Hunting around CRP

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cboyles

Hunting around CRP

Unread postby cboyles » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:10 am

Newbie so thanks for this great forum. Hunted Ohio public back in late October and seen a lot of action. I will say it was my first time hunting CRP and although it was a ton of fun it was also overwhelming and frustrating. Heading back in a couple week or so and would like some wisdom. Should I hunt in the CRP, the edge of CRP and hardwoods, or concentrate on the hardwoods? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

Trout
500 Club

Re: Hunting around CRP

Unread postby Trout » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:33 am

I really like being in the woods by the CRP, especially if there is a leeward ridge adjacent to it. At first I wanted to be on the edge, like I was hunting a field edge, but all the action kept being 30 to 75yds into the woods so I kept moving further and further away from it. It's hard to give up the visibility and it is hard to be so cut and dry cause I think it really depends on the spot a lot of times. Thick cover adjacent to CRP is usually a good bet.

A lot of times fish and wildlife will mow trails around the edge or curving through the center. There will be sign on the edges of these mowed paths, even a lot of rubs and scrapes. That's hard to walk by.

So then to completely counter what I just said, I talked to one of the guys who mows and he said he sees a lot of deer while mowing that are bedded in the CRP..

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”