Guns driving through Illinois

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BuffaloBill

Re: Guns driving through Illinois

Unread postby BuffaloBill » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:01 am

jmaas07 wrote:Thanks for all the info guys. I think I saw something posted here before where you pick a state you hold a concealed permit in and on a map it shows what states honor it, does anyone have a link to something like that?

There is an app called Legal Heat. Pick a state and it will show reciprocity and gun laws.

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:14 am

gsquared23 wrote:Illinois resident here.

It does not have to be in a locked case, it simply has to be in a case (even a gun sock will do) or made inoperable, and has to be unloaded. Same thing for bows, but you can put a lock around the string and cable making it inoperable as an alternative.

That applies to licensed residents. It does not apply to nonlicensed nonresidents. Nonlicensed nonresidents are covered under Federal regulations.

US Code 926A.

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle:

Provided, that in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

DON'T STOP IN THE STATE! Once you do it's considered a destination and you then are subject to the laws of that state. This is how a lot of people get pinched when traveling.
hcooper84

Unread postby hcooper84 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:03 am

As a resident of IL did not know about the non-resident part. That is good information. I feel the chances of being stopped or searched are low, I dont see why a simple ziptie around the handle of your case (assuming a plastic case) would be enough for it to be considered locked.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:00 am

I would take the car ferry across Lake Michigan or cross the Mackinac Bridge and drive around before I would drive through Illinois. :lol:
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:00 pm

Gawd this state sucks
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”