No time to hunt or scout

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wlog
500 Club

No time to hunt or scout

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:52 am

Between my wife’s work schedule, my kids sports and activities and some other obligations, I’ve had no time to be out scouting and hunting. It is what it is, I’m not going to cry too much but man... I’m itching to be out there right now. I went out twice the first week of September but haven’t had any other opportunities. Might be able to get away Wednesday evening, still up in the air.

I know there are people that don’t start until October and I really feel for you all. I have that same feeling when I read some of these posts about other people’s hunts as when I would be grounded as a kid and watching other kids play outside through the window lol!

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
d_rek

Re: No time to hunt or scout

Unread postby d_rek » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:02 am

I'm in the same boat. I got in exactly one day of scouting this year. I figure this year i'm going to rely on experience with previous spots and also scouting while walking in to put me on some hot sign.
"I don't know what the f*** this is but it's weird as f*** so i'm leaving."
-The Deep
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:04 am

X2...travel soccer & cross country races every weekend until the end of November. :violin:

It’s great to have this group and the info available to offset the lack of time scouting & hunting. Good luck and hope ya make it count Wlog & everyone else in this situation!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:19 am

Hear ya loud and clear. I did get three days last week, so I can't complain too much, but I was supposed to have the whole week + weekend. Probably won't get out this week... Maybe Sunday. Then I will probably have some time the next week, but any patterns or sign I saw last week may or may not be any good.

So it's better than zero, but I wanted to get out a lot when it was hot, humid and bug-infested when most fair-weather hunters stay home. It might cool off enough to end that... Unfortunately.

But enough whining... Gotta just make the most of what we got. I already identified that I should be doing more observation sits than diving in, at least on one property. Going slow to go fast, so to speak.

Anyway, I hope y'all get some time in regardless of the circumstances. And good luck to ya in the field when you do!
Last edited by greenhorndave on Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:25 am

tmarbut wrote:X2...travel soccer & cross country races every weekend until the end of November. :violin:

It’s great to have this group and the info available to offset the lack of time scouting & hunting. Good luck and hope ya make it count Wlog & everyone else in this situation!

Yep. Coaching fall baseball right now for my sons team, selling cub scout popcorn, daughter in softball and to top it all off winter swim team practice is starting. Dad duty is the best but it sure does take a toll on hunting time.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:32 am

Blew out disc in back and neck... will be watching from the sidelines this year.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:32 am

I’ve been in this same boat for the past couple years. The wife and I have had a kid the past two years and we’ve got a third coming early next year. So I only get a day at a time if I get to go out. Doesn’t make things easier, that’s for sure. Especially since I found the beast about the same time we had our first kid.

It’s a slow learning process since learning from experience is the best teacher, but being blessed with loving wife and growing family isn’t something to complain about!
“You have to pay your dues”
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:00 am

I can relate. I made it out scouting once this spring. I’m so glad I made it out a few times to observe this summer, as it lead to an early kill. Got lucky!!

No spring scouting means no sets prepped which means my discrete shooting lanes might not be lanes at all. So there was a big weight lifted off my shoulders there.

Mon-Thurs is out for me due to work. I’m hoping I can sneak out real quick to a doe spot this week, as there’s no time for anything else. Now the wife just went home sick, plus she’s on call fairly often, we’re always remodeling etc I ALWAYS have stuff to do :lol:

I get jealous of the guys who get to scout and hunt like I used to. That’s just not where I am in life anymore and probably never will be till the kids are off to college. It’s all good though, as it could be worse! I’m blessed in life. Big time.

Sometimes I need to remind myself that it’s just a deer.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:04 am

Too hot anyways...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:09 am

I would love to hunt every single day but working second shift thats impossible unless I hunt mornings which I don’t really care for outside the rut. I’m a weekend warrior the next five weeks till my rut vacation starts. Just gotta make the most of the available time you have. Hunt smarter not harder. Plenty of guys can still get it done on very limited time.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:24 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Too hot anyways...

Keeps the riff-raff out of the woods. I love it when it's hot.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:28 am

Brokenarrow1980 wrote:Blew out disc in back and neck... will be watching from the sidelines this year.

Man that stinks! Hope you’re healed up for next year.
BorealBushMN

Unread postby BorealBushMN » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:59 am

I'm in the same boat as well.... I have 3 girls; almost 5 yr old, a 2 1/4 yr old, and an almost 5 month old. On top of that I have a job that requires me to travel and be out of town a few times a month. It's tough telling the wife I"m going to stick you alone with the kids again tonight.... I have some scheduled time set aside to hunt this fall, but man, do I wish I could just get out a time or 2 a week right now. It's tough watching from the sidelines, but my time will come and I know I will get more time (or be able to make more time easier) as the years go on. With the new baby this spring, I knew this year was going to be a tough one. But even mentally prepping myself, I'm still bouncing off the walls wanting to get out there.

I'm really hoping to get out for the first time this Friday. It appears the stars are aligning for that to happen. Fingers crossed!

My sympathy for Broken Arrow.... Man, that's tough. Hope you heal up well and can come back strong next year. Good luck!
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:08 am

Same here. I’ve hunted once so far. Coaching football till the end of October, wife working long hours and running the daughter to dance. Then homework, making dinner and go to work third shift at 930. Not a lot of time for me
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:52 am

Work's insane, wife is back in grad school as of last week, and kids schedules are getting busier as they get old. Was lucky to get out both days opening weekend in WI, but everything flooded the Thursday before season so was more of a scout than a hunt, and the intel won't likely be much use when I can get out next. Oh well...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”