Your internal motor

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

briar
500 Club

Your internal motor

Unread postby briar » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:48 am

Ya know, over the course of the season I really enjoy following the live from the field thread. I see a lot of great guys putting forth an incredible amount of time, money and most of all EFFORT in the pursuit of a deer.

It makes me curious, where does that drive come from? What motivates you? Is it just the challenge? The feeling of success? Do you just like hunting or the outdoors? Is it validation?

It interests me, cause I just don't care about deer. I want to, I like to go out, but only to the point where it's not expensive, time consuming or hard. I struggle with finding a way to make shooting a buck or any deer really matter to me at any level. I feel like I've done that, how different could another be?

Post your thoughts if your sitting in a swamp or on a hill freezing your but off after skipping sleep, work, time with family and physical comfort to kill yourself getting to a spot that offers no more than hope that your goal will be accomplished. What makes it "worth it"?

Huntress13
500 Club

Re: Your internal motor

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:57 am

I think that Dan has some posts that hit this right on the head. One was about passion. Another was about want to. Similar themes and lots of comments in those threads expressing just what you're asking.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:19 am

It is in my soul. I have always wanted to deer hunt as far back as my first memories in life. I'm not sure why.

I get depressed if I am not able to hunt or fish. It does something to my inner being.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:27 am

Its the thrill of the chase! Hunting one down and beating the odds.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:36 am

I do think drive is more of an inherent personality trait than many give it credit for. Some people are just wired that way, others not at all, and many of us in between.

I'm not a 24/7 all or nothing type. I have a lot of pride and would never want to be thought of as lazy. I work very hard at my career, being a husband and father, and hunting, but I can't hang with some of you guys. I used to beat myself up about it. Now I try to appreciate who I am a little and find my own speed and style. I still put in WAY more effort and energy than most of my other hunting friends, but compared to many of the guys on here, I'm lazy as all heck!

Its supposed to be fun. For some guys, fun is driving themselves to the brink. If that isn't you, don't worry about it, do what makes you happy, imo anyways.

As for the not caring about deer part, that's totally fine too I will say, deer drive me nuts, I think about deer hunting for measurable parts of the day every day of the year. This is my passion. For me it isn't really a choice, its just in there and I can't, and wouldn't want to, turn it off. If that isn't you, I wouldn't try and force it, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:51 am

oldrank wrote:It is in my soul. I have always wanted to deer hunt as far back as my first memories in life. I'm not sure why.

I get depressed if I am not able to hunt or fish. It does something to my inner being.

This.

And like Mike said it’s the thrill of the chase. I’m addicted to the matching of wits and pondering the unknown. What will I kill this season? Will I even kill one?

There’s something about the struggle that makes success so sweet. Especially if you can pull it off on public land where anyone could have accomplished what you did, but they weren’t willing to put forth the time or effort that it takes.

Someone could offer me a hunt somewhere and say “there’s a huge buck that walks this fence line every night. Pick one of those trees and you’ll kill him.”. That doesn’t really interest me. To me that is killing, not hunting. It’s not about the kill, it’s the path you took to get there.

I’m not me without some Mother Nature in my life. When I’m in the woods I’m at ease... and I feel alive. There are no bills, bosses, or deadlines. No traffic, no drama, no distractions. It doesn’t get any better than that.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:01 am

The challenge of putting all of the puzzle pieces together and doing something I've always innately wanted to do but never took up until a few years ago. Learning, attempting to master something that may never be 100% masterable. (if that's a word) Being in the woods is a big bonus. Enjoying the slog, even if I felt a little deflated on Sunday.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:01 am

It's all about the adrenaline rush, even when a fawn gets close. And then talk about the rush when it's a mature buck. Nothing else I've tried comes close. Well maybe one thing. But you sure can't get it from drugs!! I crave for that fix like a junkie craves crack! Yes the scouting is extremely fun. And I really enjoy being outdoors. But it's all part of a means to an end. To get that rush. No matter if I kill or not.

