Just something Interesting - Weather related

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PredatorTC
500 Club

Just something Interesting - Weather related

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:11 pm

My observation of the day:

I have 4 wireless trail cameras running that obviously send me photos immediately. Two are on trails from bedding to food, another is in a bedding area where the deer are active all day, and the other is on a hidden food source that its often active all day. It's fascinating to watch to watch because when one camera is slow they are all slow and when deer activity is high, they are all going off. Whats fascinated me today is that since last night, when the storms started rolling in, all of the cameras have been completely dead. Zero deer activity. I did get a blue Jay on the one, so I know the service is still working, but i'm surprised how much this simple rain has suppressed deer movement.

FRH
500 Club

Re: Just something Interesting - Weather related

Unread postby FRH » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:15 pm

It'll be interesting to see how much movement there is after the storms pass through. Whether it's more than a normal day or not?
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:21 pm

FRH wrote:It'll be interesting to see how much movement there is after the storms pass through. Whether it's more than a normal day or not?

For sure, I will defiantly report back tomorrow night and see.
live2hunt

Unread postby live2hunt » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:22 pm

Do you think they are inactive or just inactive where the cameras are? Meaning do you think they relocate to different areas unknown caused by rain. Or just absolutely don’t move?
beddedbuck

Unread postby beddedbuck » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:25 pm

My brother and I were just talking about the no action today on any of our cameras, Great observation and interesting that you too are having a slow day. Our cameras are on west end of calumet county (Wisconsin) Where about a are you?
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:26 pm

PredatorTC wrote:My observation of the day:

I have 4 wireless trail cameras running that obviously send me photos immediately. Two are on trails from bedding to food, another is in a bedding area where the deer are active all day, and the other is on a hidden food source that its often active all day. It's fascinating to watch to watch because when one camera is slow they are all slow and when deer activity is high, they are all going off. Whats fascinated me today is that since last night, when the storms started rolling in, all of the cameras have been completely dead. Zero deer activity. I did get a blue Jay on the one, so I know the service is still working, but i'm surprised how much this simple rain has suppressed deer movement.

Very cool, I have noticed the EXACT same thing this year!!
What really surprises me, is when the pictures arrive with shooters in the pics.... all my cams are within an hour of one another so far this month!!
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:27 pm

live2hunt wrote:Do you think they are inactive or just inactive where the cameras are? Meaning do you think they relocate to different areas unknown caused by rain. Or just absolutely don’t move?

That's a good point. I'm guessing inactive, but I couldn't be sure unless I would have made it out glassing tonight.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:28 pm

beddedbuck wrote:My brother and I were just talking about the no action today on any of our cameras, Great observation and interesting that you too are having a slow day. Our cameras are on west end of calumet county (Wisconsin) Where about a are you?

SE WI, but they are really spread out around this portion of the state
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:29 pm

backstraps wrote:
PredatorTC wrote:My observation of the day:

Very cool, I have noticed the EXACT same thing this year!!
What really surprises me, is when the pictures arrive with shooters in the pics.... all my cams are within an hour of one another so far this month!!

Thats wild!
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:04 pm

Thanks for sharing Joe. Good stuff right there 8-)

Just think of the effort it would take to piece that together pulling cards like we normally do. :think: you’d have to write it all down and put the pieces together relating it all back to the storm.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:47 pm

Lockdown wrote:Thanks for sharing Joe. Good stuff right there 8-)

Just think of the effort it would take to piece that together pulling cards like we normally do. :think: you’d have to write it all down and put the pieces together relating it all back to the storm.

Very true!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:52 pm

Its funny you posted this bc driving home i couldnt believe i didn't see a single deer in the beans. We have another storm rolling in.

Movement timing before a storm has always been tough for me to guess. I love being in the woods before the rain stops though...
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:14 pm

I'm betting late tonight and tomorrow they will be blowing up.

I hate hunting in the rain anyway :lol: ;)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:17 pm

Yeah, that's super interesting. Id be curious when they start blowing your phone up in relation to the storm passing.
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:21 pm

I wake up every morning at 2am, check the photos and fall back asleep. It's an unhealthy habit :lol: but I usually have a pile of photos by then. Last night I didn't have any.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”