Deer Camp

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
gsquared23

Re: Deer Camp

Unread postby gsquared23 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:00 pm

Haven’t been to deer camp since my grandpa stopped hunting and eventually passed. Don’t have the same access I used to, just a couple of small private farms. I suppose I could invite a buddy to go, but then I feel like I would be babysitting or something. Deer camp was special because of spending time with grandpa in a crappy, musty trailer with a very empty fridge, no tv and poor cell service. Those were the days...

Central Illinois - 6a/5b
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:18 pm

Some of my most cherished memories are from deer camp as a kid. Every year from around the age of 10 to my junior year in high school we made the trip for the entire week of thanksgiving. I learned how to build a good fire, sharpen a knife, tie good knots and woodsmanship. I could have missed out on all of those skills if my life took another turn.

I miss the cracking fires, tall tales and just the good people. Hunting has changed so much around here since those precious times of my youth. Now days there’s no fire because there afraid it will hamper there scent control, the old tall tales are replaced by restrictions of what one can an can’t shoot. I’m sure there are still a lot of really good deer camps with great people who get it. Just kinda sad that a lot of kids now days don’t get that full experience.

I hunt pretty seriously these days but it’s just not the same and I would trade my rut vacation for just one more of those good deer camp adventures.
“When standing on the walls of the Alamo the outcome has already been decided. All that’s left is to kill as many as you can.”

-Beth Dutton-
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:46 pm

Never considered the small group that I first gun hunted with a deer camp. We'd just all end up meeting up somehow. Sometimes I'd hike, others we'd head over in the car. Just my dad, eventually Lil' Bro', when he got old enough and some neighbors, that consisted of a father in law/son in law duo. Then occasionally another son in law would show up around thanksgiving. Along with various other friends of these neighbors, in some years.

We made the same drives each day, every year. So the success on kills was pretty low. But the commraderie was high. Lotta impromtu lunches shared at Joe and Aggie's, house. With plenty of stories and laughs.

Spent quite a few years driving 8 hours to eastern MT, when I lived out there. This was mainly a mule deer camp, but an occasional whitetail got killed. My buddies had truck campers, which we used for sleeping. I set up my wall tent, that we used for cooking, drying gear and socializing in if it was too cold to sit outside.

My buddies also had 4 wheelers, while I walked most everywhere. We'd split up and head our own way each morning. Some days I'd stay out all day. They'd usually go back to camp for lunch. We'd take turns cooking supper. And BS in the evenings. We all made plenty of successful kills. And most of mine got hauled out on a 4 wheeler. Great times.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
BAS4109

Unread postby BAS4109 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:18 am

My family has a deer "camp" (2 campers) in the Southern zone of NY. It is always fun to get together and share new stories and retell old ones. I have not missed an opening weekend since I was 11 years old (1987).

It's where I shot my first buck and where my dad shot his last, so it has a very special place in my heart.

We''ll be down this weekend for the opening weekend of gun season. Hopefully we'll be dining on inside loins. :D
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:33 am

I got an invite to a NY Deer Camp back in 2014. I stayed in the pop up camper with the attached "kitchen". :lol: Pretty good group of guys that welcomed an out of stater.

The land was held privately, with the owner allowing deer hunters to camp next to public. He was terminal with cancer and from what I understand, the hunters lost the ability to park there the next year when he passed.
America works when Americans work.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:21 am

muddy wrote:I think a northwoods experience would be a grand old time, Ive never even been to Michigan. Way north Wisco or MN would've neat as well

Uhmmm - throat clear...
I'm hurt Mud, you cut me deep this time...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:33 pm

If we are taking the literal meaning of "camp" then I can honestly say I have not participated in a deer camp in probably 6-8 years when we use to have a group of guys i use to save lives with in a cardiac/neuro unit. We "use" to set up tents and bring firewood and grill at night and wake up at 0400 in the morning freezing trying to light our buddy heaters just to put our hunting clothes and boots on. We had a good ole time. We all did this for about 4-5 years in a row, although our numbers would change form year to year. I even herniated my back grabbing my deer stand from the back of my truck one year (had to have surgery) fun times :violin: The past 3 years me and my buddy have been "camping" in airbnb's for 8 days a deer season in the beautiful state of Missouri. My buddy has killed a nice buck and smaller buck and actually ate his tag this past season. I on the other hand shot probably my biggest buck to date but nothing huge, but I am very thankful for this buck. But, I too ate my tag the past 2 seasons. Probably the craziest hunting story of my life ill be posting in the big buck contest although my buck doesnt hold a candle to the bucks already in the line up. Deer hunting and friends, I can not think of a better time.

Lagniappe: something given as a bonus or extra gift.
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:59 pm

I just returned from my family’s camp in the Adirondacks- we’ve had it since 1851. I represent the 7th generation to hunt the land, although there weren’t many laws 170ish years ago and they used to shoot them out of canoes in the summer with a gas lantern.
Lots of history and tradition there, wouldn’t trade it for anything. My granddad and his group all went in every year until they died in their 80s, 3 of the 4 went within 6 months of each other. I suspect my dad’s group will be the same.
Kevin2

Unread postby Kevin2 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:14 am

I've been part of 6 deer camps. Some are still going on after decades, and some have come and gone due to the leaders dying OR something else.

In the early days for me, the women would take the youngest kids to camp, usually on a weekend to hang out at the fire, eat great food, and talk about deer camp. Thanksgiving morning was another day the guys would head back out to camp with the kids to hunt in the morning before heading back for football and Thanksgiving dinner at home.

My dad would have me get permission to get out of school for 2 days during the 2nd week of the gun season as early as 10. I'd sit with my BB gun in the blind with my dad. That was a big deal getting into camp before age 12. Cards, great food, searching for deer, dressing deer, pool, learning about hunting from the old timers, and all sorts of men stuff you likely only find in deer camp. Deer camp and opening day are a holiday where I come from. It is a dying thing around here for sure. Trying to keep it alive isn't as easy as it once was.

"Hunt and let Hunt" my new saying...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”