New to mobile hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hawkeyebowhunter

New to mobile hunting

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:35 pm

I picked up a XOP Vanish Evo and Muddy Pro Sticks for my birthday, after having hunted out of a hang on a total of one time in my life-always hunted grandpas land with permanent and ladder stands.

Been watching a ton of videos on ways to get everything set on the tree and need some advice regarding getting my pack and bow without having to trek up and down.

I do have a Muddy harness and linemans rope to stay safe, going to practice all afternoon Friday.

I'm going to rig up a light strap so I can use the seat of my XOP as a frame to help carry stuff on the way.

Trying my hand at some public land this year, as well as new spots on grandpas farm that I've never hunted before!

live2hunt

Re: New to mobile hunting

Unread postby live2hunt » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:31 am

I tie a loop at the end of a bow rope and hook it to the carabiner for my lineman’s rope on my side. Once I’m tied in and standing on stand I pull it up. Little tip have your accessory hooks ready before pulling all this up so you can hang it and aren’t fumbling around with your bow and pack in a tree. So you might carry hooks in a cargo pocket not your pack. When pulling up both back and bow I would lean towards a stronger rope.
Dave.Bechtel

Unread postby Dave.Bechtel » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:45 am

It is tricky and I can honestly say I figured out what worked for me by setting up in the back yard. For me, I am starting with two sticks hooked around my shoulder while I am setting up the first stick. After the first stick is set, I climb up and set the next two. After that, I climb down and hook my bow up to my bow rope on my stand. I'll climb up and set the last stick and stand. I've already hooked my bow to the rope, so I just need to sit down and pull up my bow. Typically, I'll have my shoulder bag around my neck and off to the side. I don't use a backpack, it is just a shoulder bag that allows me to change the location easy whether it is in front of me or off to the side. If I wasn't filming, I wouldn't carry a bag. Everything I need would just get stuffed into pockets. I am not sure if that helped but it is what works for me. I would recommend if you can, go in the yard and just practice a couple different methods. A friend of mine uses a heavier rope with loops in it at the bottom. He just ties on his bow and caribeaners his pack onto the rope. The loops are about 2ft apart so his bow doesn't get banged up.
Chase Nation | Reality Hunting TV
JRM KY

Unread postby JRM KY » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:50 am

Biggest advice I can give is to not discouraged hunting mobile at first. All the videos that you have seen of people setting up I'm sure look effortless. just keep in mind that they have done that setup numerous times and make it look easy not to mention they are under no stress or pressure to get setup in timely fashion.(I'm sure most edit out all the frigups) It will seem hard at first but just give it time and it will become second nature. You will figure out your own system that suits your style in just a couple setups no worries. What you are wanting to do, in the long run, I assure you will make you a much more successful hunter.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:56 am

Iv'e been hunting mobile for 75% of my sits the last three years. I'm still figuring out little things to make it easier every time that I do it. Don't get discouraged, just keep learning.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
SaltRiver26

Unread postby SaltRiver26 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:40 am

Hawkeyebowhunter wrote:I picked up a XOP Vanish Evo and Muddy Pro Sticks for my birthday, after having hunted out of a hang on a total of one time in my life-always hunted grandpas land with permanent and ladder stands.

Been watching a ton of videos on ways to get everything set on the tree and need some advice regarding getting my pack and bow without having to trek up and down.

I do have a Muddy harness and linemans rope to stay safe, going to practice all afternoon Friday.

I'm going to rig up a light strap so I can use the seat of my XOP as a frame to help carry stuff on the way.

Trying my hand at some public land this year, as well as new spots on grandpas farm that I've never hunted before!

What harness and lineman rope did you end up going with?
Hawkeyebowhunter

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:12 am

SaltRiver26 wrote:
Hawkeyebowhunter wrote:I picked up a XOP Vanish Evo and Muddy Pro Sticks for my birthday, after having hunted out of a hang on a total of one time in my life-always hunted grandpas land with permanent and ladder stands.

What harness and lineman rope did you end up going with?

