Yet another weather question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Huntress13
500 Club

Re: Yet another weather question

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:12 pm

moog5050 wrote:I too have off to hunt on Friday next door to you - 8H. I am planning to play it by ear. If there really are gusts in the 40mph or more range, I will sit it out. But if we are talking 15 to 20, I will be out there in a somewhat protected valley area. Good luck and be safe!

Looks like the high wind warning is ending at 1 pm now, so afternoon will be possible. I'll work half day then figure on being in the stand about 3.

Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:14 pm

Oceana wrote:20-30 gusts in Michigan last weekend and the deer were moving. Had a nice entry because the wind covered my sound... I use it as an opportunity to hunt thicker areas that would be difficult to enter undetected on calm days. My only problem is you cannot hear deer approach!

Edit- the 50-60 mph gusts may be dangerous or just flat out unenjoyable to hunt

Yeah you have to be extra vigilent to see them coming. Timing on the wind changed so should be possible for afternoon hunt now.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:32 am

Seen a monster last year during a major front. Gust were up to 40 mph. I kept telling myself I was a fool for hunting in that till I seen the bruiser stand up in the crp 60 yards from me. It was quite the adventure but would do it again. Got in clean, got out clean, and gathered the intel I needed to get on him the next sit. Fyi bedding grasses and crp are dynamite in these winds. Find yourself a good tree and hold on!
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Mschmeiske
500 Club
Facebook: Www.facebook.com/mschmeiske

Unread postby Mschmeiske » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:01 am

I was gonna ask the same about 20mph winds. I’ve got a spot with bucks showing at night and tomorrow looks like a west wind, which is good for this ridge/pinch point so I was hoping to hunt it! Figured maybe the front coming and deer possible getting rowdy, maybe I should be there?
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:47 am

may21581 wrote:Seen a monster last year during a major front. Gust were up to 40 mph. I kept telling myself I was a fool for hunting in that till I seen the bruiser stand up in the crp 60 yards from me. It was quite the adventure but would do it again. Got in clean, got out clean, and gathered the intel I needed to get on him the next sit. Fyi bedding grasses and crp are dynamite in these winds. Find yourself a good tree and hold on!

Well, I don't have a mobile tree setup yet. There is a huge field that I could go to, grasses, goldenrod. There is a hedge row I could sit on but I don't know that I could see anything much without being up in a tree. I think they funnel into one corner of this field and I could possibly sit on a little knoll in the hedgerow where I could see this corner. The west wind would be right if they stuck inside the field and didn't cut the hedge row to the east of me. I could check that out if I get in early enough and see if I'd have enough visibility there, and if not then go to my treestand.

The treestand I would choose is in a hardwood funnel on about a 100 yard tall hill near the bottom of the hill, and in the bottom of the hill is a marshy field with several trees / red brush in it. This field is pretty much surrounded by at least strips of woods on all sides, about 150 yards x 350 yards.
eazyduzit94

Unread postby eazyduzit94 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:50 am

From my observations when it's that windy they seem to stay bedded until the wind dies down. It seems like they don't like how much the wind affects their senses when it gets that high. I suppose if you can get in a real thick area or on a leeward ridge where there is a good wind break and an adjacent primary feeding area (corn field, bean field, etc) you may have some luck. On those 25+mph days I always struggle to get a definite wind direction. It seems to always want to go multiple different directions. Not to mention I always find myself moving way too much in the stand on these days. You can't hear them coming so I constantly feel the need to look around and over my shoulders. I feel like a dang bobblehead toy. I also always worry about the safety aspect as well. Those falling limbs and trees are no joke. Can't tell you how many close calls I've had with them. Also remember that those high winds will limit your bow shooting and arrow flight. So for me, I stay home on those days. Shoot the bow in the shop, watch Hunting Beast DVD's, or look at maps. Sometimes these days are good during a long bow season. They give you a chance to rut around the house :D ;)

Disclaimer: I don't kill mature deer consistantly yet either, so my advice above may be pretty lousy... :lol:
If shooting 130's was a sport, I'd have a gold medal.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:51 am

Huntress13 wrote:
may21581 wrote:Seen a monster last year during a major front. Gust were up to 40 mph. I kept telling myself I was a fool for hunting in that till I seen the bruiser stand up in the crp 60 yards from me. It was quite the adventure but would do it again. Got in clean, got out clean, and gathered the intel I needed to get on him the next sit. Fyi bedding grasses and crp are dynamite in these winds. Find yourself a good tree and hold on!

Well, I don't have a mobile tree setup yet. There is a huge field that I could go to, grasses, goldenrod. There is a hedge row I could sit on but I don't know that I could see anything much without being up in a tree. I think they funnel into one corner of this field and I could possibly sit on a little knoll in the hedgerow where I could see this corner. The west wind would be right if they stuck inside the field and didn't cut the hedge row to the east of me. I could check that out if I get in early enough and see if I'd have enough visibility there, and if not then go to my treestand.

The treestand I would choose is in a hardwood funnel on about a 100 yard tall hill near the bottom of the hill, and in the bottom of the hill is a marshy field with several trees / red brush in it. This field is pretty much surrounded by at least strips of woods on all sides, about 150 yards x 350 yards.

Alot of times during the prerut and run they will bed down wind from doe bedding in the crp to keep tabs on some hot does. Keep us posted if you decide to hunt this, curious as to what you see.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:12 am

30 mph gusts, sure. 50-60 mph, Im staying home lol :shock:
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:33 am

Winds are going to be crazy high in my area all day up until 1 hour before dark..I'm going to check a few cams and scout a bunch and hope to be set up on something promising for the last hour tomorrow...
Luke Muldoon has some good points in his HB Podcast regarding going into his spots to scout or check cams in these high wind / high rain type of days and I've found that to be a good tactic to get you in the game and gain Intel...
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:57 pm

Kokes wrote:Winds are going to be crazy high in my area all day up until 1 hour before dark..I'm going to check a few cams and scout a bunch and hope to be set up on something promising for the last hour tomorrow...
Luke Muldoon has some good points in his HB Podcast regarding going into his spots to scout or check cams in these high wind / high rain type of days and I've found that to be a good tactic to get you in the game and gain Intel...

Excellent plan!
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:23 am

Forecast is holding to 20 mph at 2 pm. Dropping 18, 15, 11, by dark. So it should be good.

Im going to try to get to that hedge row spot early, thinking if they are bedding in the field and heading west into that corner towards food I might have a shot. It will be a chance to scout that too because I haven't been over there for a couple of months. If I find hot sign maybe I can find a way to set up on it from the ground.

Its also 20 degrees cooler today than yesterday and it rained all day yesterday.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”