Tennessee 2019 Velvet Hunt

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TNDawg44

Re: Tennessee 2019 Velvet Hunt

Unread postby TNDawg44 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:19 pm

I’ll be out all 3 days fighting the skeeters. My hopes aren’t super high, the property I have access too got planted in beans super late and the deer don’t seem to be hitting them on a pattern like last year.

That being said, I did slip in to glass this afternoon and ran across this rub. Are any of you other TN guys seeing rubs already? I don’t know what else it could be.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:54 pm

TNDawg44 wrote:I’ll be out all 3 days fighting the skeeters. My hopes aren’t super high, the property I have access too got planted in beans super late and the deer don’t seem to be hitting them on a pattern like last year.

That being said, I did slip in to glass this afternoon and ran across this rub. Are any of you other TN guys seeing rubs already? I don’t know what else it could be.

The late planted beans are typically the most desirable ones as they're still growing leaves and are more tender. I'd look for the shady, low spots and get some eyes on them each afternoon this week if possible.

As for the rub, was the tree alive? It looks either dead, or like a rub from last year to me. Way too early for this year's rubs.
Not all those who wander are lost...
TNDawg44

Unread postby TNDawg44 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:12 pm

Last edited by TNDawg44 on Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TNDawg44

Unread postby TNDawg44 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:14 pm

TNDawg44 wrote:
jwilkstn wrote:
TNDawg44 wrote:I’ll be out all 3 days fighting the skeeters. My hopes aren’t super high, the property I have access too got planted in beans super late and the deer don’t seem to be hitting them on a pattern like last year.

The late planted beans are typically the most desirable ones as they're still growing leaves and are more tender. I'd look for the shady, low spots and get some eyes on them each afternoon this week if possible.

As for the rub, was the tree alive? It looks either dead, or like a rub from last year to me. Way too early for this year's rubs.

Jwilks, that’s what I’ve been told, but don’t see any deer hitting them. But then see deer in a hayfield on my way out.

As for the tree, it’s definitely alive, and not from last year. Last weekend when I glassed I noticed it but it was just a small patch. Now it’s 3/4 the way around the tree. Any ideas?
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:43 pm

TNDawg44 wrote:
TNDawg44 wrote:
jwilkstn wrote:

Jwilks, that’s what I’ve been told, but don’t see any deer hitting them. But then see deer in a hayfield on my way out.

As for the tree, it’s definitely alive, and not from last year. Last weekend when I glassed I noticed it but it was just a small patch. Now it’s 3/4 the way around the tree. Any ideas?

Early hard horned buck at it. Usually a mature buck. Haven't seen any this early myself, but have seen early September, 1st week, rubs and scrapes. Have read about, and talked to others that have seen them in late August. Good luck!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:45 pm

stash59 wrote:
TNDawg44 wrote:
TNDawg44 wrote:
jwilkstn wrote:

Early hard horned buck at it. Usually a mature buck. Haven't seen any this early myself, but have seen early September, 1st week, rubs and scrapes. Have read about, and talked to others that have seen them in late August. Good luck!!!!

Unless Dan's been in there scratching on trees with a Beast stick!!!!! ;) :lol:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
TNDawg44

Unread postby TNDawg44 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:52 pm

stash59 wrote:
stash59 wrote:
TNDawg44 wrote:
TNDawg44 wrote:
jwilkstn wrote:

Unless Dan's been in there scratching on trees with a Beast stick!!!!! ;) :lol:

My first thought was that my dad/brother were playing a trick on me!
Good to know it’s possibly a deer. We’ll find out next weekend.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:28 pm

:clap: good luck.

I will be hunting next weekend also.

I have a area about to get logged soon so I will probably farewell hunt it. I don't expect to be successful it's more for the memory.

I will be after him soon.
Sdz6.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:33 pm

Bonecrusher101 wrote:Yeah Im all in!

I don’t know how much I agree with all of it but I’m definitely not gonna sit on the couch and look at Facebook of other hunters hauling velvety bucks off the public land I hunt without me going out too! I’ve got Friday off, and good lord, they even are allowing muzzleloaders in the CWD zones, crazy!

I think muzzleloader is a huge negative they will put deer on edge and will result in a far lower archery harvest then in previous years in the western part of the state.

Guns make deer go nocturnal. The criminals at Twra accepted money from the car insurance companies to wipe out the deer herd and just blaim cwd which is nothing more then a government created virus that began testing in Colorado and they spread it across to other states.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:17 pm

stash59 wrote:
TNDawg44 wrote:
TNDawg44 wrote:
jwilkstn wrote:

I know of a couple bucks killed last year during the velvet hunt, completely hard horned and clean!!
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:51 am

Interesting. In all my years of running numerous trail cameras I've never seen a buck shed in these parts until September 13th at the earliest
Not all those who wander are lost...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”