Struggling with Beast style hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Elite
500 Club

Struggling with Beast style hunting

Unread postby Elite » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:10 pm

I did a lot of thinking this past offseason regarding my hunting strategies for this year. I scouted several properties and located great buck sign. After listening to Beast podcasts, watching tons of thp, and being part of this forum I felt confident and enthusiastic about going in Beast style.
Opening night was somewhat productive. I was able to sneak close to a clear cut where I believe my target buck is living. With the south wind, I was between 45 and 75 yards from the general area he beds. I wasn't able to hunt the spot that was most promising because of the wind. I had a hunch that he would make his way where I sat that evening because of the acorns. I had a 6 point come parallel to the transition line at 530 PM but nothing else. Rain was a factor for the last two hours, though.

Sunday night, I decided to try a finger that's surrounded by a swamp and not far from where my target buck was last year. A great spot for a buck to bed. I wasn't very stealthy going in as there was no wind and it was thick. However, I didn't hear a deer bust out. I was within 50 to 80 yards of presumed bedding based off the wind direction. I didn't see anything that night.
I don't think I busted one deer hunting close to bedding over the weekend, and I don't think I busted anything leaving. With being that aggressive opening weekend, I've been discouraged and apprehensive about continuing with Beast style hunting. I feel like I ruined one of my best areas on opening night, but again, I didn't hear or see anything bust out of there. I did leave ground scent that evening and that worries me. Interestingly, I found a big bed for a north wind on my way in Saturday night.

I need some validation that these tactics are effective. Maybe my feelings as a novice with Beast style hunting is normal?

Jackson Marsh

Re: Struggling with Beast style hunting

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:21 pm

viewtopic.php?f=287&t=51584

Best buck ever for the above hunter....he’s been at it for awhile. It's definitely not easy and your buck might still be around. Bump around his bedding areas and keep at it.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:21 pm

Patience grasshopper. 2 hunts don't make a season. How many more spots do you have? Let the spots you hunted cool down and hunt them again when the sign is there!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:31 pm

You're 2 hunts into a process. It doesn't happen over night. Usually it take 3-4 years before you finally "get it". I've hunted 30-40 hunts the last 4 year, and am still learning the process.

If it was easy, everyone would do it 8-)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:33 pm

It sounds like you are doing pretty well. I don't want to share the number of deerless sits/botched approaches/metal clanking setups, but it is a lot. And then one sit it all works and it's rewarding.

There are some who are insanely efficient on this site, and that can make you feel like you are behind the curve. Just gotta keep getting after it and make sure you have fun with it.

This type of hunting is not easy, but long run(long being more than a few seasons in this context) I know I am a better hunter than I was.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:40 pm

stash59 wrote:Patience grasshopper. 2 hunts don't make a season. How many more spots do you have? Let the spots you hunted cool down and hunt them again when the sign is there!

I have 6 properties, including one private, so plenty of options.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:54 pm

fishlips wrote:It sounds like you are doing pretty well. I don't want to share the number of deerless sits/botched approaches/metal clanking setups, but it is a lot. And then one sit it all works and it's rewarding.

There are some who are insanely efficient on this site, and that can make you feel like you are behind the curve. Just gotta keep getting after it and make sure you have fun with it.

This type of hunting is not easy, but long run(long being more than a few seasons in this context) I know I am a better hunter than I was.

I agree.

There are lots of guys on this forum that make it look so easy. They’ve been at it for years and years. Dans knowledge was accumulated over DECADES.

This is year #5 for me and I still make lots of mistakes. I thought the bedding my buck came out of was doe bedding with rut sign. Then look what happened last weekend. It takes those types of experiences in order to REALLY know what you’re doing.

I set up on multiple doe bedding areas with rut sign for a couple years, and after seeing nothing but does and little bucks come out of them, it dawned on me. I need to hunt those spots during rut! Last year I got the chance to hunt one and I passed two small bucks in one hunt. They came cruising in for does. All I’d seen in that bedding from previous early season hunts was does :think:

Things like that can be really hard to pick apart. Even Dan has said doe bedding with rut sign can be tricky.

