Just something Interesting - Weather related

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mag1
500 Club

Re: Just something Interesting - Weather related

Unread postby mag1 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:29 pm

I noticed one decent sized deer, head was buried in the beans on my way home tonight around 4:45. Outagamie county for the wis. Guys. Nothing was out by the Oshkosh dump though. That’s where I normally get a good read on what they are doing. :mrgreen:

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:43 pm

PredatorTC wrote:I wake up every morning at 2am, check the photos and fall back asleep. It's an unhealthy habit :lol: but I usually have a pile of photos by then. Last night I didn't have any.

Joe, You can send them to me, that should help you get more sleep :lol: 8-)

I've actually found movement differ between an all day soaking rain, and a fast moving storm front that's thru in 30 minutes. The fast moving front seems better for deer movement than the slow all day light rains.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:38 pm

tgreeno wrote:
PredatorTC wrote:I wake up every morning at 2am, check the photos and fall back asleep. It's an unhealthy habit :lol: but I usually have a pile of photos by then. Last night I didn't have any.

I've actually found movement differ between an all day soaking rain, and a fast moving storm front that's thru in 30 minutes. The fast moving front seems better for deer movement than the slow all day light rains.

I’ve found the same to be true .....also you have to be out and ready if that all day rain is forecasted to stop before dark .
beddedbuck

Unread postby beddedbuck » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:01 pm

E72 wrote:
tgreeno wrote:

I’ve found the same to be true .....also you have to be out and ready if that all day rain is forecasted to stop before dark .

PredatorTC I’m glad I’m not the only one. Between my brother and my cameras on one app I am always checking it if i happen to wake up at 1,2,3,...o’clock in the am. Then first thing I do when I wake up. I’m addicted!!!
beddedbuck

Unread postby beddedbuck » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:05 pm

I’ll report again next couple days. It will be interesting to see a large scale research on activity with this weather. I’m guessing we are all going to have similar results.
wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:07 pm

Not deer, but we had an all day rain today, and my goats were tucked away the whole day, no movement at all, except for the short rain breaks. Then they came out to eat and exercise. Odd how similar they act!
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:20 pm

I saw a lot in a couple different bean fields about an hour before the rain stopped, although it was getting spottier and not a steady rain. Waukesha.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:51 pm

PredatorTC wrote:
live2hunt wrote:Do you think they are inactive or just inactive where the cameras are? Meaning do you think they relocate to different areas unknown caused by rain. Or just absolutely don’t move?

That's a good point. I'm guessing inactive, but I couldn't be sure unless I would have made it out glassing tonight.

We had a light steady rain all day yesterday. I just picked up a farm in Ohio, and decided to walk a field edge looking for tracks, about 12.30p. Rounded the corner to see a 6 point. Decided to bump him off after a couple minutes. He jumped a shooter and a couple other bucks that were bedded in 3' of canary grass along the field drainage; runs the length of the field down the middle. After a couple minutes I found their tradional farm country beds 5-10' inside the timber looking out, watching the 2 main access trails.

Noticed the same thing hunting crp in KY last early season. Kinda like how turkeys act in midday rain. Or maybe being out in the rain helps them cool down and knocks off the mosquitoes in early season.
Grasshopper

Unread postby Grasshopper » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:56 am

A few years back when I was running cameras more we had a hurricane hit the NE I think it was Sandy whichever one hit NJ. It rained non stop for a few days and happened to be right around Halloween. The storm initially shut down movement from what I could tell no pictures at all. Then it seemed like the bigger bucks couldn't take it anymore and had to go check the scrapes. Even though it was still raining steady and whatever scent they laid down would likely be washed away. After the storm had ended there was an explosion of movement.
Side note as the storm was petering I knew I had to get out there, but my usual access by creek was pouring over the banks and unsafe. I ended up crossing a cut bean field. I watched my target cross a wide open field for a quarter mile heading to the wood lot I was in. When he hit my trail through the cut beans he smelled it without even lowering his head. He turned and ran and that's when I realized scent control was a waste of time.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:10 am

I had a doe come into my orchard last evening just prior to sunset. It was pouring. :think: 1at time I've seen her in 2 weeks. The apples are really starting to drop though. This morning the rain was done and I saw a pile of 'city deer' moving around in town. It rained from around 10 in the morning till around 3 am.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:10 am

Wetfoot wrote:I had a doe come into my orchard last evening just prior to sunset. It was pouring. :think: 1st time I've seen her in 2 weeks. The apples are really starting to drop though. This morning the rain was done and I saw a pile of 'city deer' moving around in town. It rained from around 10 in the morning till around 3 am.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:08 am

When I got up and 5:00 and checked my phone it showed I had great movement last night with deer and hogs until about 11. It was raining when I got up and not sure when it had started last night but I'll say it wasn't long after 11:00. Rain has stopped now and just got a pic of a coon walking by, guess he's trying to find something to eat now that's it not raining.
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:17 am

Glad you go some extra sleep!
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:57 am

tgreeno wrote:

haha ill just forward em to ya
PredatorTC
500 Club

Unread postby PredatorTC » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:59 am

cameras were quiet all night last night again.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”