shooting at limited light hours

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
kher

shooting at limited light hours

Unread postby kher » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:42 am

Last year I shot and missed a broadside doe during last 30 mins legal light. This past Sunday I felt like I Deja Vu all over again. I went in scouted and set up on the best sign for an evening hunt. Doe comes last 15 mins of legal light and I miss a 20 yrd broadside shot again. Any recommendations or pointers shooting during those early morn or evening hunts?

“The more I practice, the luckier I become.”
Byron Ferguson
Edcyclopedia

Re: shooting at limited light hours

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:50 am

3D deer target practice @ low light conditions along a tree line or something comparable... From an elevated position

Training your eyes is important too, I typically follow the leg up to the belly and go 6" inward and upward...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:54 am

During my practice aiming sessions I was pretty surprised how the ezv sight helped with aiming in low light. I shot a doe the other in the last half hour, on a cloudy day. No probs. That sight isn’t for everyone. But I like it.
parkerdurham
Facebook: Parker Durham

Unread postby parkerdurham » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:58 am

I dropped the peep sight and have been shooting an anchor sight for about 10 years now. I love it as it helps with light and other shooting factors. That being said, it's not a one stop shop, and I can see how a lot of people would rather just shoot a peep.

In low light conditions, I really concentrate on focusing on the target rather than the pin. Shoot "through the pin" if you will. Focusing on the pin contributes to target panic, and that factor increases when you are struggling to see the pins in the dark.

Disclaimer, I still miss as much as the next guy, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
whi52873

Unread postby whi52873 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:04 am

I would assume this is a peep sight issue......I would increase the size of your peep sight or get rid of it all together.

if you can see your pins and the deer it should be no different than shooting a deer in daylight.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:20 am

whi52873 wrote:I would assume this is a peep sight issue......I would increase the size of your peep sight or get rid of it all together.

if you can see your pins and the deer it should be no different than shooting a deer in daylight.

Agree with this. Just drill it out larger in 1/64" increments. Until your good while practicing at low light times! And reblacken the hole with a black sharpy. So you don't have glare in bright sun.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:24 am

I shoot a really big peep so light can get through and shoot with both eyes open. If I can see my pins I can shoot. I use the peep more for an anchor than anything and center the housing in it.

Lee
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:18 pm

Like others have pretty much said, practice/train for how you hunt. Maybe even lower you effective range as light fades.
How bad do you want it?
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:18 pm

Like others have pretty much said, practice/train for how you hunt. Maybe even lower you effective range as light fades.
How bad do you want it?
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:08 pm

stash59 wrote:
whi52873 wrote:I would assume this is a peep sight issue......I would increase the size of your peep sight or get rid of it all together.

Agree with this. Just drill it out larger in 1/64" increments. Until your good while practicing at low light times! And reblacken the hole with a black sharpy. So you don't have glare in bright sun.

I disagree w a larger peep. If you go larger you'll have to adjust your sight propely to fill the gap. The last thing you want is slightly off center and trying to line up the peep/sight rings.

Do not fall for the"low light peeps" out there on the market bc none helped me. Id suggest a blue peep

Marshbuster89 wrote:Maybe even lower you effective range as light fades.

This is most important. Depending on the lighting conditions - i wouldnt shoot farther than 15-20 only being able to see top pin. Too much can happen and too many twigs can be in the way if your dont remember the shooting lanes. This would obviously vary based on stand location like field edge hunting. Any farther then you'd have to account for the string jump plus its already dead quiet. Green seems to stay lit the longest i believe.

Bio1 wrote:I shoot a really big peep so light can get through and shoot with both eyes open.

I played around w shooting both eyes open and can be very effective. Have yet to try it in the field.

matt1336 wrote:During my practice aiming sessions I was pretty surprised how the ezv sight helped with aiming in low light. I shot a doe the other in the last half hour, on a cloudy day. No probs. That sight isn’t for everyone. But I like it.

This is one thing i have not tried. Very interesting sight, good reviews from people who have tried it - when the eye works properly. Some reviews people left were about lost opportunities bc it wasnt lit up.

One thing you can try is a high dollar sight. I dont like spending money but the better sights on the market have finer pins, stay lit slighlty longer and some have great sight rings. Spot hogg sights have bright yellow ring on them and seem to work better than a basic sight.

Find something you think will work for ya and try it.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:10 am

matt1336 wrote:During my practice aiming sessions I was pretty surprised how the ezv sight helped with aiming in low light. I shot a doe the other in the last half hour, on a cloudy day. No probs. That sight isn’t for everyone. But I like it.

This is one thing i have not tried. Very interesting sight, good reviews from people who have tried it - when the eye works properly. Some reviews people left were about lost opportunities bc it wasnt lit up.

I shot a doe with the light fading earlier this week. The sight worked great. Also I was stuck sitting after dark last night and a drew back a few times. I think it’s the lack of pins the helps. You just have the frame of the sight to worry about. I really like it so far.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:19 am

matt1336 wrote:

I shot a doe with the light fading earlier this week. The sight worked great. Also I was stuck sitting after dark last night and a drew back a few times. I think it’s the lack of pins the helps. You just have the frame of the sight to worry about. I really like it so far.

Oh im sorry yeah thats the one w the different inserts. I had the two mixed up. My apologies...

I thought you were referring to the IQ bow sight. Which has the eye that lights up on top and you align it with the pins.

EZV looks great. Swapping the inserts to tune turns me off a bit but i like the bright yellow.
jchang3

Unread postby jchang3 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:52 pm

Are you using a multi-pin or single pin sight?

Did you miss because you couldn't see the deer through your sight picture?

I didnt have problems with missing deer during low light situations but in my early bow hunting years I had trouble using the right pin in the heat of the moment. It made me miserable when I couldn't recover a deer I shot.

I switched to a single pin sight (hha kingpin) and never had an issue now. I set my pin to 27 yards and practice with it from 0-30 yards. Anything under 30 yards, I will aim center of the deer’s chest cavity and be in the killzone.

Haven’t missed or not recovered a deer once I made the changed. (Knock on wood)
trob_205
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robertstravisj

Unread postby trob_205 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:50 am

One thing I would check is making sure you have a solid anchoring system. Shooting in the daylight, it’s super easy to see your not aligned properly and you’ll subconsciously make adjustments to your head position and not realize it’s not perfect. Maybe your peep need needs to come up or down for your natural anchor or add/move a kisser button if you don’t use one already. Draw back with your eyes close and get comfortable. Then open your eyes. If you have to move your head because your peep is too high or too low you have some adjusting to do.

Be careful drilling out your peep. Once they get too thin they oval out and break. Most are $10 so I’d just recommend getting a new one.

Another thing to look at could have been mentioned already but they make super high viz rings for your sight housings and those seem to be pretty cool.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:43 am

I now shoot an HHA Optimizer single pin and replaced my peep sight with a kisser button instead. The kisser gives me a good reference to make sure I’m anchored properly and my field of view has greatly improved. My accuracy actually got better even at longer ranges and I have absolutely no regrets for ditching the peep. Low light shooting is not a problem anymore.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”