I've had the Muddy harness for a couple of years, never really used it.
Archivist13
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nathan.miller.5245

Unread postby Archivist13 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:15 am

I'm in the same boat as you. I have hunted my families woods for 30 years only using ladder stands and ground set ups. That worked fine during PA rifile season, but now that I am seriously starting to hunt Maryland, I want to be able to do more than ground hunt with a crossbow. I want to get into the trees on public and use my compound. Decided to try this mobile hunting out and bought a Alpha stand and some Beast Sticks. Haven't hunted with them yet, but have been practicing climbing and hanging in the back yard. Good luck!
Hawkeyebowhunter

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:18 pm

If I rig up the seat as a pack type deal, just lay my sticks across there and bungee them to the stand?

Having a heck of a time figuring out how I'm going to carry all this + a pack, cold weather clothing and horns
83mulligan

Unread postby 83mulligan » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:24 pm

Hawkeyebowhunter wrote:If I rig up the seat as a pack type deal, just lay my sticks across there and bungee them to the stand?

Having a heck of a time figuring out how I'm going to carry all this + a pack, cold weather clothing and horns

Compression straps and bungee cords start to become an art form!
83mulligan

Unread postby 83mulligan » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:33 pm

Hawkeyebowhunter wrote:If I rig up the seat as a pack type deal, just lay my sticks across there and bungee them to the stand?

you shouldn't have to rig the seat in any way. using straps or bungees (i use the solid rubber ones) you can strap everything to the platform and get it solid. I run my sticks up the middle of the stand and use the space on the sides for a small pack and heavy clothing. I don't use horns in michigan but those should be easy to strap on as well. You'll figure out a system that works for you.
Hawkeyebowhunter

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:23 am

Thanks for the responses all, I have some practicing to do.

Heading to the army surplus store this afternoon to get shoulder straps and a waist belt, hopefully some bungee cords and hopefully a small pack that weighs significantly less than the one I have now.
Jurist

Unread postby Jurist » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:19 am

Each time you will learn something. What would be NICE to have verses what you NEED to have.

Stick with the NEEDS.

After a climb practice or two you should be able to climb up and put on the stand, get in the stand and pull up your bow all in one climb.

As others have said.

Put on the bottom stick get it set.
Have the next stick in your hand.

Have bow, stand, and pack all on ropes, or the same rope... I have one for the stand, and another for the back pack and bow.
I have 3rd and 4th stick slung over my shoulder using the straps. And my safety strap over my shoulder, everything put on in reverse order that they will be needed.

Linemans belt on tree step up and then set second step. Step up and pull off 3rd step, set it, step up, set 4th step. Pull up stand, set stand in place. Keeping lineman belt on, set safety strap just above stand as high as I can reach. Connect to safety strap. Step on to stand. Then I usually have to adjust up safety strap. Put bow holder or accessory hooks in. Pull up bow and back pack.

Get everything were it needs to be.

Get some distance measurements to your nearby trees and shooting lanes.

Be quiet and be ready. Last hour alway be standing and have your bow in your hand...
"We know they are lying,
they know they are lying,
they know we know they are lying,
we know they know we know they are lying,
but they are still lying."
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Hawkeyebowhunter

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:16 am

It's pretty easy getting the stand and sticks on from what I've seen so far on my first 3 sits.

What is a b%tch is getting organized seems like.

Bought an HME stand clamp to hook my bow onto, course it came loose and I didnt bring a hook so that sucked.

Going to get a couple nuts, bolts and some loc-tite on the way home.

Ditched the bag for a fanny pack-much better!
Hawkeyebowhunter

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:01 pm

Dad and I did some redneck engineering on the bow clamp-works like a charm on the platform of my XOP.

What I'm really struggling with is getting my gear (except the bow) up into the tree.

I have been wearing my cold weather Sitka gear, if I pack it in it's an easier walk, but louder when I get to the stand. If I wear it, then I sweat like crazy.

I have a fanny pack, horns and cold weather gear that I need to more efficiently be able to get up the tree.

I can set all 4 sticks and stand in one go, and have my bow setup on a pull rope prior to leaving the ground

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”