Over bowed...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

Re: Over bowed...

Unread postby Kraftd » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:24 pm

stash59 wrote:
802bowhunter wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Dang it! I sometimes have the opposite prob with my recurve. Excitement kicks in and if I'm not paying attention to what I'm doing I will have that sucker pulled back behind my ear. I shoot everyday and sometimes in the heat of battle years of practice gets thrown in the waste basket. Finally figured out a heavy bow and a clicker work best for me in a hunting situation. But sympathize with ya even though opposite probs, guessing playing backyard hero you were King dingaling with the draw u had.

Lol I found myself instead of anchoring on my big tooth my middle finger was on middle of my neck lol the joys of shokting instictive!!
U get excited ans all fundamentals dissapear very quick with a stick bow.

Yeah, weird how having a pin in the sight picture calmed me down, enough to remember my shot sequence. Shooting a bare recurve bow my mind would stay blank and the entire shot process went out the window. Usually rushed everything, had no clue where my anchor was upon release. And dropped my bow arm upon release. Would have had an okay wall of racks, instead of a so so wall. :doh: :lol:

Same, shot instinctive with a compound the first 10 years I hunted. Could shoot as good as any of my buddies with pins out to 30 at the range. Get me in a stand with a deer in front of me and I’d forget to bend every time. Shot over the back of a few monsters... pins just give me something to focus on and snap me back to my process.

83mulligan

Unread postby 83mulligan » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:13 pm

This happened to me once, but with a better result. It was on only the second ever shooter I've actually been able to grunt call here in Michigan. Was across a river and not coming to me. Grunted once and he stopped and looked. Grunted a second time and he got super wired up. Came to river crossing and crashed through river to my side. He got out and walked right out to my 20 yard shooting lane. As he's about to pop out I draw and just cannot get my Darton 3800 to break over. I remember to myself thinking, "really? is this really happening?". I was able, somehow, to hook my knuckles with my chin and help finish the draw that way, lol. Made a successful shot and recovered him. A few days later my bow went on Archery Talk and sold. Have shot about 58 pounds draw weight since. Getting older has consequences!
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:47 pm

Oh man...sorry to hear that. I had a Michigan personal best walk by me 2 years ago when I hurt my shoulder. Tried to draw 4 or 5 times. Couldnt do it. Devastating. I got surgery and a new bow after that :lol:
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:22 pm

Sitting in the cold for hours at a time can make muscles constrict and thus make it more difficult. there is a reason why you warm up when weight lifting. Most people today have bought into the heavier bow the better but i have always disagreed with that. I will practice with heavier weights than I actually hunt with. A 40 pound bow, even in trad bows, will kill any buck walking. I agree with you, drop back on the weight, retune as needed and enjoy.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:32 am

Rigamortus...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”