Unconventional big buck bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hatchetman

Unconventional big buck bedding

Unread postby Hatchetman » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:39 am

Not that we don't have it tough enough to stay on a big bucks prefered bedding.
Now the farmers aint helping...

Couple years back I was after a big one in my area. Saw him 2 times one year (He was around 150) and only once the following year. looked about the same frame size just considerably thicker.

That last account was me sitting on a fence line around the 10 of nov. grown over cow pasture behind me cut corn field with a four row crop insurance claim strip starting 44 rows from the field edge.
Early morning through the fog this buck and a doe are heading my way across this large corn field presummably to jump the fence 20 yds from me and head into bedding.

Of course it didn't work that way..
They got to that 4 row strip and the buck decided this is where we are going to spend the day.
So I watched this buck serenade this doe from about 7 in the morning till 4 oclock that afternoon. Breeding her twice though out the day as they would lay for an hour or so and get up and move off 50 yds or so each time down the strip.
I had a birds eye view of the whole ordeal and it was really something how those 2 deer would disappear in those 4 measly rows of corn when they would bed even though the corn was really short and thin.

When I really started thinking about this it was quite the eye opener.
What better spot for an old smart one to bed...
Just enough cover to conceal himself with awesome vision all around!
Virtually impossible to sneak up on.

With the horrible growing season here in Wi im seeing those 4 row strips showing up all over as corn is coming down.
Honestly I have no ideas on how to take advantage of this situation, just throwing this out there for you to think about maybe in your own situation.

Like i said ,I only saw this buck do this once, maybe it was just a coincedence or maybe he laid in that strip a lot, i don't know.

As far as my stories ending...

About mid afternoon they both moved far enough down the strip. I felt i could ever so slowly, climb down from my stand, circle around about 300 yds.
Took me a good hr as i made the swing and crept back up to the fence line again in my socks.
As i sat and waited to see if they would show on my side of the strip.

Well it certainly wasn't my day, as the neighbor just over the hill from the strip of corn decided he was going to fire up the chain saw and cut some wood. ( was only 100yds or so away from where the deer were)
This jarred both of they loose and pushed them right by me on a dead run, as I seen them coming I got drawn and tried to stop them once the where in range like only 20 yds. but they were having none of it.
After that was all over in about 10 seconds i just stood there with my jaw dropped.. :shock:
Oh well, that's the way she goes...

SamPotter
500 Club

Re: Unconventional big buck bedding

Unread postby SamPotter » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:38 am

I think your particular scenario is an example of the unconventional places bucks bring hot does to keep them away from other bucks. I’ve seen them right out in the middle of an open field and in a road ditch other times.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:28 am

This reminds me of the time I jumped a buck bedded in or on the edge of a large sinkhole surrounded by an empty crop field...basically bare dirt not 25 yards from a road. We were rabbit hunting the day after deer season had ended and I jumped him as I approached the sink hole. Never had a clue a large buck would bed like that but it has made me think about never saying a buck couldn’t be somewhere and I always make sure to check places like that, small islands, skinny ditches, etc. for bedding.

It happens more than you think. Particularly skinny fence and brush rows.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Oceana

Unread postby Oceana » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:09 pm

Two of the biggest bucks taken on our private 160 acres have been near the road where our entry two track is and adjacent to a neighboring farm house with dogs. Partially I believed this was the case as it’s a classic big buck hiding hole and partially because the wind would often push across the road into a farm field to isolate a doe if its in heat.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”