Think Exit!!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Re: Think Exit!!

Unread postby muddy » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:41 am

I think I remember the Wensels had a miniature deer model in Bowhinting October Whitetails. They did a entry/exit comparison with a piece of wire and I always think back to that little model when I'm aiming at a deer. It's always been second nature for me to know the deers anatomy entry thru exit.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
tkohuntsMI

Unread postby tkohuntsMI » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:31 am

I’ve always thought exit. It’s funny because my dad never taught me that, it just always seemed logical to imagine the path of the projectile. I’ve killed deer both with gun and bow that were quartering towards or away hard but as long as I made sure the exit was right at the back edge of the far shoulder it’s always resulted in quick kills!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:52 am

I'm surprised Drury didn't think of it that way either. I remember a few years ago trying to hone my accuracy out of a tree at different angles. Went on YouTube and PJ Reilly of Lancaster Archery did an excellent breakdown of what it needs to look like at different angles, all the while emphasizing arrow exit.
https://youtu.be/0YLheAwBVxQ
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Ishi Spirit

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:13 am

All I see and think is entrance but on each kill I’ve made the exit is a given so my mind never thinks of that part.
The Spirit Lives On
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:31 am

greenhorndave wrote:I'm surprised Drury didn't think of it that way either. I remember a few years ago trying to hone my accuracy out of a tree at different angles. Went on YouTube and PJ Reilly of Lancaster Archery did an excellent breakdown of what it needs to look like at different angles, all the while emphasizing arrow exit.

Drury was the one that said it to the other Mark. Sorry I wasn’t very clear in the OP.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:34 am

WV Bowhunter wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:I'm surprised Drury didn't think of it that way either. I remember a few years ago trying to hone my accuracy out of a tree at different angles. Went on YouTube and PJ Reilly of Lancaster Archery did an excellent breakdown of what it needs to look like at different angles, all the while emphasizing arrow exit.

Drury was the one that said it to the other Mark. Sorry I wasn’t very clear in the OP.

Gotcha!

Well maybe Kenyon is watching this thread. ;)
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:42 pm

Hawthorne wrote:I think of a basketball in the chest cavity. Whatever angle I have to take to puncture the basketball right in the center. It happens instinctively mostly now

Same here.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:54 am

I don't think this is a new or innovative thing, when I first started bowhunting maybe 20 years back I didn't have anyone to teach me so I was on the internet and forums like this learning. Plenty of guys saying "aim for the exit hole" and really all that means is you want the best angle through the vitals that hits both lungs. A great looking shot at a bad angle can get one lung or less and then you are in for a long day of tracking.
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:30 am

When I started bow hunting, I had no mentor so I had to learn on my own. One of the first things I did, to help with my shooting, was to "look" my arrow into the spot I was aiming. That taught me to look THROUGH the target. It's no different than in other activities, where you "follow through", pitching, swinging, hitting, etc.. Even with a firearm, you are taught to "know your target and beyond". I'm actually kind of shocked that a master whitetail hunter like Drury doesn't look through the deer for an exit. :shock:
lotusnmo

Unread postby lotusnmo » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:40 am

Listened to the pcast and though it was very good. what does everyone think of the sighting in the bow low part. I believe he started at 2in low at 20 yards.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:00 am

hambone wrote:When I started bow hunting, I had no mentor so I had to learn on my own. One of the first things I did, to help with my shooting, was to "look" my arrow into the spot I was aiming. That taught me to look THROUGH the target. It's no different than in other activities, where you "follow through", pitching, swinging, hitting, etc.. Even with a firearm, you are taught to "know your target and beyond". I'm actually kind of shocked that a master whitetail hunter like Drury doesn't look through the deer for an exit. :shock:

As WV pointed out, it wasn’t Drury, it was Kenyon.
----------
hambone
500 Club

Unread postby hambone » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:29 am

greenhorndave wrote:
hambone wrote:When I started bow hunting, I had no mentor so I had to learn on my own. One of the first things I did, to help with my shooting, was to "look" my arrow into the spot I was aiming. That taught me to look THROUGH the target. It's no different than in other activities, where you "follow through", pitching, swinging, hitting, etc.. Even with a firearm, you are taught to "know your target and beyond". I'm actually kind of shocked that a master whitetail hunter like Drury doesn't look through the deer for an exit. :shock:

Ahhh..Ize just about to say! I stand corrected on the Drury statement.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:37 am

hambone wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

Ahhh..Ize just about to say! I stand corrected on the Drury statement.

Yeah, I made the same blunder :D
----------
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:40 am

I have always said shoot for exit. By doing that you slow down and look at shot angle. Instead, of rushing shot.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:43 pm

I have always heard this? It used to be said a lot but always visualize and shoot to your exit point.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”