Transition line?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

burtle

Transition line?

Unread postby burtle » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:51 am

Hey guys
so I'm going 100% mobile this year. Instead of throwing up ladder stands in what I think would be good spots.

I did some scouting and walked back about 1.5 miles on public land (not that means much for the fact I came across two stands already) and I came across to what I believe is a transition line.

Walking back it is really thick and then you come into very open timber and then you go into stuff so thick I didn't even attempt to walk through. But I did find 4 trails going into the REALLY thick stuff that you'll see in the pictures.

The thick stuff appears to be that thick for about 50 yards or so. I can walk around the thick stuff and it goes back into semi thick/grass etc....

I'm guessing that's where bedding would be? That's something I didn't really find today is bedding. I'm still kinda torn on the whole bedding and finding them. As you can see in the picture of the really open timber its just all dirt and everything looks the same to me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

burtle

Re: Transition line?

Unread postby burtle » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:51 am

I have no idea why the pictures are sideways ? Can someone fix them or explain how ? Thanks!
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:53 am

Did you follow the trails coming out of the thick stuff to see if there were any beds up in there?

It is a transition line. A transition can be a change in timber/foliage like what you seem to have or it could just be a change in elevation.
burtle

Unread postby burtle » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:49 am

milkweed-militia wrote:Did you follow the trails coming out of the thick stuff to see if there were any beds up in there?

It is a transition line. A transition can be a change in timber/foliage like what you seem to have or it could just be a change in elevation.

From the parking lot you walk through thick timber and then it drops down quite a bit into the big open timber and then it goes into that super thick stuff as pictured. I did not follow the trails through the very thick stuff

I saw trials going into it and they look like they get used pretty often. Do you guys think it’s worth going into the very thick stuff to find the beds? I don’t want to ruin my chances come October 1st. I do know that.

It’s super thick as the picture shows for about 50 yards and probably at least 400 yards wide. On the other side is semi thick/open timber again. I did not work my way around to the other side today. I plan on doing that tomorrow
HANSEND1986

Unread postby HANSEND1986 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:56 am

Did you find any good tracks? That can help you figure out what is in the area. Even better if you find scrapes where trails often intersect. Given all the exposed dirt, tracks ought to be fairly easy to see. If you can find trails then you'd think there would be old rubs somewhere. Assuming there are bucks in the area, follow the buck sign and you should eventually find some beds.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:17 am

burtle wrote:
milkweed-militia wrote:Did you follow the trails coming out of the thick stuff to see if there were any beds up in there?

From the parking lot you walk through thick timber and then it drops down quite a bit into the big open timber and then it goes into that super thick stuff as pictured. I did not follow the trails through the very thick stuff

I saw trials going into it and they look like they get used pretty often. Do you guys think it’s worth going into the very thick stuff to find the beds? I don’t want to ruin my chances come October 1st. I do know that.

It’s super thick as the picture shows for about 50 yards and probably at least 400 yards wide. On the other side is semi thick/open timber again. I did not work my way around to the other side today. I plan on doing that tomorrow

What have you got to lose by heading in there now? Still about a month and a half for it to settle down. If it doesn't hold beds you can check it off and move on. If it does, they may not use it for awhile. But, they may at some point during this season. Even if it's not by 10/1. If it does have beds, and it messes it up for this entire season. You'll still have intel to use for seasons to come. And it's 1 less spot to "need" to scout next spring! Leaving you more time for scouting new areas. Next year.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:06 pm

I have been in some similar areas. When going into the thick on deer trails I found some semi open pockets and even a tree or two big enough to climb. Ambush site.

If you don't go, you won't know.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Rmallen
Facebook: Roth mallen

Unread postby Rmallen » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:00 pm

I scouted some similar property recently that ran east and west that dumped into some native grasses at the point. Where it curved north with some jumps on the western and northern transitions fount a well used trail and beds at the point even kicked some deer up. Did you by chance follow the thick to to point. I’m by no means an expert but just making suggestions?
milkweed-militia
500 Club
Facebook: Ross Brawner

Unread postby milkweed-militia » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:30 am

stash59 wrote:
burtle wrote:

What have you got to lose by heading in there now? Still about a month and a half for it to settle down. If it doesn't hold beds you can check it off and move on. If it does, they may not use it for awhile. But, they may at some point during this season. Even if it's not by 10/1. If it does have beds, and it messes it up for this entire season. You'll still have intel to use for seasons to come. And it's 1 less spot to "need" to scout next spring! Leaving you more time for scouting new areas. Next year.

Agree 100%! Dive in there now so you'll know. I'm still doing some scouting. If you jump in there now and find out what you need, you'll be good by October 1st.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”