Found somehot buck sign today & need ideas for jumbo tree

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kevin2

Found somehot buck sign today & need ideas for jumbo tree

Unread postby Kevin2 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:11 pm

OK, hoping you all have some fresh ideas. I've found some fresh sign due to some snow last night, today. This is the largest buck tracks I've seen this year, and while he might not be a monster, he's at least 3.5 years old I'm thinking, which is a pretty good find for me. Square prints, 3 3/4 at least. Either way, I'm getting on him in the morning OR afternoon, depending on what idea I come up with to get into this tree. I've seen another set of prints in dirt in the general area, but this is a way better spot to get to him IF I can get in this tree somehow. Likely the same deer I had sign from not to far from this spot THAT I couldn't get a shot off while hunting him Tuesday night, he finally winded me and bugged out. THAT spot is likely burned now.

The tree is massive, a huge white pine that is so large I won't be getting any steps on it OR my climber! No limbs on the bottom 10 feet, no live limbs till about 15. I tried to get up into it, but my broken down old body wasn't having any of that, no matter now hard I tried! It is the only option at this location, and I searched up and down this area I saw his tracks in pretty good. I could hunt the ground, but I couldn't find a great spot that would give me enough cover to hide my movements in the general area & still have a shot, plus there is enough stuff in the way shooting up hill a bit THAT a ground hunt for this spot is likely not going to happen. He's cutting the edge of an old clear cut, and he is in the open for 20 yards & back into jungle. SO, 20 yards or nothing! It is bedding on both sides. Dense. I tried finding a tree I could get into on his route that offered a shot, but nothing. I didn't want to go to close to his travel line IN fear of alarming him. The Does are feeding this small area too.

I've considered a ladder stand, but I'm not sure I can even mount one of those on my own NOR do I honestly want to go that route.

"Hunt and let Hunt" my new saying...
Buckfever
500 Club

Re: Found somehot buck sign today & need ideas for jumbo tree

Unread postby Buckfever » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:25 pm

Why not lone wolf sticks with extension straps?
walleyeralph

Unread postby walleyeralph » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:58 pm

I had this same problem this year. I put up a ladder stand.I put one strap halfway up, the other by top step.was safer this way, getting that first strap on as I was on the ground, getting ladder tight 2 tree before i went up higher.
Kevin2

Unread postby Kevin2 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:48 am

Buckfever wrote:Why not lone wolf sticks with extension straps?

I'm leaning this way. Seems like my best option...thanks
"Hunt and let Hunt" my new saying...
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:22 pm

Buckfever wrote:Why not lone wolf sticks with extension straps?

I cant get them around half the trees I hunt.
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:26 pm

Like said above a ladder stand leaned up against the tree then strap it as you work your way up or the way I usually do it is use the "stackable" style sticks. I stack them together to my desired height wile they are on the ground then I stand it up against the tree and tie a rope as high as I can reach around the tree and then work my way up from there and hang my lonewolf up where the tree is smaller and more manageable.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:11 pm

If there is a solid branch you can get a rope over you could try single rope or double rope technique ascension. Probably not for you though since you mentioned your broken down old body. :)
RookieBeast2019

Unread postby RookieBeast2019 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:42 pm

Screw in steps if you can.

But not sure about the stand itself.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”