James Squires, wind, thermals, hills, and when to be aggressive

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
James
ProStaff

Re: James Squires, wind, thermals, hills, and when to be aggressive

Unread postby James » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:27 pm

Cutter wrote:This past weekend I went out to hunt an area I knew bucks would be bedded. It's a ridge point running N to S. We had a predicted W to NW wind this weekend making it a decent time to go in and set up. However, once I got to where I might set up the wind kept switching from NW to SW essentially blowing straight up and down the entire bedding area. It was around 2pm. Also, the thermal currents kept switching. One minute they are going right into the bedding, the next they are pulling down the ridge as I wanted. My question is can you avoid this situation? How do you adjust? Or does it even matter? I appreciate all replies.

That’s a tough one. My first question is how strong were the winds? I’m assuming very light as you mentioned thermals in relation to an earlier time. They should be working opposite to how you mentioned here. Before sunset they will pull up with the heat rising. As the lower elevations cool, they will pull down. Second question is how high up on the overall elevation were you? Things get real squirrelly in hill country if you aren’t above the top 1/4 or more. Even then they can be a fickle beast depending on the topography.

Lastly I’ll say that in most hill country scenarios I’ve hunted you’ll learn that there is generally a “clean” wind direction. Meaning a forecasted wind where the hill country will route it in a predicted fashion. Dan refers to this as a wind tunnel. It is something that generally cannot be seen on an aerial or topo and something that has to be experienced firsthand.

My YouTube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/jamessqr
My hunting journal and blog - http://www.james-squires.com
Nelson87
500 Club

Unread postby Nelson87 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:47 pm

Great video James. Would love to see you break down some hill country rut hunts.
Cutter

Unread postby Cutter » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:21 am

James wrote:
Cutter wrote:This past weekend I went out to hunt an area I knew bucks would be bedded. It's a ridge point running N to S. We had a predicted W to NW wind this weekend making it a decent time to go in and set up. However, once I got to where I might set up the wind kept switching from NW to SW essentially blowing straight up and down the entire bedding area. It was around 2pm. Also, the thermal currents kept switching. One minute they are going right into the bedding, the next they are pulling down the ridge as I wanted. My question is can you avoid this situation? How do you adjust? Or does it even matter? I appreciate all replies.

That’s a tough one. My first question is how strong were the winds? I’m assuming very light as you mentioned thermals in relation to an earlier time. They should be working opposite to how you mentioned here. Before sunset they will pull up with the heat rising. As the lower elevations cool, they will pull down. Second question is how high up on the overall elevation were you? Things get real squirrelly in hill country if you aren’t above the top 1/4 or more. Even then they can be a fickle beast depending on the topography.

Lastly I’ll say that in most hill country scenarios I’ve hunted you’ll learn that there is generally a “clean” wind direction. Meaning a forecasted wind where the hill country will route it in a predicted fashion. Dan refers to this as a wind tunnel. It is something that generally cannot be seen on an aerial or topo and something that has to be experienced firsthand.

I attached a pic of my set up for reference. The square is a rough estimate of the bedding area. The winds were intermittent and would gust every 2 minutes or so. One minute they would gust out of the NW the next time a gust out of the SW upwards of 10mph. I was on top of the hill (my stand is the lowest pin on the left hand side) in this scenario it seemed to be the place I needed to be. I was set up on the edge of the thicket in a staging area. Good rubs and a scrape close by.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NYBackcountry
500 Club

Unread postby NYBackcountry » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:44 am

Excuse me sir, your lat and long are showing....
Wolfofmibu

Unread postby Wolfofmibu » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:18 am

James wrote:
Wolfofmibu wrote:Great video James !, do you plan to tackle some rut sits in the same manner?.

Yup, I’ve already been at it. I get a little more aggressive with my sits in the rut as they can come from anywhere, but I try to sit on the leeward side downwind from Dow bedding. This Thursday looks to be a good wind day for an all day sit like this.

I’ll be in Kansas starting next week hunting public all week. Look for some future film on that. We filmed and scouted last spring there.

Ok so you’re going for the upper 1/3 for an all day sit downwind of doe bedding?. I’m trying a leeward ridge set this year for the first time. I didn’t know if you sit low for the am, the head to the upper 1/3 when thermals change?. Or is there a spot where you can cheat both?. It’s a long ridge and has points every so often. Reason I’m asking is I found a trail low and high. And should I set up just off the valley kinda on the side of the points.? I didn’t really have time to scout this area but here’s a pic .where I had time to discover the cruising trails. Any thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”