1st week of hunting. Acorns, public land, and stacking....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

First Sit

Re: 1st week of hunting. Acorns, public land, and stacking....

Unread postby First Sit » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:37 am

dan wrote:
First Sit wrote:When did you hang the sat cam on the island and how long of battery life do you get with them? I've got a few spots I've been thinking of getting a sat cam for.

1 month before season. Battery life should be good if not over bait and only shooting a few pic's a day.

That's interesting I was thinking of hanging mine late spring thinking a month prior was too close to season for mature bucks. Obviously by your pics it wasnt. :think: Were the bucks in that spot a month ago or did you see any bucks avoid that spot after you placed the cam for a few weeks? What sat cam are you running and how do you like it? I was looking at the exodus seems like a good company with the warranty.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:51 am

Sparten... but I would really like to use the exodus. They have been good to me. In my opinion I was real late in getting that cam out there but it still needed to be done. Deer are just now starting to come in natural again. Yesterday morning a big 8 went into bedding and I was sure I could kill it. But it was the minimum of what I want to shoot and it was raining so I did not sit and was watching the cam for him to come back. And guess who showed? The big 12 point I have been after. Lol
BackCoverBowHunter

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:31 am

Great Video! Thanks!! :clap:
Extreme Effort Only
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:57 am

Thanx for the update and all of the tips!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:55 am

8-)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
BigAir

Unread postby BigAir » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:30 am

Enjoyed the update, thanks!
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:16 am

dan wrote:Sparten... but I would really like to use the exodus. They have been good to me. In my opinion I was real late in getting that cam out there but it still needed to be done. Deer are just now starting to come in natural again. Yesterday morning a big 8 went into bedding and I was sure I could kill it. But it was the minimum of what I want to shoot and it was raining so I did not sit and was watching the cam for him to come back. And guess who showed? The big 12 point I have been after. Lol

What do you chalk this up to Dan? Both big bucks using the bedding area and the 12 took a different route to bed in the am that missed your camera? Just curious. I could see that being one of the dangers of cell cams. Almost getting too confident in the intel and missing out on opportunities, especially where you're hunting a larger bedding area as opposed to a specific bed.
Quest1001

Unread postby Quest1001 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:22 am

In farm land, once the acorns are done dropping and the surrounding bean have turned what’s the next food source? Alfalfa?
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:41 am

My guess is corn if you have that available, I did notice them hammering the sugar beet fields around here last year after the beans were yellowing up.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:48 am

Kraftd wrote:
dan wrote:Sparten... but I would really like to use the exodus. They have been good to me. In my opinion I was real late in getting that cam out there but it still needed to be done. Deer are just now starting to come in natural again. Yesterday morning a big 8 went into bedding and I was sure I could kill it. But it was the minimum of what I want to shoot and it was raining so I did not sit and was watching the cam for him to come back. And guess who showed? The big 12 point I have been after. Lol

What do you chalk this up to Dan? Both big bucks using the bedding area and the 12 took a different route to bed in the am that missed your camera? Just curious. I could see that being one of the dangers of cell cams. Almost getting too confident in the intel and missing out on opportunities, especially where you're hunting a larger bedding area as opposed to a specific bed.

The best bedding areas are holding multiple bucks right now. Cameras only catch a little window.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:50 am

Quest1001 wrote:In farm land, once the acorns are done dropping and the surrounding bean have turned what’s the next food source? Alfalfa?

A lot of things. corn would be one.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:10 am

Man, you've got a few giants on that camera. It'd be awesome if you could get an arrow in one of those.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
perchsoup

Unread postby perchsoup » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:25 am

No disrespect meant by this. I would certainly be hunting the same old trees and seeing the same dumb does and fawns without Dan's selflessness to share and this website.

But, aren't cell cams taking some of the sport and ethic out of it? Reading maps, scouting on foot and even regular trail cameras have us behind the deer so to speak. We have to physically be out there and in the game to have a chance at the animal. I worry cell cams take that away. Now, you can already know if the bed is loaded, maybe the camera is in the wrong spot you might say. Well, get more cameras then. And if that can't solve the problem, cell cams open the door for an easier argument made to use drones and thermal imagery to locate.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:12 am

Your wardrobe manager needs a raise. Best in the industry.

Great vid as usual.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:44 am

Very cool. I think that guy should get a shirt that says, “I saw Dan Infalt in the middle of a swamp, but nobody believes me.

I 2nd this - that would be a great shirt. Thanks for sharing Dan great video.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”