just cruise the mountains.

Gun hunting involves way more skill and woodsman ship where I live then bow hunting when the deer are patternable.
Not bragging or sounding like a jerk but id put a vermont, new hampshire and maine tracker way above anyone in the united states.

Ive been to nj,, pa,,,mass,,Ohio,,,illinois....ct...maryland...Michigan.....killing deer was easy
Wish all these tv and youtube people would step foot in vermont they would fail
365all_out

Unread postby 365all_out » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:00 pm

All good stuff - ya I might have missed some stuff/techniques but just figured I’d throw some of the let’s say basics out there.

I try different things every yr and like gun hunting due to the fact it takes a guy away from the weeks of his normal bow hunting methods - well at least for me. This yr I’ll be hunting some thick wet public land that I have learned over the last three seasons. I have payed more attention to the pressure it receives and from the neighboring properties. I’ve drawn up a map of know pressure and expected pressure especially if things freeze with the temps and pretty much will be putting myself in an area in the middle of all of this. This is my first time trying this.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”