Am I in the game?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

botemple

Am I in the game?

Unread postby botemple » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:36 am

October 27th marked my first sit for the year. I was basically going into this piece of public blind as I had only map scouted and observed from a distance. My goal was to set up in the south treestand location for an observation sit. On the way in I came across a 6" wood post that had been rubbed with the main rubbing happening about waist high. The rub didn't look real fresh, but looked like it had some activity this year anyway. As I get to my tree I realize there is a well worn trail that runs right by my set up, but given the angle and the tree branches there is no chance I would have a shot. I was not real confident in seeing very many deer with that set up so I headed to the trees that are northwest from that location I pop my head into the trees and am immediately met with several small scrapes and one large super fresh scrape with a decent sized track in it. Realizing that this scrape is probably made at night given the location I follow the trail that leads back into where I suspect the deer to bed. I came across another tree stand that looks like it has been there awhile and they used screw in steps (shame, shame). As I peek my head over the edge just east of that tree stand I see another large fresh scrape. I did not go and investigate this scrape because given the size, freshness, proximity to suspected bedding, and being down in a bowl, I figured there was a good chance this scrape could get hit that evening. So I set up shop on the ground 25 yards from the scrape with a just off wind (thank goodness for milkweed because wunderground said my wind would be going right over the scrape. I had my first action at around 5:30 with a doe staying just inside the treeline working from north to south and then she curled and headed more westerly. About 15 minutes later a doe and a fawn worked their way up towards me from east to west, but before they reached the clearing, they turned around and went back. Finally at 6:15 (15 minutes before sunset) a small 1.5 year old 3x3 came from the south walked up to the scrape, smelled it, then was going to keep working north until he saw something that just didn't look quite right so he circled down wind of me and then bounded off once he smelled me. (He was at 10 yards before that happened, exciting when your on the ground). Below is an aerial on where I was hunting, the yellow dot is where I was set up on the ground, the blue line is the buck's route, the pink lines are the does route, thin red lines are the public private border. The area I have pictured here is only 12-13 acres and the trees are thick. What do you guys think, am I in the game or do I need to push in deeper into the thick stuff? How long should I wait until I hunt it again?

2019 sit #1.jpg

Scrape #1.JPG

This was the first scrape I came across
Track in scrape.JPG

This is the decent track that was in the scrape (I would call it a 3 to 3.5 finger track)
Scrape #2.JPG

This is a view of the second scrape in the bowl from my ground setup 25 yards away
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

botemple

Re: Am I in the game?

Unread postby botemple » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:09 am

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”