Loner Bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hplayer13

Re: Loner Bucks

Unread postby hplayer13 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:31 pm

iowa whitetail wrote:
hplayer13 wrote:
iowa whitetail wrote:
hplayer13 wrote:
iowa whitetail wrote:Loner bucks are the easiest bucks to kill. They are usually older with a very small core area. I've found they dont move much at all in day and the ones I've killed and seen killed are all in november just making circles in the small area they roam all year.

So just hunt observation stands until the rut you’re suggesting? I think I mentioned but thankfully my camera is very close to a road and house so I’m able to easily access it and monitor if he’s on the property or in the process of making that loop.

I kill allot of loner bucks sitting in an observation stand. The day after you see them is a good day usually. Dont get discouraged if you dont see him. Go in halloween to nov 1st were you think is a good spot and go from there. Loner bucks are older and dont leave the area. My opinion. Very aggressive deer in there area. On grunt or rattle and it's over.

Are you saying they are a loner because although old they may have got whooped early on? And calling to them will push them out? Or that they’re super aggressive and should come in to any call?
aggressive and are ready to defend territory.

Definitely appreciate the insight. Keep in mind I’m hunting pressured Michigan, where many times bucks have been called to and shot at a dozen times during their early years and flee at the first sound of calls. But given he’s the dominant buck there maybe you’re right. But his demeanor seems to be stand off ish so far

iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:40 pm

hplayer13 wrote:
iowa whitetail wrote:
hplayer13 wrote:
iowa whitetail wrote:
hplayer13 wrote:
iowa whitetail wrote:Loner bucks are the easiest bucks to kill. They are usually older with a very small core area. I've found they dont move much at all in day and the ones I've killed and seen killed are all in november just making circles in the small area they roam all year.

So just hunt observation stands until the rut you’re suggesting? I think I mentioned but thankfully my camera is very close to a road and house so I’m able to easily access it and monitor if he’s on the property or in the process of making that loop.

I kill allot of loner bucks sitting in an observation stand. The day after you see them is a good day usually. Dont get discouraged if you dont see him. Go in halloween to nov 1st were you think is a good spot and go from there. Loner bucks are older and dont leave the area. My opinion. Very aggressive deer in there area. On grunt or rattle and it's over.

Are you saying they are a loner because although old they may have got whooped early on? And calling to them will push them out? Or that they’re super aggressive and should come in to any call?

Definitely appreciate the insight. Keep in mind I’m hunting pressured Michigan, where many times bucks have been called to and shot at a dozen times during their early years and flee at the first sound of calls. But given he’s the dominant buck there maybe you’re right. But his demeanor seems to be stand off ish so far

I'm not saying u have to listen to me I'm just telling you what I've seen. I have a spot that has 2 acres of timber on it and 7 people hunt it. I shot a 167 in it last year and a 163 year before.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:48 pm

iowa whitetail wrote:
hplayer13 wrote:
iowa whitetail wrote:
hplayer13 wrote:
iowa whitetail wrote:
hplayer13 wrote:

I'm not saying u have to listen to me I'm just telling you what I've seen. I have a spot that has 2 acres of timber on it and 7 people hunt it. I shot a 167 in it last year and a 163 year before.

2 acres and 7 hunters!!! Surprised a buck would get anywhere close to that...that is certainly against the grain.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:58 pm

mheichelbech wrote:
iowa whitetail wrote:
hplayer13 wrote:
iowa whitetail wrote:
hplayer13 wrote:
iowa whitetail wrote:
hplayer13 wrote:

2 acres and 7 hunters!!! Surprised a buck would get anywhere close to that...that is certainly against the grain.

