Tips for beginner

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

gsquared23

Re: Tips for beginner

Unread postby gsquared23 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:42 am

Step 1: don’t ever, ever sit on a field edge on public land. BAM. You’re already better situated to kill a deer than 60% of the dudes on public land (around me).

Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
Jurist

Unread postby Jurist » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:05 pm

noob18426 wrote:What’s up all. I am a band spanking new hunter. No field experience at all. I’ve been interested in hunting for quite a few years. I’ve read some books, listened to probably hundreds of podcasts, caught YouTube videos on scouting, picking trees, tactics, etc. But I’ve never put the rubber on the road.

That said, after years of saying “next year” I decided I gotta get going sometime before I don’t at all. I’m trying to get going on a budget and make the most prudent choices and really just put myself out there. I realize chances of killing anything are minimal but like I’ve heard some guys says “can’t kill em from the couch”.

I have access to public land in NJ and PA for archery and firearms. So I ask all you experienced fellas and ladies, if you were going back to Day 1 as a clueless hunter walking into the field, what tactic(s) would you employee and what equipment would you call must-have?

Well you are a reader so that is good...

If I could do it again, I would wish I had the hunting beast DVDS and the deer hunters almanac by Ken Norberg. Ken taught me about the deer rut and all the sign and the phases of the rut... Dan shows where to find the buck in their bedding, at least where to look... I wasted hundreds of miles and hours just walking through the forest looking for that "buck bedding"... Because of Ken I knew what I was seeing as far as sign and why and when the deer moved and did what they did. But now I know how or where to look for likely bedding of that buck.

All the rest is just personal preference.

Get the bow you shoot well,
The clothes that will keep you warm and dry.
Boots to do the same.
Stand or saddle to give you the advantage of height.

And just get out there...
"We know they are lying,
they know they are lying,
they know we know they are lying,
we know they know we know they are lying,
but they are still lying."
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
noob18426

Unread postby noob18426 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:41 pm

gsquared23 wrote:Step 1: don’t ever, ever sit on a field edge on public land. BAM. You’re already better situated to kill a deer than 60% of the dudes on public land (around me).

Hahaha. Roger that. Not gonna say I haven’t double checked some of those areas on the maps so far.
noob18426

Unread postby noob18426 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:42 pm

Jurist wrote:
noob18426 wrote:What’s up all. I am a band spanking new hunter. No field experience at all. I’ve been interested in hunting for quite a few years. I’ve read some books, listened to probably hundreds of podcasts, caught YouTube videos on scouting, picking trees, tactics, etc. But I’ve never put the rubber on the road.

That said, after years of saying “next year” I decided I gotta get going sometime before I don’t at all. I’m trying to get going on a budget and make the most prudent choices and really just put myself out there. I realize chances of killing anything are minimal but like I’ve heard some guys says “can’t kill em from the couch”.

I have access to public land in NJ and PA for archery and firearms. So I ask all you experienced fellas and ladies, if you were going back to Day 1 as a clueless hunter walking into the field, what tactic(s) would you employee and what equipment would you call must-have?

Well you are a reader so that is good...

If I could do it again, I would wish I had the hunting beast DVDS and the deer hunters almanac by Ken Norberg. Ken taught me about the deer rut and all the sign and the phases of the rut... Dan shows where to find the buck in their bedding, at least where to look... I wasted hundreds of miles and hours just walking through the forest looking for that "buck bedding"... Because of Ken I knew what I was seeing as far as sign and why and when the deer moved and did what they did. But now I know how or where to look for likely bedding of that buck.

All the rest is just personal preference.

Get the bow you shoot well,
The clothes that will keep you warm and dry.
Boots to do the same.
Stand or saddle to give you the advantage of height.

And just get out there...

Thank you. I will check out Norbergs books.

I guess I’m obligated to get one of these dvds, everyone seems to feel they helped their game.

Thanks!
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:40 pm

Get away from dry land, you'll find more deer and less hunters in general.
802bowhunter

Unread postby 802bowhunter » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:16 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:Get away from dry land, you'll find more deer and less hunters in general.

I dont think all u guys read hes in new jersey.
6 bucks a year unlimited does. There like rats everywhere there.
I shot 7 deer in a week down there and passed up a ton.
Farmers told us to keep shootingandthey would dig a hole to getrid of them.
I drive down the road and thwre walking through hotel parking lots.

