How far do you worry about scent going?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DhD
500 Club

How far do you worry about scent going?

Unread postby DhD » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:52 pm

As the title states, how close do you think you can get? As with most things I am sure the answer is "it depends", but I could use some general guidance. I can only access one of my areas from the west side of the property and we have lots of west winds forecast. I need to get to the far east end to cut off some deer moving from north to south. How close thru the cut bean field would you be willing to go in order to get in? I am going to have to go thru the timber for a bit with the wind at my back to get to the east end of the property. Once I get to the Eastern border of the property I should be good. The next property over is full of cattle so the deer prefer not to go over there. Obviously I am trying to minimize the impact of my approach. Thoughts?

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
DhD
500 Club

Re: How far do you worry about scent going?

Unread postby DhD » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:59 pm

Basically thru all of my incoherent rambling what I am trying to ask is, how close to the timber can I walk thru the cut bean field before I should worry about my scent drifting in?
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:23 pm

I feel like this is a question without a good answer. I feel like it would be safe to say that it can be a good distance before you would be safe.

My thought on it is to use wind to your advantage. I do, then worry more about being seen and not knowing they are on me.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
ChasingFLATS86

Unread postby ChasingFLATS86 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:05 pm

I would say as far away as possible. It sounds like if you want to hunt you are going to have to walk through there.
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth. That means we should listen twice as much as we talk.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:24 am

I have a similar access issue on a certain property and have wondered the same thing.

I have zero evidence one way or the other, but my thought was that it wouldn't be bad if you can keep scent near other places that have human scent like a house or walking path or something. Or if you do it several hours earlier.

But I'm interested to hear what others think too
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:25 am

Ideally you never want your scent drifting into to a bedding area or anywhere you want to hunt. With that said sometimes you have limited access and you need to cross an area where your scent gets into the deer. Two things to think about are distance and relation to bedding. I have crossed upwind of bedding and shot a buck before, he was deep in a swamp and I was about 300 yards away on some high ground when I crossed so it can be done. You want to get in early and get as much distance between you and the deer as possible. I think sometimes you can get away with it and other times not so much, lots of variables but the only way to know is to try and see what happens.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:28 am

The narrowest part of the beans is about 350 yards.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:04 am

Kinda depends on the situation. Alot of Beasts hunt near/in areas that have a good amount of human traffic. The deer are used to it, and even mature bucks may hold tight in beds 100 yards from these traffic areas.

If your area doesn't get much human pressure they may sneak away if they smell you from 600 yards.
Only way to know what you can get away with in your situation. Is to hunt it a few times and figure it out!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Jeff25

Unread postby Jeff25 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:46 am

I would stay as far away as possible and walk as fast as I could
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:31 am

There is a grain silo on the north end that you can hear anywhere on the property. Farmer is in there pretty much daily. I think if I stick to the far end of the bean field I should probably be ok. I hadn't seen it discussed here before and wanted to get some more experienced opinions before I just go charging in.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:37 am

DhD wrote:There is a grain silo on the north end that you can hear anywhere on the property. Farmer is in there pretty much daily. I think if I stick to the far end of the bean field I should probably be ok. I hadn't seen it discussed here before and wanted to get some more experienced opinions before I just go charging in.

Pretty sure Dan has a vid somewhere showing something similar. James recent HB vid also has a similar situation.

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=52422
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:37 am

Same thought as above. I have a number of similar areas. I will try to stay as far away as reasonable, and loop in. One spot has a very active farm, so they smell humans. Another spot, I go out of my ways a bunch, but I’m sure some faint smell drifts thru? But I’m in the 350-650yds away. Have had good deer sightings after doing so.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:53 am

There's a deer farm in my area. Once a year they give the doe's a shot to bring em all into estrus at the exact same time. Should see the monsters that get hit by cars right there or ones pacing there tall fences. Oh ya the closest woods is more than a mile away. Don't ever underestimate there nose. Blowing into where u suspect the deer are is never a recipe for success no matter the distance IMO.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:31 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:There's a deer farm in my area. Once a year they give the doe's a shot to bring em all into estrus at the exact same time. Should see the monsters that get hit by cars right there or ones pacing there tall fences. Oh ya the closest woods is more than a mile away. Don't ever underestimate there nose. Blowing into where u suspect the deer are is never a recipe for success no matter the distance IMO.

Is this shot available in like a dart gun form?

Asking for a friend
Strategically Inefficient
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:41 pm

Stingray713 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:There's a deer farm in my area. Once a year they give the doe's a shot to bring em all into estrus at the exact same time. Should see the monsters that get hit by cars right there or ones pacing there tall fences. Oh ya the closest woods is more than a mile away. Don't ever underestimate there nose. Blowing into where u suspect the deer are is never a recipe for success no matter the distance IMO.

Is this shot available in like a dart gun form?

Asking for a friend

Ha! I used to have grand visions of putting a doe in a horse trailer and backing her up to the woods edge then shooting her up right about the time necks start to swell. Also for a friend :lol:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”