Small Marsh island

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mauser06
500 Club

Small Marsh island

Unread postby mauser06 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:43 pm

This early spring I located and scouted a small Marsh island.

To paint the picture...it is like 75yds long and 20-30yds wide.

The hardwoods are 75yds or so from the edge of the island.

The entire island was torn up. It was actually hard to say anything was a bed because it was so active and rubbed up. Trails were basically everywhere.

There is basically woods to the north and east and naturally, there's trails leaving it from the north tip and a few from the Eastern side.

I am trying to narrow down what to do. I don't think I can physically get ON the island and hunt it. I think I need to hunt the weather and moon and hunt from the woods.

Ideally, there's enough foliage I can sneak up a tree covering a couple of the best trails on the woodline and not get picked off...

The island is fairly elevated and I'm not sure how tall the grass will be...after winter it wasn't much..they definitely have a good thing goin on....

The northern tip to the woods is mostly marsh grass...the Eastern side had a significant tangle of cat tails and a wooded jungle tangled mess which contained a lot of sign and scattered trees big enough to hold beds...

I'd assume they'd bed on the edges with the wind to their back..example...south wind they are on the north tip of last elevation on the north side...???

The hardwoods is fairly "boring". Nothing really stood out more than anything else. Oaks on the ridge...maples and such closer to the marsh...

Any thoughts on capitalizing on it?? My first 3 weeks or so will revolve around marsh hunts...then the remainder of the season I will mix in some big woods hill country.

I feel great about the spot... certainly has the makings of a big buck hideout. I've just never hunted a Marsh island. The marshes I hunt typically have deep water canals cutting off access to islands..till I get me a canoe. Lol.

Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Re: Small Marsh island

Unread postby Cchez » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:40 am

Is that mainland woods open enough where you could do an observation sit and see out to the island?
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:50 am

You are correct, they will most likely be bedding off the edges of the island and your assumption on wind direction correlating with bedding is correct. I would be hunting on the island, not sitting back
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:39 am

jmaas07 wrote:You are correct, they will most likely be bedding off the edges of the island and your assumption on wind direction correlating with bedding is correct. I would be hunting on the island, not sitting back

This is what I'm thinking for a relatively similar-sounding piece that I have. Time will tell if it's the right move. ;)
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:42 am

jmaas07 wrote:I would be hunting on the island, not sitting back

Feeling the same thing here, as someone else mentioned it might be worth an observation sit before the season to see if anything is there. If the mainland is a big ridge like it sounds keep an eye on those thermals in the evening, the buck might be positioned to use them to get a nose full.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:43 am

I was thinking an observation sit...but not sure what I can get away with and what I will be able to see....I know foliage in the early season is much different than I had my eyes on.

I'm really not sure if I can get on the island and hunt them. I might be able to get setup on it....but if they are on the north end, I am on the south end...just off wind....I don't think they have much reason to milk around ON the island...likely will head right for the mainland to feed for the night?

The elevation of the island makes it difficult...if they bed up on the highest ground, they can probably see pretty well....it has the makings of a terrific bedding location for sure...

The mainland around the island is indeed a small ridge. I too was wondering how the thermal drop would be...between the marsh and the ridge.

I think it's going to be a tough spot to hunt. And I know the mature buck is likely to just sit out there till it's good and dark before leaving and will be back out there long before sunrise.

There was a distinct trail on the marsh side of the island. That caught my interest. If they do wander around it a bit before dark, I could possibly pull off a hunt ON it.

I think sitting back and glassing it is my best approach....

I thought about camera bombing the trails going out to it and try to figure out if/when the daylight movement occurs...but I don't know that they'd tolerate cameras there.

Could be a good spot in rifle season as well...get on it or be able to cover it with a rifle when the pressure is on. I can definitely see that being a safe haven.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”