Shot and Clean Missed

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BK6

Shot and Clean Missed

Unread postby BK6 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:32 am

I was out last night, had a dandy 12 come in working scrapes/rubs. I took a shot at closing time, and sure enough clean missed him low. He took off to about 40 yards and stopped looking for what happened.
sitting there still as can be, he took off back towards bedding blowing the entire way. never saw me, or smelled me, wind was in my favor.
anyone have any experience with deer returning to the same location after such scenario? I know there is not going to be an absolute concrete answer. just looking for opinions.

Rsnyder
Facebook: na

Re: Shot and Clean Missed

Unread postby Rsnyder » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:17 am

I’ve often seen scent busted or shot deer head back towards where they were I assume they felt safe that direction. As It’s already been checked out
Drenalin
500 Club

Unread postby Drenalin » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:16 am

I haven't had very many close calls with deer result in them coming back in to the same setup. But I've had a little luck moving 50 yards or so and getting another chance at them. If you can get closer to bedding, or hunt it from another angle, I would think that's going to give you your best chance. It helps a lot if he didn't smell you.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:48 am

I have found that they will typically often return only under the cover of darkness and sniff around to investigate what happened. I'm assuming you walked over picked up your arrow and looked around for any evidence if a hit. So he has probably got you pegged there and will most likely avoid that spot during daylight hours. I'd move.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:58 am

I've hoped they would but never did
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:40 am

I killed this buck in 2014 I think, anyways I had heard of a good buck in that area but hadn't hunted it yet. Slipped in one evening and just sat on the ground where I could see good. Hadn't sat there 20 minutes and he came slipping through heading towards some doe bedding. He was approximately 40 yards and I took a shot with my rifle and killed a 2 inch sapling between us and he run off unscathed. :oops: 6 days later it was a very cold day and had been raining all day, but was clearing out. I took off work early and went in. Only had an hour til dark when I got there, but about 30 minutes before dark the rain quit. I had shifted about 75 yards from where I had missed him. Right at closing time I seen him coming, got ready and he hit a gap at 30 yards and I hammered him with the rifle. He run approximately 60 yards and stopped when he run into the tree.
Screenshot_20190828-201342_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”