Tips or tricks to stay warm this Rutcation

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MNarrow

Re: Tips or tricks to stay warm this Rutcation

Unread postby MNarrow » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:17 am

Arctic Shield Classic Elite Body Insulator Suit - on sale now at Scheel's for $174.99:

https://www.scheels.com/p/arctic-shield-classic-elite-body-insulator-suit/665398-555180403018.html?cgid=all

Sold my HBS after using the Arctic Shield. The Arctic Shield suit is actually windproof when HBS claims to be fall way short.

I also like the Sitka Incinerator muff with a rechargeable hand warmer inside.

Arctic Shield boot covers.

Sitka neck gaiter.

fr0sty

Unread postby fr0sty » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:32 am

Neck gaiters as other have said are a must. I also put one inside my hand warmer muff, along with hand warmers to help even more. This year I'm trying out wiggy's lamilite socks, with good results so far (32 degrees). (https://www.wiggys.com/footwear/13-lamilite-socks/)The crazy thing about them is my boot sprung a leak and the sock got a little wet, but somehow my foot heat pushed the moisture away from my foot, so I didn't freeze. When I took my boot off I could see the outside of the sock was damp, but the part touching my foot wasn't. I'll report back at the end of the season on how they work.

I'm also experimenting with taking out my boot insoles and replacing them with a homemade ones made from "reflectix" material along with a felt/wool one. They seem to do a good job of adding warmth, but the boot support is less, making it a little more difficult to walk. I'm planning on on bringing them with during the gun season, then adding them in if the lamilite socks don't cut it on their own.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:24 am

Another thing that is important to consider when it comes to cold feet is boot size. There are many whose boots are too small/tight which compresses the air space that you need for the insulation properties of your socks to work properly.

This is the cause more often than one might think.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
802bowhunter

Unread postby 802bowhunter » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:32 pm

I dont understand I hear this all time from people.
Stop buying crap clothes stop buying camo.
Get johnson wool socks or filson socks.
Get johnson wool pants and jacket or filson wool jacket and pants.
Absel wool also makes good products.

Get lacross 100$ farmer boots with lowest insulation possible to keep ur feet from sweating with good wool socks u will do just fine.

I used to get cold all the time trying to look cool or get the latest greatest rubber boots and all that.... Then always noticed my,dad and old timers ice,fishing and,hunting in johnson wools never cold.

I made the switch and I will never ever ever wear cheap again.

Some of these responses are so complicated.
"The hunting is great, the killing is terrible."
Northern new england.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:01 pm

802bowhunter wrote:I dont understand I hear this all time from people.
Stop buying crap clothes stop buying camo.
Get johnson wool socks or filson socks.
Get johnson wool pants and jacket or filson wool jacket and pants.
Absel wool also makes good products.

Get lacross 100$ farmer boots with lowest insulation possible to keep ur feet from sweating with good wool socks u will do just fine.

I used to get cold all the time trying to look cool or get the latest greatest rubber boots and all that.... Then always noticed my,dad and old timers ice,fishing and,hunting in johnson wools never cold.

I made the switch and I will never ever ever wear cheap again.

Some of these responses are so complicated.

There’s a lot of truth in this post. I stopped buying Camo years ago.

Bob

Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:26 pm

Horizontal Hunter wrote:Hand warmers and toe warmers are good but for me the Thermacare back wrap is essential. It goes right over the kidneys which filter your entire blood supply several times an hour. For me it is a must have as the hardware I have in my back seems to draw the cold damp air in.

This is great advice and works extremely well.

Hot wets like coffee and tea, and even chicken broth, are great too. Neck gaiter for sure. Start cold.

I wear good merino socks, but have pretty much quit on all the "systems" a lot of folks are using. I just carry a spare pair and switch out to the dry ones if I get them sweated up on the way in. I find if my feet and socks are dry, a heavily cushioned pair of merino socks works better for me than anything else. YMMV.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:23 am

If there is ever a time when I prefer to hunt from the ground, it's the next 2-3 weeks. One way to stay warm would be to keep on the move and still hunt.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:39 am

Redman232 wrote:If there is ever a time when I prefer to hunt from the ground, it's the next 2-3 weeks. One way to stay warm would be to keep on the move and still hunt.

I know it's slightly off topic, but why the next few weeks off the ground?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:44 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Redman232 wrote:If there is ever a time when I prefer to hunt from the ground, it's the next 2-3 weeks. One way to stay warm would be to keep on the move and still hunt.

When you get chilled it is easy to pick up and move to warm up again.

Bob

matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:09 am

This pneuma heated vest thing is nice. Hbs is nice too. Honestly acclimation is the best for me. I don’t take hot showers. Luke warm to cold. I dress light when it’s cold. It’s 20 whatever degrees right now and I’m in a saddle with 400 gram boots a hoody a jacket the heated vest cheap cotton gloves and one layer of long underwear. I’m not toasty warm but I’m also not coming out of the tree anytime soon cuz I’m cold.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:46 am

greenhorndave wrote:

I move around a lot this time of year based on time of day. If I have all day to hunt I'll move 2 to 3 times throughout the day. Morning setup will be close to feeding area, mid day close to doe bedding and in the evening again closer to a feeding area. This time of year, if I'm not in the action, I'll move until I am. I'm not a sit in a funnel and wait type of person. (Not that there's anything wrong with it, it absolutely works).

Another reason I'm more inclined to move around, is the bucks are moving around, focusing on does, with less focus on surviving. I've had lots of encounters with love drunk bucks, where you can get away with all kinds of movement/adjustments.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:00 am

Redman232 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

I move around a lot this time of year based on time of day. If I have all day to hunt I'll move 2 to 3 times throughout the day. Morning setup will be close to feeding area, mid day close to doe bedding and in the evening again closer to a feeding area. This time of year, if I'm not in the action, I'll move until I am. I'm not a sit in a funnel and wait type of person. (Not that there's anything wrong with it, it absolutely works).

Another reason I'm more inclined to move around, is the bucks are moving around, focusing on does, with less focus on surviving. I've had lots of encounters with love drunk bucks, where you can get away with all kinds of movement/adjustments.

Sorry off topic...but I need to start hunting more like redman. Thanks for the reminder.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:02 am

Tuck everything in. Zip everything up. Wear multiple layers. Grow a beard and let hair grow longer. Don’t walk in with everything on and sweat. I wear uninsulated leather boots one size too big with thick wool socks and change socks at my spot. Chemical foot warmers when needed. Wind chill was 10 this morning with snow and I was fine.

Also agree with Redman on moving around
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:28 pm

Grey wolf woolens bibs with the comformax windproof lining and thinsulate insulation has worked well for me. Also use a first lite uncompaghre jacket and sitka stratus vest underneath in the low teens. Baclava with neck gaiter also.

Definitely on the over sized boots to give your room to wiggle your toes and add toe or handwarmers.

One thing I’d like to know is best way to keep my bow handle warmer. I put a window insulation strip on the front of the handle which helps but it still gets cold.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
RookieBeast2019

Unread postby RookieBeast2019 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:43 pm

Thanks for sharing everyone.

These are great. I’ll be using these for gun season too. :dance:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”