They can bait. And there season is almost 5 months
This guys gunna have more deer killed in 2 seasons then most people who hunt lifetime
He will be okay lol
"The hunting is great, the killing is terrible."
Northern new england.
802bowhunter

Unread postby 802bowhunter » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:19 pm

Throw out ur corn shoot does
Set up 60 yarfs from ur corn shoot buck.
Northern new england.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:56 am

802bowhunter wrote:Throw out ur corn shoot does

There is good hunting and hunting good. Sounds like he was interested in hunting good. I have had deer in my yard while out humping up and down on public going after beast kills. Get after em any legal way that floats your boat.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
802bowhunter

Unread postby 802bowhunter » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:06 am

justdirtyfun wrote:

There is good hunting and hunting good. Sounds like he was interested in hunting good. I have had deer in my yard while out humping up and down on public going after beast kills. Get after em any legal way that floats your boat.

Lol I dont hunt like that but in Jersey thats how u hunt there tiny wood lots next to houses u cant really hunt beast style unless ur in northern nj.
If he wants to hunt good beast style he will need to head to pa for sure
I meat hunt in Jersey every year I'm not just talking out of side of my mouth its not hunting down there its killing.
Northern new england.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:09 am

802bowhunter wrote:
justdirtyfun wrote:

Lol I dont hunt like that but in Jersey thats how u hunt there tiny wood lots next to houses u cant really hunt beast style unless ur in northern nj.
If he wants to hunt good beast style he will need to head to pa for sure
I meat hunt in Jersey every year I'm not just talking out of side of my mouth its not hunting down there its killing.

It's funny how the deer end up living in the middle of neighborhoods and strip malls etc. My first bow kill was in a backyard. Not everyone's cup of tea. But they are there.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
noob18426

Unread postby noob18426 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:23 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:Get away from dry land, you'll find more deer and less hunters in general.

Don’t have a problem being wet and miserable. Will do.
noob18426

Unread postby noob18426 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:27 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:

Absolutely interested in hunting good. I’m interested in learning about the sport and how to find the deer I want. Even in NJ. Baiting isn’t for me at the moment , but I’ll always be open for new tactics and may change my mind.

I get that my area is saturated with deer and I’m absolutely gonna take some meat when I can, but looking forward to finding my way of doing things and seeing where I ride this interest to.
Archivist13
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nathan.miller.5245

Unread postby Archivist13 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:04 pm

Very cool that you are entering this community on your own. I grew up in a family that was centered around hunting so it has just always been there for me. I honestly can't imagine deciding one day to decide to hunt if I hadn't ever done it before. It would be so intimidating I would think, so I applaud you. I've been hunting for 31 years and still learn something every time I enter the woods. Never think you have it all figured out, because as soon as you do, you will be humbled. Most importantly, have fun. My best hunts are usually not ones that I bring anything home. Good luck!
noob18426

Unread postby noob18426 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:44 pm

Archivist13 wrote:Very cool that you are entering this community on your own. I grew up in a family that was centered around hunting so it has just always been there for me. I honestly can't imagine deciding one day to decide to hunt if I hadn't ever done it before. It would be so intimidating I would think, so I applaud you. I've been hunting for 31 years and still learn something every time I enter the woods. Never think you have it all figured out, because as soon as you do, you will be humbled. Most importantly, have fun. My best hunts are usually not ones that I bring anything home. Good luck!

Thank you! I’ve always had an interest in the outdoors and specifically hunting. I’ve never had any family that hunted, but I decided at 35 it’s now or never and give it a shot. As I’ve looked deeper into I’ve seen the strategy, planning, and persistence it takes to become good. Seems like a great big puzzle in front of me and I’m looking forward to putting it together. Thanks for
The words of encouragement!
Archivist13
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nathan.miller.5245

Unread postby Archivist13 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:44 pm

noob18426 wrote:
Archivist13 wrote:Very cool that you are entering this community on your own. I grew up in a family that was centered around hunting so it has just always been there for me. I honestly can't imagine deciding one day to decide to hunt if I hadn't ever done it before. It would be so intimidating I would think, so I applaud you. I've been hunting for 31 years and still learn something every time I enter the woods. Never think you have it all figured out, because as soon as you do, you will be humbled. Most importantly, have fun. My best hunts are usually not ones that I bring anything home. Good luck!

Thank you! I’ve always had an interest in the outdoors and specifically hunting. I’ve never had any family that hunted, but I decided at 35 it’s now or never and give it a shot. As I’ve looked deeper into I’ve seen the strategy, planning, and persistence it takes to become good. Seems like a great big puzzle in front of me and I’m looking forward to putting it together. Thanks for
The words of encouragement!

One of the coolest puzzles you will ever get to put together too!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”