strategy for this weekend

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

riceg53

strategy for this weekend

Unread postby riceg53 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:35 pm

Hi guys, im having trouble deciding on my set up this saturday. Last week I found a fresh rub line (looked like it was made that morning) in a big oak flat. There is not many oak trees where I hunt, these are the first I have found and I know they are a good food source this time of year. I also found a very fresh scrape on the edge of the oak flat on where the top of the ridge meets the oaks. There is also another bedding area i have 2 nice bucks on camera but the problem is it is so thick and very hard to find a possible tree to set up on with enough cover/or to get high enough. Would you guys wait till rut to go in after these bucks in the known bedding area or go sit in the acorns and take your chances on a buck you have never seen before? any advice is much appreciated! Also forgot to mention i planned on sitting the afternoon but if you guys think a morning sit would be better im open to the idea, its supposed to drop to 39 degrees here saturday morning.

IndyDawg

Re: strategy for this weekend

Unread postby IndyDawg » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:43 am

I'd hunt the fresh buck sign and see what happens.
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:20 am

You say its hard to find trees to with enough cover or to get high enough in, are there any deadfalls, piles of brush, anything to set up on the ground? Sometimes you need a lot of cover so the deer don't see you otherwise they pick you off a mile away, other times you can be on a toothpick tree in the middle of nothing and they'll walk right on by. ADAPT to the situation at hand. Find the best possible way to set up in that spot that has a chance of working out, if you don't even try, how will you ever know? I'd go to where you know the bucks are and make the best effort you can.
riceg53

Unread postby riceg53 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:42 am

bcarey2 wrote:You say its hard to find trees to with enough cover or to get high enough in, are there any deadfalls, piles of brush, anything to set up on the ground? Sometimes you need a lot of cover so the deer don't see you otherwise they pick you off a mile away, other times you can be on a toothpick tree in the middle of nothing and they'll walk right on by. ADAPT to the situation at hand. Find the best possible way to set up in that spot that has a chance of working out, if you don't even try, how will you ever know? I'd go to where you know the bucks are and make the best effort you can.

I was thinking about possibly trying this as a last resort but its risky. Its a very very small opening, maybe 10 yards of space, the rest is just absolute thick nasty over looked stuff that nobody goes in. I tried to crawl through it one time and it is not easy by any means haha. Hunting from the ground just makes me nervous because I feel like they will be able to bust me easier as I draw my bow on them.
druski
Facebook: no on facbook

Unread postby druski » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:23 pm

Where are the rubs in proximity to the bedding?
If same property could your travel corridor be those oak flats to the bedding?
Ridge wise in afternoon sit with tree that is facing oak flat that correlates with sign or trail that supports direction of those deer traveling up ridge and onto flat in evening.....you'll need the ideal cross wind......but this will at least give you cover and if this isn't quite possible, take a more conservative approach and it would be a great observation sit and then your ready for next ideal front when you view those deers approach.
I've got a good oak in a swamp that I'd love to hunt in the morning, but I liken that to walking through field holding a solid food source in the morning.
riceg53

Unread postby riceg53 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:00 pm

druski wrote:Where are the rubs in proximity to the bedding?
If same property could your travel corridor be those oak flats to the bedding?
Ridge wise in afternoon sit with tree that is facing oak flat that correlates with sign or trail that supports direction of those deer traveling up ridge and onto flat in evening.....you'll need the ideal cross wind......but this will at least give you cover and if this isn't quite possible, take a more conservative approach and it would be a great observation sit and then your ready for next ideal front when you view those deers approach.
I've got a good oak in a swamp that I'd love to hunt in the morning, but I liken that to walking through field holding a solid food source in the morning.

The bedding is certainly on the property. Like i said there was some rubs and scrapes in there and on the other side of the oak flat, which would be behind me if I was facing the ridge, is houses and I’ve walked the edge of the boundary and seriously doubt they are bedded there, 0 sign, matted brush, etc. so I think they would have to be coming in from the ridge, but I could be wrong, that’s why I’m here! Lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”