If I could figure out how to post a pic I'd post an areal. Its literally 2 acres and the guy has grandsons and a few friends
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:32 am

iowa whitetail wrote:
mheichelbech wrote:
iowa whitetail wrote:
hplayer13 wrote:
iowa whitetail wrote:
hplayer13 wrote:
iowa whitetail wrote:
hplayer13 wrote:

If I could figure out how to post a pic I'd post an areal. Its literally 2 acres and the guy has grandsons and a few friends

What are you doing to be so effective? I hunt a 40 acre parcel where I have to deal with trespassing a lot and even the does stop showing up in daylight if the pressure gets very bad at all.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:38 am

I just wait for them to get sick of the spot then I'll hunt it. Been allot of times I never see a deer but it's a good funnel so you never know. Trespassers suck! I've had cams stole off my own ground.
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:39 am

hplayer13 wrote:Different bucks have different personalities, and I’m currently tracking one 4.5-5.5 yo that is never seen with or around other deer, even in the summer. So far I have zero pattern for him besides I believe he is making a loop and comes by my camera every 5 or so days. I need to find his bedroom, but do you guys have any advice for time of season and other tactics to kill these mature loner type bucks? This is in a pressures, small tracts of land Michigan area

Great thread here. I can definitely relate to the pressure thing. I am from PA which has highest hunter density in the nation.

A couple questions:

- is this farm country or what type of habitat?

-you said small tracts of land, roughly what size is the area you have permission on? (I am guessing you are worried about bouncing him off to another property)

- how much historical data do you have on this buck? Do you have pics of him just from this summer or also from last season during a certain timeframe?

-Have you found any mature buck tracks on the property?
hplayer13

Unread postby hplayer13 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:54 am

comeback_kid wrote:
hplayer13 wrote:Different bucks have different personalities, and I’m currently tracking one 4.5-5.5 yo that is never seen with or around other deer, even in the summer. So far I have zero pattern for him besides I believe he is making a loop and comes by my camera every 5 or so days. I need to find his bedroom, but do you guys have any advice for time of season and other tactics to kill these mature loner type bucks? This is in a pressures, small tracts of land Michigan area

Great thread here. I can definitely relate to the pressure thing. I am from PA which has highest hunter density in the nation.

A couple questions:

-you said small tracts of land, roughly what size is the area you have permission on? (I am guessing you are worried about bouncing him off to another property)

- how much historical data do you have on this buck? Do you have pics of him just from this summer or also from last season during a certain timeframe?

It’s a mix, mainly farm country with swamp, but specifically it’s a 25ish acre spot that basically is 15-18 acres of tall grass in the middle with thicket on the corners, and on one side it somewhat connects with some apple trees along the route. That is my thought of he best spot to attack. I have some turnips and radishes planted, and it’s all very near a few houses. Would you think I can get away with more scent wise if I’m within 50 yards of the road or barn? Can they differentiate? I have only had permission on this piece since the summer so I have a month of pics of him every 5 days roughly, and I have seen one track. I walked through and found a few beds that seemed like buck bedding but I think he actually beds in a 2 acre thicket 150 yards from it.
comeback_kid

Unread postby comeback_kid » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:14 am

hplayer13 wrote:
comeback_kid wrote:

A couple questions:

It’s a mix, mainly farm country with swamp, but specifically it’s a 25ish acre spot that basically is 15-18 acres of tall grass in the middle with thicket on the corners, and on one side it somewhat connects with some apple trees along the route. That is my thought of he best spot to attack. I have some turnips and radishes planted, and it’s all very near a few houses. Would you think I can get away with more scent wise if I’m within 50 yards of the road or barn? Can they differentiate? I have only had permission on this piece since the summer so I have a month of pics of him every 5 days roughly, and I have seen one track. I walked through and found a few beds that seemed like buck bedding but I think he actually beds in a 2 acre thicket 150 yards from it.

So you do not have access to the thicket where the suspected bedding is?

I have hunted a spot similar to this with open field CRP in the middle and woods on the edge and houses on the edge of the woods and it can be tough. As there might not be bedding on the property you have access on and they merely travel through.

I will say this in regards to scent, try and figure out how much the neighbors and/or landowner are out walking around, walking dogs etc. On different farm I hunt where I was very careful about unnecessarily stinking up an area my cameras showed me all kinds of activity from the farmer worker cutting branches, dogs running around with no owner, etc. So depending on the area, I think they can put up with more scent in certain areas outside of the bedding bubble.
hplayer13

Unread postby hplayer13 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:05 am

comeback_kid wrote:
hplayer13 wrote:
comeback_kid wrote:

A couple questions:

I have hunted a spot similar to this with open field CRP in the middle and woods on the edge and houses on the edge of the woods and it can be tough. As there might not be bedding on the property you have access on and they merely travel through.

