High ridges over water - river, creek, lake

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

High ridges over water - river, creek, lake

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:58 am

Has anyone found that mature bucks gravitate more or less towards the side of a property when there is a large steep drop off to water? My thinking is they generally wouldn’t because an entire avenue of escape if eliminated.

Curious to know what others experiences have been on properties like this.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
North

Re: High ridges over water - river, creek, lake

Unread postby North » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:20 pm

I've found multiple bucks this season bedding on the leeward slope overlooking a pond. Not that steep though, only about 30 degrees.

Last night actually I spotted a buck bedding just like this. With the foliage mostly gone he could scan the entire hillside on the other side of the pond plus a huge area on his flank. I suspect he picked that spot because there are a bunch of does trails he could view right from the bed.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Re: High ridges over water - river, creek, lake

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:31 pm

North wrote:I've found multiple bucks this season bedding on the leeward slope overlooking a pond. Not that steep though, only about 30 degrees.

Last night actually I spotted a buck bedding just like this. With the foliage mostly gone he could scan the entire hillside on the other side of the pond plus a huge area on his flank. I suspect he picked that spot because there are a bunch of does trails he could view right from the bed.

YeA I was more curious about if they might prefer bedding against the river ridge edge as protection against predators or not bedding as an escape route is eliminated. The ridge drops basically straight down 90 degrees and the buck would like die or be severely injured in an uncontrolled descent. There may be some edge below the top but not much.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”