Great hunt, bad shot

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Great hunt, bad shot

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:42 am

Bailed on work yesterday because I wanted to strike while the iron was hot. Got to my intended area 4 hrs before dark but found the trees to small to saddle up in so I crawled into a clump of Red pines and sat on the ground. Before I could get my lanes cleared does started pilfering out in front of me. Several bucks came around but no shooters.

By 7 I had one real nice shooting lane widdled in and a second that seemed ok but I couldn’t draw back my bow to test it because I had a doe that heard me snap a twig and she was constantly staring my way.

I couldn’t see a lot out of this cubby hole and when I heard heavy horns hitting I about crapped. I leaned over and learned out the one lane on an angle and there was a brute. The doe pinned me down and I was trying to range him, get my bow positioned etc. by the time the doe walked off putting all on edge I wasn’t sure what deer was what but I quickly put binocs on an 8. I drew back and had a slightly quartering to shot. I hugged the shoulder as I’ve done several times before. This time around I heard a crack like I’ve neber heard.

No arrow, no blood. I went to the house and tried to sleep. Got out this am and found arrow 120 yds away. Insert was pushed in about 1/4” , threaded section of broadhesd was snapped off down in there. Blood was up the arrow shank 3”. No blood in the area I could see but there was a lot of frost.

I feel like an idiot and would like some advice.
I want to go try and pickup the trail but is it worth pushing it? I mean I’m all for recovering an animal but is there any chance this was a mortal wound? I’m doubtful..

If not how should I approach getting after this deer again? Will he likely vacate the area completely?

don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
xpauliber
500 Club

Re: Great hunt, bad shot

Unread postby xpauliber » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:37 am

You have to give the recovery some effort. With a quartering to shot and the loud sound, it sounds like it could be a shoulder hit. But even if it's a shoulder hit, there should be blood to follow and you'll have to see what the trail looks like before just saying that it's non-lethal. Are tracking dogs legal where you are? Possibly try getting a dog to assist. Good luck.
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Re: Great hunt, bad shot

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:14 am

xpauliber wrote:You have to give the recovery some effort. With a quartering to shot and the loud sound, it sounds like it could be a shoulder hit. But even if it's a shoulder hit, there should be blood to follow and you'll have to see what the trail looks like before just saying that it's non-lethal. Are tracking dogs legal where you are? Possibly try getting a dog to assist. Good luck.

Xpaul you are right. I went back out. I couldn’t find blood due to all the frost and boy it wasn’t any better after the sun got up. All begitstion soooing wet and the ground is basically holding water from all the rains at this point. I never found a spec anywhere. I did several perimeter laps out to 150 yds from arrow. Followed any possible run he may have too and nothing. I did check a trail cam back the opposite direction he ran after I shot and I believe I have a pic of him at midnight. It was from the opposite side that the occurred though.. sure looked like him
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”