Just trying to give you an example of the intricacies of it.

It takes in the field EXPERIENCE to make these tactics click. You’re on the right track! Keep a positive attitude and an open mind.

You only have to play your cards right ONCE, and you could have the biggest buck of your life.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:56 pm

You also have to ask yourself how you were doing prior to Beast tactics. If you were on big bucks all year, then do what you were doing before.

If you were struggling, then you’ve got nothing to lose by trying something different.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:58 pm

I wouldn’t say you’re struggling. You’re just experiencing beast style. That stuff happens to everyone. The more you do it the less The frustrating stuff will happen. But it’ll still happen.
backstrap19

Unread postby backstrap19 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:59 pm

i'll echo what others are saying. patience. this style doesn't show immediate results all of the time. i'd say somewhere between year 2 and 3 if you stay the course, the switch will filp. there is more than enough content out there to consume that explains the methods and the lingo, however, putting it into practice is a totally different thing. if you stick it out, it WILL be worth it. it isn't as black and white as it first appears when you begin learning the tactics. stick with it!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:04 pm

To me it sounds like you are getting a bit burnt out. I've been there. And having been a part of this forum for a while I've seen this exact type of post come up a lot more than once before.

What helped me was just reflecting back and identifying what parts of hunting bring a lot of enjoyment to me and focusing on that. Not sure if that will help you shoot a big buck but I figured I would write it out because I think it's a bummer seeing people not enjoying the hunt.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:06 pm

I just sat lastnight and didnt see anything. Night before i was all over deer. This will be my third year beast style and i learn every hunt weather i blow the hunt or not. I can honestly say i have seen more bucks and quality bucks in the last 2 plus years of beast hunting then i saw in at least 5 years before beast.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:41 pm

Don’t give up!!!! I am yet to kill a buck hunting beast style. Passed up several 1.5 year olds and have blown it on at least 3 mature bucks.

2015 first hunt beast style after listening to a podcast with Dan. Trudged half a mile through a swamp, took 2 hours got half way up a tree, broke a pretty big branch off and up pops a buck probably 135 inch 10 point and runs right past me, he was beaded 35 yards away I would have had a chip shot had I been quit.

2017 had a 2.5 year old 8 come in behind me and wind me, same hunt I pass a smaller 8, right at last light a 130 inch or so 10 hangs out at about 55 yards. Once dark he walks directly under my tree and snort wheezes. Awesome hunt but probably blew it on 2 deer.

2018 had a nice 140 plus inch buck come right in to about 5 yards. I had switched to a cross bow because of nagging shoulder problems. He stood there for what seemed like a half hour. My cross bow would not fire as the bolt was not totally in. Then he spooked and came back around to about 30 I tried to shoot through a hole, bolt deflected ended up hitting him in the neck, never recovered him.

Here is the thing about beast hunting, I was in the game and I have been learning from every mistake. Before the beast I was not even in the stadium. Keep at it, hunt more public to keep your private properties fresh, don’t measure yourself to the killers on this site. They are some of the best hunters anywhere, and the best thing is they will help you and encourage you all along the way!
perchsoup

Unread postby perchsoup » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:46 pm

I planned to hunt the last two nights but didn’t. Yes, it is too warm for me and that’s okay. I shot a deer last year in the heat and spent a long night taking care of it so it wouldn’t spoil. And, I have other priorities right now.

If you’re frustrated take a break. Do something else fun. Ask yourself do you want to hunt or do you feel like you need too. Season is plenty long, pace yourself, have fun.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:54 pm

Don’t worry man, most the time I don’t see jack squat either, but all it takes is one sit to change everything for you. You have to stay mentally tough and embrace the suck. If you need more confirmation that these tactics work just go check out the beast kill tribute threads from years past.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”