Saddle platform

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
EllieTheChubb

Saddle platform

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:48 am

Ive been running the new saddle for a few weeks and so far I love it. Thank you everyone who commented on my post last fall to help me with the decision!

I'm using WE steps for my climb and to stand on. so far no foot issues and I can walk the whole tree. It can be a pain to get several steps on the same plane but I'm overcoming it.

My question is this. Are the saddle platforms a big improvement over a ring of steps? It just seems like unnecessary bulk to me after doing the ring for the last two weeks.

heartdart

Re: Saddle platform

Unread postby heartdart » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:24 pm

Yes. I use wild edge steps, and I used them as a platform for three months. There is a big difference in comfort and shooting for me. That said....others may disagree because using a saddle is different for everyone. What works for me may not work for another. If this helps, I'm 6' and 200lbs. I hang my tether at either forehead or chin height. It is worth the extra 3 pounds for comfort and time setting up. I also had a hard time getting the wild edge steps on the same plane. When I get to hunting height, I just hang my platform with one strap. I like to put a wild edge step on either side of the platform.
Last edited by heartdart on Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:28 pm

I use a ring of steps on a ratchet. I stuff them in my hand warmer muff, takes me less then a minute to have them quietly on the tree. I tried the we steps when I started but I found them taking to long to setup as a ring. Plus they are bulky in comparison.
ChasingFLATS86

Unread postby ChasingFLATS86 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:48 pm

This is my first year using a saddle and I have only used
a bullman ring of steps (5) with a over center boat buckle. They work pretty well the only issues I have run into is step spacing which is on me and will come with experience and leaning trees have been a bit of a pain I feel like I'm searching for a tree to be in and not getting into THE tree I need to be in if it's a leaner. That is why I will be purchasing a platform for the leveling ability also I think it may be nice to be able to stand up for a little bit now and then.
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth. That means we should listen twice as much as we talk.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:57 pm

Ring of steps is fine and has worked for many years now but I prefer using a Predator platform. I can easily shoot all the way around the tree with it and set up is extremely quick and easy. By design it packs up so compact so it’s really easy to carry.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:05 pm

I’ve been using a Ros this year, but will be using my predator next time out, The ros is hard to get real tight, might just be the tree I was in. Thinking of taking both and experimenting more.
fenderbender62

Unread postby fenderbender62 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:02 pm

Ive tried a ring of WE steps and also a ring of screw in steps. I recently bought the WE perch and its quite a bit more comfortable especially on stand for more than 4 hours. I cant really explain it other than you can get into positions to really take the weight of your feet as well as taking weight off the saddle depending on whats causing your discomfort. It;s not a world of difference but it has definitely added some endurance to my longer sits.
what one man can do another can do
austin1990

Unread postby austin1990 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:09 pm

I used some DIY wild edge steps for a while and they worked good, justbhard to get even with each other. I had a buddy that had a ring of steps, I tried it and didnt like it much myself, but he loved it. He also had a platform and I really liked it, so I just want ahead and built myself one. I like it a lot, lightweight, packs up easy and can shoot all the way around the tree. I've already made a few designs changes for version number 2 I'll probably build this spring. I shot my buck this year off of it, as you can see, it cam locks and digs in so good now I can unhook the strap and itll sit there 8-) Version #2 will be much improved.
Screenshot_20191024-220843_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:52 pm

It’s certainly a preference thing. I prefer the platform to a ros because I can stand up on it, and I can set it up quieter.
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:21 am

Thanks for the comments! I might have to spring for one next year. I'm trying to keep my hunting purchases to 1 a year.
parkersdad

Unread postby parkersdad » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:39 am

I use a different type of saddle (JX3 Hybrid) so the platform doesn't matter as much, but I like a Stacked Outdoors stick because they have wide tops and no moving parts. If the tree is large I supplement with two strap on steps
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:13 am

parkersdad wrote:I use a different type of saddle (JX3 Hybrid) so the platform doesn't matter as much, but I like a Stacked Outdoors stick because they have wide tops and no moving parts. If the tree is large I supplement with two strap on steps

Do those stacked sticks have any give/bend to them at all?
“You have to pay your dues”
parkersdad

Unread postby parkersdad » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:28 am

peteherbst wrote:
parkersdad wrote:I use a different type of saddle (JX3 Hybrid) so the platform doesn't matter as much, but I like a Stacked Outdoors stick because they have wide tops and no moving parts. If the tree is large I supplement with two strap on steps

Do those stacked sticks have any give/bend to them at all?

No sir
MikeK

Unread postby MikeK » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:37 am

austin1990 wrote:I used some DIY wild edge steps for a while and they worked good, justbhard to get even with each other. I had a buddy that had a ring of steps, I tried it and didnt like it much myself, but he loved it. He also had a platform and I really liked it, so I just want ahead and built myself one. I like it a lot, lightweight, packs up easy and can shoot all the way around the tree. I've already made a few designs changes for version number 2 I'll probably build this spring. I shot my buck this year off of it, as you can see, it cam locks and digs in so good now I can unhook the strap and itll sit there 8-) Version #2 will be much improved. Screenshot_20191024-220843_Gallery.jpg

Austin1990, that is an awesome platform. Can you tell us more about it?
austin1990

Unread postby austin1990 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:07 am

MikeK wrote:
austin1990 wrote:I used some DIY wild edge steps for a while and they worked good, justbhard to get even with each other. I had a buddy that had a ring of steps, I tried it and didnt like it much myself, but he loved it. He also had a platform and I really liked it, so I just want ahead and built myself one. I like it a lot, lightweight, packs up easy and can shoot all the way around the tree. I've already made a few designs changes for version number 2 I'll probably build this spring. I shot my buck this year off of it, as you can see, it cam locks and digs in so good now I can unhook the strap and itll sit there 8-) Version #2 will be much improved. Screenshot_20191024-220843_Gallery.jpg

Austin1990, that is an awesome platform. Can you tell us more about it?

It's all 6061 aluminum, 3 lbs 10 ounces including strap. Main platform is waterjet cut, then I did some final touches on the milling machine, the post tabs are welded on and the post is a solid block of 1 1/4" 6061 aluminum, that I drilled on the mill. The versa button I made out of 1 inch round stock aluminum using a lathe. Its 12"x 12" hex shaped, it works great, just gotta make a few tweaks on my new one this spring.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”