Dogs bedding wind to back.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Dogs bedding wind to back.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:51 am

I just let my 2 dogs out and after about 20 minutes of walking around and sniffing they laid down wind to back looking downwind.

Checked with wind radar and milkweed.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Primetime

Re: Dogs bedding wind to back.

Unread postby Primetime » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:09 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:I just let my 2 dogs out and after about 20 minutes of walking around and sniffing they laid down wind to back looking downwind.

Checked with wind radar and milkweed.

After about 20 mins outside my dogs are laying by the back door waiting to get back inside to lay on the couch :lol:. I've always thought about it tho and I'm not so sure domesticated animals would behave the same way. They don't have the same fear for survival that wild animals do. I remember reading a oldddd post about dan driving by a deer farm and seeing the deer bedding wind at their back facing downwind so maybe it is true. But with dogs I feel like they are more predator than prey. Coyotes for example I would think they are more concerned about next meal and sniffing that out rather than bedding as secure as a mature deer. If they weren't then I would think they would bed where mature deer do and I don't see that.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Dogs bedding wind to back.

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:29 am

Just saying its strange that they both laid down wind to back facing downwind. I was in the house looking out the window.

There's no yard for them to feel safe in just woods.

Coincidence possible I guess.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”