Questions for the Beasts out there

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cspot
500 Club

Questions for the Beasts out there

Unread postby cspot » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:38 am

Thought this may be interesting to get some info from some of the long term beasts out there since season is close or maybe just started in a lot of states.

1. How many targeted mature buck have you confirmed (physically seen or have trail cam pics) this summer that you plan on chasing?
2. How many targeted mature buck that you haven't confirmed are still alive, but had seen last year and think they made it past last hunting season?
3. Excluding those from #1 and #2 how many hunting areas do you have that based upon sign you feel that there is a mature buck using that area?
4. How many have located a buck that would be their personal best buck if they are able to harvest it?

I know some may be hard to quantify especially #3 so take your best guess if not sure but just curious with some of the guys that have been doing this for a while just how many they typically are after in a year.

Ishi Spirit

Re: Questions for the Beasts out there

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:50 am

1. I haven’t checked my cameras yet and won’t till season opens unless I cave in :snooty:
2. Three bucks where my cameras are.
3.Every area I hunt will have a mature buck to hunt. All locations are tried and true.
4. The one buck that I really hope is alive could be better than my best one.
The Spirit Lives On
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:06 am

1. 5
2. 1
3. Kinda depends on what you define as unique areas. I will be bouncing around all season on wma's that I know hold numerous mature bucks that I have never seen or have pics of
4. I have a shed off one buck that would absolutely be my largest and oldest
Not all those who wander are lost...
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:41 am

cspot wrote:1. How many targeted mature buck have you confirmed (physically seen or have trail cam pics) this summer that you plan on chasing?
3 mature bucks

2. How many targeted mature buck that you haven't confirmed are still alive, but had seen last year and think they made it past last hunting season?
2 that confirmed alive post season but wont see on land I can hunt until after seasonal shift

3. Excluding those from #1 and #2 how many hunting areas do you have that based upon sign you feel that there is a mature buck using that area?
3 areas of pressured public that I know 4 mature bucks are there

4. How many have located a buck that would be their personal best buck if they are able to harvest it?
2 for sure would be personal best possibly a 3rd would be close. Talking mature I refer to 4-5 year old and older. There are several “shooters” I know if that I would be very happy to take given the opportunity
daveynewman
500 Club

Unread postby daveynewman » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:47 am

This year I did absolutely no scouting due to a new job change and a big move to another house. Didnt even get to put out 1 camera. I will be going in blind alot this season which i am.excited for
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:03 pm

1. At least 7 I can think of off the top of my head.
2. 0
3. I have probably a dozen if not more properties that hold/have held mature bucks in the past. I won't know what the sign tells me till I go in there with the stand on my back though.
4. 4 of the bucks I know of will be my best PA buck but not biggest ever.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:09 pm

1. 0
2. 4, maybe 5
3. 4
4. :dance:
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:37 pm

1) 2. Have only pulled 2 of 9 cards on cams I’ve had soaking since July 4. The two I have are mature shooters, but not bucks I intend to dedicate a season to.

2) I had pics of 5 different bucks at the end of last year, that had potential to be bucks that Would be at the top of the list this year. 4 of them could be on the cards I’ve yet to pull. 1 I’ve yet to put cams out for. Will do so in a week or two. Some regulations keeping me from doing that.

3) 1 & 2 go off just two properties except the buck I mentioned last. I’ve yet to spot check any properties this summer, but I expect there to be mature bucks on every property I hunt. So, 9 total.

4) Not yet and don’t expect to pre-season.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:59 pm

1. Probably 10
2. Actually 0. I didn’t know of any that made it last winter that were 2.5 or over. I only found two sheds both 1.5
3. Maybe a dozen spread out over 5 counties and 2 states
4.2 would be my personal best public or private
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:21 pm

cspot wrote:Thought this may be interesting to get some info from some of the long term beasts out there since season is close or maybe just started in a lot of states.

1. How many targeted mature buck have you confirmed (physically seen or have trail cam pics) this summer that you plan on chasing?

First year applying certain beast tactics such as buck beds and such...

1. 3
2. 2
3. Dozens
4. 1, I think. Saw him late June, looked promising.

The 2 unconfirmed I do know made it past deer season from trail camera pics. Have not seen them this summer.

I am more prepared for this season than I've ever been, however, I still have so much to learn and be prepared for. I have explored several new promising areas, seen 7 velvet bucks (3 of which look to be mature), found old buck beds and some unidentified fresh buck beds. But I do not know any of these new areas like the back of my hand and my old areas need to be revisited with beast tactics in mind. I know there are numerous mature bucks living amongst the 200,000+ acres of new public land I have visited but it's going to take years to learn them and the hunting pressure that goes with them.

My goals are to remain realistic, stay positive, and mostly in season scout while only hunting when the sign says to. At the very least I hope to have a handful of mature buck encounters and have fun.

I am so thankful to have come across a forum full of such great hunters willing to share information to make others and I an even better hunter. This place is a plethora of hunting knowledge with so many people of excellent character. Even had one guy, Burkhart, send milkweed for my dad and I to use this season. I appreciate everyone here and hope they kill a big one this year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”