Northern NY state land buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jzehr

Northern NY state land buck

Unread postby jzehr » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:35 pm

After lots of scouting and watching nearly every video Dan has ever made I was able to pin point this guys exact bed in the cattails and preform a stalk. Big thanks to Dan and the whole Beast community!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TomMurphyNY

Re: Northern NY state land buck

Unread postby TomMurphyNY » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:37 pm

Great deer for the area! was it taken in the Adirondacks? Congrats
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:38 pm

So you stalked in on his bed? Not easy to do in cattails. Good job man, nice buck. :clap:
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
jzehr

Unread postby jzehr » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:42 pm

PK_ wrote:So you stalked in on his bed? Not easy to do in cattails. Good job man, nice buck. :clap:

Yes there was no trees to put a stand in, so I knew my only chance was a stalk. I waited untill we actually had a very high wind event in the area and the cattails were being thrashed around so loud I was able to move slowly and cover my noise. Kill was made at 15 yards
jzehr

Unread postby jzehr » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:44 pm

TomMurphyNY wrote:Great deer for the area! was it taken in the Adirondacks? Congrats

Near there, Tug hill region on the west side of the Adirondacks
TomMurphyNY

Unread postby TomMurphyNY » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:53 pm

Very nice! I live just south of there on the north shore of Onieda lake
jzehr

Unread postby jzehr » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:55 pm

TomMurphyNY wrote:Very nice! I live just south of there on the north shore of Onieda lake

Your in snow country just like us haha
TomMurphyNY

Unread postby TomMurphyNY » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:58 pm

Ooo you know it! We have a camp up on Lake Bonaparte that we hunt out of and i typically bow hunt state land in Madison and Wayne county.
jzehr

Unread postby jzehr » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:05 pm

TomMurphyNY wrote:Ooo you know it! We have a camp up on Lake Bonaparte that we hunt out of and i typically bow hunt state land in Madison and Wayne county.

That's big woods country out there! I hunt Jefferson and Lewis countys mostly on the tug hill and Western Adacks
jweber323

Unread postby jweber323 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:12 pm

jzehr wrote:After lots of scouting and watching nearly every video Dan has ever made I was able to pin point this guys exact bed in the cattails and preform a stalk. Big thanks to Dan and the whole Beast community!

congrats on a nice buck. I had a nearly identical experience, found this site in september and with all the info from hunting beast videos and podcast was able to kill an oddly similar looking buck my second time into a cattail marsh in central new york. Its definitely changed how ill hunt for the better.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:14 pm

Great buck!

PK_ wrote:So you stalked in on his bed?

What PK said, give us a little story to go with this, sounds interesting.
jweber323

Unread postby jweber323 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:14 pm

TomMurphyNY wrote:Ooo you know it! We have a camp up on Lake Bonaparte that we hunt out of and i typically bow hunt state land in Madison and Wayne county.

Weird catching this post, I am in onondaga county. I dont know if its a good thing or a bad thing that theres other guys on here nearby!
jzehr

Unread postby jzehr » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:15 pm

jweber323 wrote:
jzehr wrote:After lots of scouting and watching nearly every video Dan has ever made I was able to pin point this guys exact bed in the cattails and preform a stalk. Big thanks to Dan and the whole Beast community!

congrats on a nice buck. I had a nearly identical experience, found this site in september and with all the info from hunting beast videos and podcast was able to kill an oddly similar looking buck my second time into a cattail marsh in central new york. Its definitely changed how ill hunt for the better.

That's great! I've had so many more encounters since I've started trying to Target bedding
jweber323

Unread postby jweber323 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:22 pm

jzehr wrote:
jweber323 wrote:

That's great! I've had so many more encounters since I've started trying to Target bedding

Id be sitting the same old prehung sets seeing small bucks and does all season if i hadnt stumbled into this world.
jzehr

Unread postby jzehr » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:27 pm

headgear wrote:Great buck!

PK_ wrote:So you stalked in on his bed?

What PK said, give us a little story to go with this, sounds interesting.

Yeah so like I said earlier, the part of the marsh they were bedding in has no trees for a stand and the cattails are to tall for a ground stand. I listen too a couple podcasts where Dan talked about having some success stalking to the beds. So I figured that was my best chance, however I knew that I would need to get to within 20 or 30 yards to have a chance of seeing him. So as luck would have it they were calling for 65 mph wind gusts this past Friday and I thought that would be a great time for me to do the stalk as the wind would help conceal my noise and movement. I would get down sometimes on hands and knees and move about 5 to 10 yards and then stand up and scan for a few minutes then I would go down and move 10 more yards on the trail. I was worried about potential satilite bedding in some dog wood spots away from what I figured was primary bedding, that paid off because about an hour in I stood up and this buck stood up 15 yards away at nearly the same time and I was able to drop him! I was soaking wet and cold but totally worth it! The harder you work for the buck sometimes is more rewarding then any rack !

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”