I will say this in regards to scent, try and figure out how much the neighbors and/or landowner are out walking around, walking dogs etc. On different farm I hunt where I was very careful about unnecessarily stinking up an area my cameras showed me all kinds of activity from the farmer worker cutting branches, dogs running around with no owner, etc. So depending on the area, I think they can put up with more scent in certain areas outside of the bedding bubble.

I do have access to the thicket I just didn’t get a chance to scout it thoroughly up until now. He’s very close, he comes by my camera at first and last light and that thicket is only 150 yards away.
Arakers

Unread postby Arakers » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:12 am

hplayer13 wrote:
comeback_kid wrote:
hplayer13 wrote:
comeback_kid wrote:

A couple questions:

I do have access to the thicket I just didn’t get a chance to scout it thoroughly up until now. He’s very close, he comes by my camera at first and last light and that thicket is only 150 yards away.

Look at your pics of him and use a historical weather data site like weather underground to determine which wind he is using when he is bedding close and showing up in daylight. If you can find a pattern then figure out a setup to hunt the same wind direction in which he is showing up in daylight.
Working for the weekend
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:22 am

The does might come to him. I’ve seen this behavior in pressured bucks.They won’t move far even in rut. Figure out where that is and you can kill him
hplayer13

Unread postby hplayer13 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:23 am

I talked to a neighbor who gave me permission to access but not hunt the edge of that thicket but it gives me more options for access. I’m almost positive after her telling me she saw him last year in her yard he is in the assumed thicket, but so far on all the pics I have nothing has any consistency (moon, wind, temp, pressure etc) but it is summer. Only consistent thing is time of day he travels and period of time he is on camera, and that he is never with other deer
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:30 am

[quote="hplayer13"]Different bucks have different personalities, and I’m currently tracking one 4.5-5.5 yo that is never seen with or around other deer, even in the summer. So far I have zero pattern for him besides I believe he is making a loop and comes by my camera every 5 or so days. I need to find his bedroom, but do you guys have any advice for time of season and other tactics to kill these mature loner type bucks? This is in a pressures, small tracts of land Michigan area[/quote]

This isn't helpful for finding him, but I found it interesting and it makes sense. I read an article once that talked about how bucks in bachelor groups band together, typically they are similar ages. Newer younger bucks have to kind of prove themselves to be added to the group. When a buck gets to be 4.5 to 5.5 in higher pressure areas, most or all of their peers are probably dead, and they are not putting up with the antics of much younger deer and bachelor groups anymore. So maybe it's not so much that this deer has a different personality and never had a group, just that he became a loner when his group died off.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
hplayer13

Unread postby hplayer13 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:34 am

Huntress13 wrote:[quote="hplayer13"]Different bucks have different personalities, and I’m currently tracking one 4.5-5.5 yo that is never seen with or around other deer, even in the summer. So far I have zero pattern for him besides I believe he is making a loop and comes by my camera every 5 or so days. I need to find his bedroom, but do you guys have any advice for time of season and other tactics to kill these mature loner type bucks? This is in a pressures, small tracts of land Michigan area

This isn't helpful for finding him, but I found it interesting and it makes sense. I read an article once that talked about how bucks in bachelor groups band together, typically they are similar ages. Newer younger bucks have to kind of prove themselves to be added to the group. When a buck gets to be 4.5 to 5.5 in higher pressure areas, most or all of their peers are probably dead, and they are not putting up with the antics of much younger deer and bachelor groups anymore. So maybe it's not so much that this deer has a different personality and never had a group, just that he became a loner when his group died off.[/quote]

Interesting. That makes sense, and in this area it is rare to see a 3 year old so to have this brute around is awesome. I do mainly know where he’s at, if he stays, which I think he will because he feels safe there. But it’s when to jump in after him because i probably only have 3 acres of huntable area.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”