Lot's of people don't have real passions these days. They go with the flow and just let whatever happens to them happen. Or they live through other people, by watching TV or videos. Most never use their own imaginations. I guess you can be passionate about watching TV. But I think humans were meant to use their minds and bodies to problem solve and exert some energy after figuring things out.

It's okay if hunting isn't your passion! Just be passionate about something. For crying out loud even if it's tiddly winks!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:59 am

For me it was never an option whether to hunt or not hunt. It's just an inherent part of who I am. I need to In order to feel like myself. I just love being in the woods. Doesn't matter what I'm doing or what time of year. Just part of who I am. Deer hunting is just a logical extension of that and i happen to live in an area that offers good deer hunting. Just ask my wife when I don't get my fix I'm miserable. I haven't been on here long but I can already say I'm nowhere near some of the others here but it's just something I need to do.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:40 am

It’s all I have ever known. Hunting has been in my blood since I was born and my earliest memories revolve around my dad and grandpa hunting and sharing that with them.

The drive for me isn’t the kill. Sure that’s a nice ending but the journey is what it’s all about for me. It takes a certain type of person to enjoy the hard work. Many days I get home and am completely wore out and the body feels completely used up but I’m always excited to do it again tomorrow. Hope I never lose that excitement. I love the whole process and can’t imagine living without it. I might slow down as I get older but you can bet I will keep finding ways to make it fun.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:15 am

Thanks to all that posted. I really enjoyed your responses. I am so envious of you folks who just love what your doing and have that passion!! I hope I get that back someday, but as kraftd said if not, thats ok too. It's just so hard wanting to like something when you just really don't. It makes what should be enjoyable and relaxing into one more rushed task your trying to mark off your list.

Are any of you anxious in the stand like you should be somewhere else? I deal with that a lot. I'm never at peace in the woods.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:29 am

briar wrote:Are any of you anxious in the stand like you should be somewhere else? I deal with that a lot. I'm never at peace in the woods.

Never, actually the opposite. I am the most at peace in the woods than anywhere else.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:35 am

Thanks oldrank. See for me it's constant stress.. where do I go, will I mess up, what if the wind shifts, what can I wear not to sweat or freeze,where do I need to be at what time when I'm done...it's just consistent. I actually start to nervous sweat before anytime I am going out.

This week with the time change hunting after work was no longer an option and I could feel myself relaxing and the stress going away. At times it's just too much with everything else in life
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:36 am

oldrank wrote:
briar wrote:Are any of you anxious in the stand like you should be somewhere else? I deal with that a lot. I'm never at peace in the woods.

Never, actually the opposite. I am the most at peace in the woods than anywhere else.

x2! And some of my best days on stand I never saw a deer! Now, granted I've been so cold at the end of some days. That I was really glad to get home. But I was usually right back at it the next.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:46 am

briar wrote: It's just so hard wanting to like something when you just really don't. It makes what should be enjoyable and relaxing into one more rushed task your trying to mark off your list.

Are any of you anxious in the stand like you should be somewhere else? I deal with that a lot. I'm never at peace in the woods.

Man, there's alot going on there in your post.

It sounds like you definitely need to reflect on why you feel like you need to accomplish something in the woods. Why you're not at peace. Is it the idea that you need to be constantly productive, or that you're missing out on something else that you should be doing? Or that you're pushing yourself to a goal thats unattainable, so you can't be at peace knowing that all your efforts in the woods are going to be wasted anyway?

Earlier this season I definitely felt a drive to produce, and it took me several days of reflecting just to allow myself to relax and take time away from work and family. Time just for me. It took me a while to admit that I deserve it.

I think you're smart to think about how you spending your time. And why you're doing something if you don't seem to be enjoying it.

I took a buddy hunting earlier this season who had never been before. He was as able to take a shot at a doe and completely missed. But afterwards I asked him if his heart was racing. He said no-- he wasn't even excited about it. It didn't really turn his crank. There's nothing wrong with that either.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”