Private farm tips?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

amarty734

Private farm tips?

Unread postby amarty734 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:57 am

This is my grandparents private farm that I can hunt. I share it with my uncle who hunts the one spot marked in pink. His blind is in a great spot where bucks feed in the beans, unfortunately it’s off limits for me. He doesn’t move spots and doesn’t pay attention to wind. Typical wind is from the west. This year the farmer to the north didn’t plant and the field is currently 3-7 ft tall weeds. This may change the way the deer bed this year. The area I can hunt is outlined in brown. I know the farm extremely well, but haven’t been successful yet. From a strangers perspective, how would you hunt this piece? All the crops are beans except the two hay fields to the south. There is a large creek that flows through the middle of the piece as well as a smaller ditch that runs N-S along the field edge
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Re: Private farm tips?

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:04 am

One thing I would look at is playing off your uncle. How does he access his spot? Hunt where you think the deer would go that he spoils on entry or exit. Especially exit after a morning hunt...although bucks may already be taking that into account but you never know.

I would also look st spots where bucks can observe farm activity easily.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
KPnorthdakota

Unread postby KPnorthdakota » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:13 am

1. Hunt as close to buck bedding as possible without being spotted or heard.

2. Use the wind direction in your favor when approaching and with stand placement.

3. Use some sits to observe where the bucks are going when they do get up.

4. #3 is critical as it will help you with #1 & #2

5. Always refer back to #1
botemple

Unread postby botemple » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:50 am

Have you checked the transition lines of the tall weeds for buck beds? I would guess you might find some beds between the tall weeds and the trees on the east side of the property. Also, not sure how close your uncle would let you get to his spot but during the rut I could see a good spot being where the trees make a Y along the drainage ditch. I'm betting bucks run that drainage ditch wind checking the doe bedding. Plus with a NW wind your scent would spoil your uncle's hunt. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”