Loose Lips Sink Ships

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

VaBowKill5

Loose Lips Sink Ships

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:57 am

So yesterday I killed a really nice 10 pointer on an overlooked spot on public land within 200 yards of a parking lot. The place has produced for me before throughout the years and I have managed to keep it a secret. After I shot him I made the mistake of telling a family member that really doesn’t hunt anymore and he came to help me get the deer out. I mentioned 3 different times not to tell anybody where I was at but apparently he told another family member who then told their mechanic who is an avid hunter and hunts with a large group. I know because he asked me about it and knew exactly where I was. I’m so frustrated I could throw something but I don’t want to burn any bridges however, now I know. I’ve been secretive for years but I didn’t think it would be a problem with him. The older I get the more I want to be off by myself. Anybody else had this happen and how would you handle it?

Jackson Marsh

Re: Loose Lips Sink Ships

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:04 am

Some people love to talk and just kind of HAVE to tell someone, those types of people should never be called for drag help and/or told where you are hunting. Guys that hunt with a "crew" should definitely never be told....you'll have that guy and 5 others screwing around in your honey hole.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:08 am

Not much you can really do. I doubt the person you took there meant to burn you. A deer cart makes it easy to get the deer from the secrecy spot to another spot you can bring help to.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:11 am

Yeah I deer cart is definitely on my list. This deer ran and died in a really steep hollow so I thought I could use the help. You live and learn.
Jurist

Unread postby Jurist » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:01 am

As my boxing coach told me when I was 14,,"Words are like bullets, once they are out of the gun you can't get them back"....

It is on you not on them.

A secret is not a secret when more than one person knows.
"We know they are lying,
they know they are lying,
they know we know they are lying,
we know they know we know they are lying,
but they are still lying."
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:46 am

Brings back memories.. I understand people like to talk but say somebody takes me along on something like that I’m not gonna rat em out. I may tell the story but never the piece of ground. I would probably confront the person. I wouldn’t be mean but I’d remind them that I asked them several times not do that. I mean if he said ok then what the heck.. your word should be good or I can’t trust you..

I’m pretty bad though.. I lied to my own dad about where I shot several bucks when I was younger. He didn’t think it was a big deal even though I told him to hush hush. He told everyone in town. Then my uncle absolutely loaded the small area with tree stands, blinds, and bait piles :oops: :cry:

When you live in small areas word travels fast and your spots get pimped out.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:53 am

I’ve had one of my best friends and fishing buddies ruin three of my favorite fishing spots for me. He’s a super social guy and honestly can’t help himself. Love the guy but the days of sharing every spot with him ended 15 years ago. Hasn’t been an issue since. Luckily he’s an awful deer hunter and wouldn’t listen to me me even I tried to make him better!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:16 am

Kraftd wrote:I’ve had one of my best friends and fishing buddies ruin three of my favorite fishing spots for me. He’s a super social guy and honestly can’t help himself. Love the guy but the days of sharing every spot with him ended 15 years ago. Hasn’t been an issue since. Luckily he’s an awful deer hunter and wouldn’t listen to me me even I tried to make him better!

Yep....some guys can't help themselves and don't think it's a big deal to blab all the details....don't tell them anything. Often times they are "good people."
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:26 am

Kraftd wrote:I’ve had one of my best friends and fishing buddies ruin three of my favorite fishing spots for me. He’s a super social guy and honestly can’t help himself. Love the guy but the days of sharing every spot with him ended 15 years ago. Hasn’t been an issue since. Luckily he’s an awful deer hunter and wouldn’t listen to me me even I tried to make him better!

I know exactly what you are talking about. My cousin just started deer hunting and fishing. After a couple of fishing trips he would post the pics on Facebook then proceed to tell anyone who asked where we caught them. Took him hunting with me last year and same problem. Although he is still a rookie, I am not and have worked my but off to figure out what I have. Well last week he posted his new gun and then again tells everyone where we will be hunting. I've asked him numerous times to not tell everyone on social media but he is not getting it. I won't be going out of my way to invite him to come with me anymore. If he does ask he is more than welcome but I won't be putting him in any of my money spots.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:01 am

Is it to late to make up a story that the deer ran quite a ways before it died where you found it.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:43 am

Last year when I was dragging my buck out out of state I ran into two different guys that asked where I shot it. I couldn’t tell the truth. Pointed in the opposite direction. The state had an online check in system. They wanted you to put a dot on an aerial map where you shot it. I certainly didn’t put it in the exact spot I shot it. Good luck I hope your spot doesn’t get ruined. My home public spots seem like they don’t stay good for more than two years. So many guys cycling in and out someone finds them.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:26 pm

I tell people about spots I don’t have time or a lot of confidence in. Then I say...”I’ll give you some spots but you have to tell me what you see”. Usually what happens is that they hunt it one or two times and don’t go back cuz they don’t like the access.
BowhuntR36

Unread postby BowhuntR36 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:44 pm

That stinks. Exactly why I have a standard reply for most people who ask where I shot it. "In the woods" I say with a big smile. And I agree with you that I like hunting solo more and more :lol:
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:49 pm

I've had people ask me where I shot this or that a few times. I don't even tell them the right town. My usual response is "I got it in the woods". They look at me kind of funny. Some get it and leave it at that. Some don't and press for more info. Then I'll usually tell them someplace I've never even hunted.
walleyeralph

Unread postby walleyeralph » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:49 pm

I think most people have done the same thing.For me it was a duck hunting spot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”