EHD

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cspot
500 Club

EHD

Unread postby cspot » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:53 am

Hearing reports that EHD is hitting in Illinois, Indiana, and Kentucky. Any reports from anywhere else?

Ishi Spirit

Re: EHD

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:59 am

So far its hammering a four county region south of Des Moines Iowa. Very weird but I haven’t heard of any other areas in the state getting hit that hard yet. Thankfully the state received some good rain last week which I hope stops this outbreak.
The Spirit Lives On
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:59 am

There are minor outbreaks here and there here in Iowa with 1 huge spot in southern Iowa that is being decimated.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:07 am

Ishi Spirit wrote:So far its hammering a four county region south of Des Moines Iowa. Very weird but I haven’t heard of any other areas in the state getting hit that hard yet. Thankfully the state received some good rain last week which I hope stops this outbreak.

Unfortunately the only thing that will stop it is frost once it starts. A lot of experts used to say that EHD would be worse in drought conditions because it would concentrate deer water holes and streams with mud. In 2017 in PA we had one of the wetter years on record and then they said that it was because of all the rain there was a lot of water in places. I have to wonder if the amount of rainfall actually makes any difference.
Ishi Spirit

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:46 am

cspot wrote:
Ishi Spirit wrote:So far its hammering a four county region south of Des Moines Iowa. Very weird but I haven’t heard of any other areas in the state getting hit that hard yet. Thankfully the state received some good rain last week which I hope stops this outbreak.

Unfortunately the only thing that will stop it is frost once it starts. A lot of experts used to say that EHD would be worse in drought conditions because it would concentrate deer water holes and streams with mud. In 2017 in PA we had one of the wetter years on record and then they said that it was because of all the rain there was a lot of water in places. I have to wonder if the amount of rainfall actually makes any difference.

Great points! I was wondering if the rain would slow it down. This Spring Iowa has a abundance of rain if fact way to my much. The summer was dryer and not much rain until last week.
The last bad outbreak was 2013 and stayed in 14,15 but wasn’t as harsh. I hunted a area that had it those three years which made deer sightings slim but I was able to tag a good buck every year except 2013 which I logged 227 hours on stand which made for grueling season.
EHD is a dreadful disease with many unknowns on the why’s
The Spirit Lives On
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:11 am

Ishi Spirit wrote:
cspot wrote:

Great points! I was wondering if the rain would slow it down. This Spring Iowa has a abundance of rain if fact way to my much. The summer was dryer and not much rain until last week.
The last bad outbreak was 2013 and stayed in 14,15 but wasn’t as harsh. I hunted a area that had it those three years which made deer sightings slim but I was able to tag a good buck every year except 2013 which I logged 227 hours on stand which made for grueling season.
EHD is a dreadful disease with many unknowns on the why’s

For some reason in PA it seems like it hit about every 5 years in the same location. Not sure why that is. Fortunately I have always been on the fringe of the outbreak so I haven't had as much issues as some. Where the outbreak is bad it really hammers the deer population for sure.
austin1990
500 Club

Unread postby austin1990 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:30 pm

cspot wrote:

3 years ago we had a drought summer here in AR, that fall a guy I know killed a doe during muzzleloader season that was very sick. A biologist came and tested, came back as blue tongue and he said it was because of the dry conditions he'd tested deer all over that had it. That was the first and only deer I've ever seen with it. Since then we've had very wet summers and I haven't heard of any sick deer anywhere close to my area.
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:38 am

EHD is usually worse in drought years because more muddy surface area is exposed as water recedes, which the gnats responsible for transmitting the disease need to reproduce. Iowa had an extremely wet spring/first half of summer, causing abnormally high water levels. So now, as the water levels return to normal, the flooded areas are now the muddy breeding grounds for the gnats. Seems like you can’t win.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”