What shots *won't* you take?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

What shots *won't* you take?

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:17 pm

Seeing Mario and PredatorTC's great bucks had me thinking about shots and which ones people wouldn't take.

They have outstanding deer to add to their walls, freezer and resumes. Neither of their shots would be what many would consider textbook, but they seized the moment in the time of truth and succeeded.

What shots would you not take? Would you have let those animals walk if no better shots presented themselves?

Those questions have been on my mind after seeing their kills.

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Re: What shots *won't* you take?

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:41 pm

I won't shoot over 30 yards.
I won't shoot at a deer walking directly away, but will frontal one if it is inside of 20.
I probably would not have taken the shot that Joe did, but hey, It worked out for him so more power to him.
I'm not against shooting one in it's bed, but I would need to have a great angle. It's easy to sit here and talk about this now, though. In the moment of truth, things change.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:09 am

Had to let down on a nice ten one time because of low light and distance, just couldn't see the deer enough to make an ethical shot, he was blending into the brush behind him and I couldn't even make out his shape through the peep. Had he been 10 or 15 yards closer in some grass I think I would have had enough light to shoot, would have been my biggest at the time.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:26 am

I'm shooting a low poundage, short draw. I'm shooting a heavy arrow, so it's sort of slow by today's modern gear standards, but better than trad gear, about 200 fps. So, I want a perfect broadside or quartering away shot. 30 would be max yardage, but preferable 25 or less.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:46 am

If it’s not a high percentage shot I won’t take it. I prefer broadside or slightly quartering away but have taken a very slight quartering towards but try to avoid this as much as possible. Anything over 30 yards is a pass for me. As far as steady walking I have done very well on that and thinking back every deer I ever killed was walking steadily. Don’t get many opportunities at stationary deer for whatever reason. They always seem to be on a mission to get somewhere.

Over the years I have passed on so many big bucks because I didn’t like the shot. If I was more aggressive that way my walls would likely be much fuller but I sleep better knowing I didn’t force a bad shot. Being able to have enough restraint to watch a big buck walk away is just too much to handle for many and they have to take a shot no matter what. In most cases they have a long list of wounding losses.

I don’t judge those who take risky shots and are successful. Everybody has different skill levels and certain shots aren’t for everybody. If your wounding way more deer than your killing that’s a problem and you need to step back and take a look at your shot decisions.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:52 am

I typically wont shoot at anything over 20 (trad bow) and from a height of 15-18 foot. Angles matter. I prefer a slightly quartering away or broadside.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:02 am

I'm not a you won't ever kill nothing if your not launching arrows type of guy. Though I have made my share of poor choices. I like to think I've grown better and now know what a good shot looks like. I have no desire to throw Hail Marys in desperation. 20ish yards an in broadside most preferred but will take a slight quartering away as well. Other than that I'm thankful for the show and live to fight another day.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:11 am

Passed on 2 wall hangers last year. One was 5-7 yards and looking straight up at me. Probably could have drove one down into him, but didn’t want to miss the heart. The 2nd one was quartering away while I was on the ground and a tree was blocking some of my view and I wasn’t sure if the angle was steep enough to hit both lungs if I tucked it in to the last rib or two.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:26 am

I had a 45 yard shot quartering away through brush on a decent 140ish 9 or 10 last friday night.

I didn't feel it was a good shot to take.
I don't like quartering in, facing to or away shots.

It seems most shots are quartering to me.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:30 am

WON’T Is such a definite word. So many times it’s situational. Walking directly away is a no go. Frontal is sketchy, but highly effective is certain circumstances. Weapon definitely matters. Weather conditions play a huge roll for me as well. Quartering too with a rifle is my favorite shot. I’ve never had one take a step. But with a bow it’s a lot different and in a decent crosswind and I’m not taking that shot. Without wind I’m still looking for a better shot then quartering too. Terrain plays a ton in it also. I’m much more picky in a swamp here in FL then I am out at the farm where I can see for a long ways. Especially when a lot of water is involved blood trailing SUCKS in wet swamps.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:56 am

I've definitely made some mistakes over the years. I wont shoot down on a deer if its too close to my stand (hard lesson learned). as others have stated its all very situational. I cant see myself ever taking a head on shot but slightly quartering to might be okay if the deer is calm. If the deer is on edge at all it needs to be picture perfect. Longest shot ive ever taken is 32yds. I like them to be 15-18yds any closer the angle starts to become too steep though it dosent really become a problem until they are under 10yds in my opinion.
Razorhead

Unread postby Razorhead » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:23 am

Straight down. Learned this one the hard way. Very risky shot to take particularly since you have a real decent chance at a quartering away peep shot in a few seconds. If I never get that quartering away shot passing on the straight down shot was still the most ethical decision and I feel good about using past poor choices to make that decision.
He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my sole.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:28 am

Walking shots don't go well for me. I don't like hard quartering away shots either. So those two.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:02 am

A brain shot with a bow. Everything else I can get in the vitals. I killed two with frontal shots last year. Killed before on the opposite end with a Texas heart shot or the femoral artery
Boarhawg52

Unread postby Boarhawg52 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:14 am

It all comes down to the moment for me. I have killed deer from 6 yards to 94 yards with my bow. But I have passed up a lot because things just were not right. I believe in myself and my equipment. I know that arrow is gonna hit exactly where I want it too. It is all about confidence. If you aren't confident in the shot don't take it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”