best option: leave 2 low glow vid cams or sneak in remove?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

raisins

best option: leave 2 low glow vid cams or sneak in remove?

Unread postby raisins » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:00 am

All,

I have some bucks on camera but didn't think I could tell where they were coming from just with still pictures. So, I added a second camera (both are 15 foot up tree, angled down, and tasco low glow) and set both to video mode (one previous was on camera mode).

I then tested (for the first time) the video mode on these things (after returning home and using a spare cam), and them being on solid for 10 seconds with their red leds is concerning me (also that there are two of them now).

I did all this addition on Saturday (Aug 24). Previous to that, I hadn't been to the location in 1 month.

The bucks are only visiting (so far) during the day, so the low glow leds might not bother them (until they change pattern or another buck shows up).

It's drizzling today and tonight. I'm considering putting on my rubber boots/scent free spray and sneaking in after dark and grabbing my SD cards, removing 1 camera, and setting the other back to picture mode. Season starts end of September.

Is this worse than leaving the cams up? It seems no matter what I do, I'm going to feel like I did or am screwing this up.

Thanks for any words of wisdom.....and goes to show that maybe I shouldn't make decisions like this in the woods without testing or thinking much prior.

-R

backstraps

Re: best option: leave 2 low glow vid cams or sneak in remove?

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:22 am

How far out from when you plan to hunt?

Low glow 15’ in a tree I feel you have zero worries
Scent you’re going to leave going in, removing, relocating and exiting.... lots of worries there
raisins

Unread postby raisins » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:35 am

backstraps wrote:How far out from when you plan to hunt?

Low glow 15’ in a tree I feel you have zero worries
Scent you’re going to leave going in, removing, relocating and exiting.... lots of worries there

One of the cams might be closer to 12 foot, and it's on the downhill side of where they are travelling, so might only be about 8 foot in reference to deer.

I'll hunt this first day past Sept 28 that has the correct wind (based upon intel). I'm guessing I'll hunt this at least one day between Sept 28 and Oct 10.
Last edited by raisins on Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:44 am

I see where you’re coming from. Kind of a catch22

I would opt to leave the cameras and get them after first hunt

But, if you're hunting where the cams are soaking now, the glow may / may not spook something??

That’s a gut call there :lol:
raisins

Unread postby raisins » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:47 am

backstraps wrote:I see where you’re coming from. Kind of a catch22

I would opt to leave the cameras and get them after first hunt

But, if you're hunting where the cams are soaking now, the glow may / may not spook something??

That’s a gut call there :lol:

I really wish it would rain like crazy tonight. Would make it easy to slip on my all rubber rain gear, rain boots, and just walk in slow and easy with a red headlamp on.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:44 am

I'm not entirely sure the rain removes all the scent. I hunt FL and we get frequent downpours yet I still run the big bucks off messing with trail cams.

Have you got a card reader that can play your videos? If you have a tablet or whatever that can, check em both the day you hunt - before you set your stand. Make sure to mute it while at home.
raisins

Unread postby raisins » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:43 am

Rich M wrote:I'm not entirely sure the rain removes all the scent. I hunt FL and we get frequent downpours yet I still run the big bucks off messing with trail cams.

Have you got a card reader that can play your videos? If you have a tablet or whatever that can, check em both the day you hunt - before you set your stand. Make sure to mute it while at home.

I do. I'm just afraid those 10 second red lights (1 minute interval trigger) for the next month will be very bad. My old set up was one camera with a 5 second trigger and just a pic (so red glow only for a moment).
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:15 am

I don't think the cams will do anything more than divert a buck a few yards to avoid the camera.

Your scent from putting the cams up then a few days pass and more scent “could” relocate him a few ridges, few properties or none at all. They’re all different. If you have some younger bucks there 3.5 and younger they could smell you the first time and relocate

Advice above, “check the cams when you hunt with volume muted” is a good idea.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:51 am

If you do leave them you should find out for sure. How/if they affect the bucks. It may mess things up a little, but then you'll know for sure how to use them in the future! And won't be agonizing over what to do again next time/year.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:38 pm

Been running trailcams for 20+ years. Some bucks get nervous some seem to love them. Most get used to them .i wouldn’t worry about the cam as much as the scent you are leaving. You are not going to trick a deer he will know you were in there. Some get used to that as well where as others won’t tolerate much. Every deer is different.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”