Palmetto swamps ( Louisiana Public )

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GavinMcGee1

Palmetto swamps ( Louisiana Public )

Unread postby GavinMcGee1 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:21 pm

I am hunting public land in Louisiana. Primarily bottom land/swamps. Palmettos every where and oaks as well. The deer can literally bed and feed just about anywhere. I have been focusing on travel areas and areas that i am seeing the highest concentration of deer sign. What i am considering a travel area is a edge. Usually it will be a palmetto ridge at the edge of a bottom. Sometimes its just a faint edge between really thick cover and a little less dense cover. They seem to walk those edges as it is much easier to navigate through the palmettos that way. Another thing that i have noticed and it is definitely a common theme. The deer always seem to favor the areas that hold water in the woods. So far it has been a decent approach as far as deer sightings and a couple harvests go. But i am still trying to get on something mature. What do you guys think about this approach. I just want to be the best woodsman that i am capable of being. I know this is the place that i can get the advice that i am looking for. Thanks guys.

" Always harder working than the hardships working against me. "
Twenty Up
500 Club

Re: Palmetto swamps ( Louisiana Public )

Unread postby Twenty Up » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:26 am

I’ve struggled hunting South GA/North FL swamps exactly like you speak of. Even locations through Middle GA are very similar, but replace the Palmettos with Privet hedge.

Your best bet is going to find subtle to hard transitions within these areas, which means A LOT of walking. Bringing my dog really seems to help in February because he will sniff out and roll in deer beds. Without having him roll in the beds, I’d walk past 8/10 because they’re so subtle. Very few will be worn to dirt, unless it’s on a swamp island.

Bedding is dictated by foliage every time, regardless of hunting pressure. I’ve found the best bedding to come from Hairy Woodland Brome “Bromus pubescens” , River Oats “Chasmanthium latifolium“ and Longleaf Woodoats “Chasmanthium sessiliflorum” thickets along creeks and rivers. When these native grasses meet an open hardwood transition, I’ll find deer bedding every time. I’d bet the business on that.

Learning the plants helps identify bedding & food sources, determining what areas are worth your time and what to walk past. Blow through all the Palmettos and find where they meet open hardwoods or a beaver swamp. You’ll find a fat boy in there.

Hang cameras in spots you don’t understand completely, but in ways that you can somewhat determine route of travel. Video mode, 3 shot burst... Hang cameras for a reason, don’t just hang one to “find a big buck”.

Hunting Southern swamps is challenging and not like a cattail marsh from my experience. It will take you longer to find mature deer but it’s still possible.

Hope my rambling and examples help. Your native foliage will differ slightly but it sounds like you’re on the right track. Locate the transitions, hone in on the species of plants and you’ll be able to replicate that success.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Ahawk116

Re: Palmetto swamps ( Louisiana Public )

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:19 am

The only thing I’ll add to 20’s great post is if you throw a blowdown in the mix of those grassy edges it ups the anty even more.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”