Variable Wind and Frustration

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

Re: Variable Wind and Frustration

Unread postby funderburk » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:02 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:You can have variable winds that have nothing to do with terrain, and I think that is what the OP is referencing. Last Sunday (in my area) was one of those instances where all afternoon the wind was from the South, SW, North and West with some Easterly swirls all within a a few hours, constantly changing. The last hour or so the wind did get consistent and I was able to sneak in and hunt.

That’s right. Very minimal change in this terrain. I went ahead and asked about hill country since I hunt that often, as well.

So what I’m hearing is when it’s low and variable, I should lean heavily on what the thermals will be doing and utilize those after the shade sets in. Correct?

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:05 am

dan wrote:You need to be able to read terrain and predict wind and thermal issues. Set up in consistent areas leading to areas like the one you mentioned

I wonder if I should’ve just set up with the hope of my thermals sucking everything down and away from where they’d be coming from right before dark, even if there were instances where my scent blew wrong every now and then earlier in the evening..? Am I thinking about that correctly?
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:16 am

funderburk wrote:
dan wrote:You need to be able to read terrain and predict wind and thermal issues. Set up in consistent areas leading to areas like the one you mentioned

I wonder if I should’ve just set up with the hope of my thermals sucking everything down and away from where they’d be coming from right before dark, even if there were instances where my scent blew wrong every now and then earlier in the evening..? Am I thinking about that correctly?

Sometimes you have to roll the dice, and give it a shot, but it's a tough call if it's a GREAT area, especially if you will have a better wind in a day or so.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:29 am

funderburk wrote:

In most cases you get that calm before dark. Thermals will rule at that timeframe. so i set up more for thermals than wind in hilley terrain.
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:03 am

All of this was extremely helpful. Another reason to love the beast. Good dudes willing to help.
Liberty-Hunt
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/liberty.hunt.188

Unread postby Liberty-Hunt » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:50 am

I remember some years ago, I was in a tree stand looking for some deer (hot spot). And after something like 2h. The wind start to be stronger and turning like crazy.
So I decided to go back and came a other day, like most of us would do.
And on my way back I just cross a old deer and shoot him...
He didn't hear me because of the wind noise, in was in a deep Christmas tree forest.

Just a lot of chance I guess.
"Huntingly",
L-H

GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:55 pm

Still trying to get my head around thermals in flatter terrain because I don’t want to mess that up again. If I understand this correctly, evening thermals will always follow the topography regardless of how subtle...right? When you say “read terrain” are you saying that I should be aware of even the slightest amount of topographical decline that would cause the thermals to pull my scent down just like water would flow through the terrain? Is that a good way of looking at terrain when I’m boots on the ground?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:40 am

funderburk wrote:

Still trying to get my head around thermals in flatter terrain because I don’t want to mess that up again. If I understand this correctly, evening thermals will always follow the topography regardless of how subtle...right? When you say “read terrain” are you saying that I should be aware of even the slightest amount of topographical decline that would cause the thermals to pull my scent down just like water would flow through the terrain? Is that a good way of looking at terrain when I’m boots on the ground?

You start to gain an understAnding after a while of what openings, edges. And elevation heights do to you during hunts.
Djp32

Unread postby Djp32 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:30 pm

So say winds are light and variable in hill country but the weather channel still gives a predominant direction, how much wind does it take for bucks to use wind based leeward bedding? I understand setting up for thermals in the evenings but I never know if the deer are using the bedding that I’m set up on because of the wind. In the same area of woods I literally have points and bench’s that can be used for all winds that deer switch to and use periodically but if the wind isn’t strong enough to create an advantage than I don’t know where there bedding at. So far this season I’ve just been going off of the weather station winds regardless of speed and setting up accordingly but I duno if it’s worth it until there’s a significant wind??
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:12 am

Thank you for the thread, I was about to post something like this myself. This morning the wind was supposed to be straight north west, and my scent ended up getting pulled straight to the river to the NNE. It still worked for the spot that I was in today, but overall thermals have been kicking my but this week.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”