Creek Thermals in Hill/Ag country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

gillyfi

Creek Thermals in Hill/Ag country

Unread postby gillyfi » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:29 am

I need some thoughts and reassurance on the following setup on public land. I have a creek flowing from the E to W separating flat creek bottom vegetation and ag fields to the north from a ridge system with rolling somewhat steep topography in places along the southern side of the creek. I have confirmed the majority of the bucks bed up on this ridge overlooking the creek and an access path that runs the length of the creek. Deer trails are coming off the hillside, crossing the access path, then crossing the creek which has steep 6ft to 10ft banks, up into the ag. Im hesitant to even attempt to set up on the southern side of the creek because the deer will be watching the creek and that access path. I can come in from the ag side and either hang just inside the ag facing the creek or set up right on the creek and be able shoot the deer either in the creek or once they get up the bank. The water in the creek is not deep and the creek is approximately 20-40 ft wide in spots with sand bars. My thought is if a westerly wind dies down in the evening, the thermals will pull down to the creek which will make the "wind" shift 180 degrees and flow downstream towards the west, creating an easterly "wind" flow. With this easterly flow in the evening Im worried the deer will smell me when they get down in the creek. Also I feel like I will need to setup further west of some of the deer trails coming across the creek to account for this easterly thermal flow in the evening...? I know I am over analyzing this situation but I want to make sure I set up right the first evening. Should I set up high right on the creek or should I set up 10-50 yards off the creek closer to the ag to account for this thermal switch?

Whitetailaddict
500 Club

Re: Creek Thermals in Hill/Ag country

Unread postby Whitetailaddict » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:03 am

This is one of those situations you can get a lot of input but ultimately you'll have to take a gamble and try it out. Get some sort of wind checker like milkweed and see what it does with your scent. I would imagine in the evenings if the wind is calm your scent would drop into the creek and follow the flowing water but again you'd have to confirm. One other thing I might be concerned with is how far these deer are moving from their beds. They may only move to the edge of their line of sight and may not get to you for a shot until after dark. With early season foliage they might not be able to see as far as you think but only you'd know that from your scouting. You may need to push the envelope here and the worst thing that happens is you mess up a hunt but you can learn from it. All the best hunters have messed something up at some time but the great ones learn from their mistakes so they don't repeat them in the future. You have to be willing to risk the occasional failure to ultimately achieve success in the long run. Experience will teach you how close you can push it.
gillyfi

Unread postby gillyfi » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:17 am

I appreciate the response Whitetail Addict. You are correct there are many scenarios and I just might have to fail to succeed at this spot. Right now the forecast is for a straight South wind for our bow opener. Im thinking with a south wind blowing over the ridge and perpendicular to the creek I should probably sit closer to the ag with my wind blowing into the ag behind me. I have milkweed and will definitely be using it. I have trail cam confirmation several different bachelor groups showing up on the ag side of the creek between 7pm and 830pm, however; those are in July and early August when they are more comfortable. If one hunter goes in there opening morning it could push them off that ridge further back into the woods and change any pattern. There are a lot of what ifs. I already feel better just typing it out and getting someones perspective. Im super pumped that I have pics of more shooter bucks on this piece of public than on my private. I just need to seal the deal on one.
The Silence

Unread postby The Silence » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:24 pm

Gillyfi, I've hunted in drainages themselves. I set up right at a turn where I could sit on a small stool hiding in some roots, in the shade, with a crossing 15 yards in front of me. Stopped the doe and blew the shot. I've thought of doing the same thing on small rivers with steep banks. Wade in the shallow river within shooting distance of the crossing(s) and set up as close to the bank that they will be coming from. Basically, tucked into the side of the bank. The bank needs to be tall enough to hide you, but as they come down the bank they should have no idea you're there. You can also set up on whatever side of the crossing trail you need to based on the wind direction and you know they will not have seen you at all. The trickiest thing is that you will have no vantage point to see anything at all and if you do get a shot off the arrow may end up in the water.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:47 pm

Rather than gamble on the thermals, I’d do some pre-season testing and see if you can figure out if they’re doing what you think they will. Obviously don’t burn your spot, find a section of the creek that replicates your scenario.

The only time I ever banked on creek thermals helping me, they didn’t. The wind was almost non existent so if I was ever going to experience a thermal pull, that would have been the day.

I ended up getting smelled by a yearling buck :roll: after I thought about it, this was field tile run off. Water temp is going to be way colder since it’s coming from several feet underground.

As always, a little practice before the big game never hurts.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”