Steps after killing a velvet buck....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Steps after killing a velvet buck....

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:27 am

We're having the 2nd annual velvet hunt here in good ole TN this season. Temperatures are supposed to be around 90. I wasn't going to bother going unless I had evidence of a buck that I would shoulder mount to preserve the velvet. I've got pictures of the buck and feel like I know the bedding area that he should be using if I have the correct wind for this Saturday evening (too soon to tell).

What steps have you guys taken to make sure the meat isn't wasted and the velvet is preserved for the mount? I'm not trying to count my chickens before the eggs hatch, but I do want to be ready if it comes together.

milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Re: Steps after killing a velvet buck....

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:35 am

11point.JPG

Here's the buck I'd be after.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:43 am

Just going off memory but don't they freeze dry velvet racks? Might need to have a freeze dry option nearby, otherwise freeze the head until you can find one. For meat in high temps, time is important, I either quarter and get them in a cooler with ice or pull out some racks in the fridge and get them cooled down asap.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:58 am

probably hard to get a hold of but formaldehyde and a big syringe. I've heard of folks injecting it into the tips of each tine and venting holes in the base and main beam and pumping the velvet full until it runs out of the holes. Formaldehyde is some super nasty stuff though and a good taxidermist can flock the antlers if need be to mimic it otherwise. I have a Sept. 1 opener in my state and I've always had an issue with worrying about it. I've only killed two in velvet and just skull capped them and let it dry out. It looks like garbage but my biggest concern was saving the meat. and that gets to be a scramble. But I inevitably sit myself out there in 85% humidity and 90 degree temps getting bombed by mosquitos just to get a crack at one when the are patternable like they are early.
Good luck
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Ranger Matthews

Unread postby Ranger Matthews » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:11 am

Freeze it as soon as you can. You can buy “velvet antler tan” from McKenzie taxidermy supply which is basically formaldehyde. Early velvet you inject into blood vessels. If it’s hard velvet like right before they shed you just brush it on. Most taxidermists that do a lot of velvet mounts ship the horns out to be freeze dried or there are people that do very good artificial velvet.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:01 am

After having mounted my fair share - I would freeze it and then take it to a taxidermist that can freeze dry it.
jwangle13

Unread postby jwangle13 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:13 am

My taxidermist had one he was doing and he said if you are going to mount go ahead and turn it upside down to drain the blood and dont touch them. Something about the oils in your skin. Also, I field dress asap and keep the deer out of the sun. When I get home I quarter immediately and put it on ice in bags.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”