Morning success stories?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
DhD
500 Club

Morning success stories?

Unread postby DhD » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:26 pm

More of the discussion around here seems to center around evenings, but with my work schedule I can only hunt 3 evenings a week, while I can hunt almost every morning. Since only hunting three days a week is definitely not an option, I had better figure out how to hunt mornings better! Looking for some more in depth success stories and strategies for morning hunts. If I had to I could push it till probably 3 pm most any day I needed to, but not everyday. Most of the public around here (southeast Nebraska) is small ag pieces, anywhere from 50-500 acres with around 200 being the norm. I have read thru all of the all time tactical threads (great way to kill time at work). They are gold, I have actually read most of them multiple times. Dove pretty deep with the search function as well. Hoping for some more of that great tactical discussion that the beast is known for. 22 days till season!! Thanks folks.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Ranger Matthews

Re: Morning success stories?

Unread postby Ranger Matthews » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:52 pm

I may do something a little different but my key to hunting mornings is going in during the gray light. I used to spook deer constantly in the morning accessing through ag fields to the point I stopped hunting mornings. You obviously want the wind in your favor but when you access in grey light you can start to see what's in the field so you don't bump into deer unintentionally. The deer basically look hay bales or blobs and you just let them clear out if they are where you need to go. As long as they don't smell you they seem to have a real hard time seeing at that time of day. Not sure if their eyes are adjusting but during the rut I have had multiple bucks walk up to within 30 yards of me to investigate what I am. I normally hunt all day during the rut and I have probably shot 75% of my deer between morning and 2 pm. Since I started going in grey I almost never spook deer walking in. Granted I walk slow and periodically stop but it has made a huge difference. Several years ago after watching the Whitetail Adrenaline series I have even expanded this approach to big woods areas. I just have the mentality that Im hunting my way to the tree.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:10 am

It was November 8th 38 degrees with a light breeze out of the southwest. I arrived at my area around 5.10 later then normal.

I had planned on a map to hunt a funnel area by a thicket.

As I was getting ready by my vehicle another truck pulls up and we chat for a minute. I go into the woods about 700 yards to my setup. I climb up my tree at 5.30 at .5.40 I hear footsteps one of the guys walked within 30 yards of me to setup.

I'm thinking out of a thousand acres why choose here. At this point I'm angry and fustrated its Muzzleloader morning.

In my anger I climbed down and said to the guy don't worry you wont follow me where I'm going now.

I headed through 170 yards of pines walked into a riverbottom that became 4 foot tall thorn bushes across 3 creeks the biggest was 8 feet wide and setup on the edge of a creek.

My stand facing into the wind southwest. With the wind in my face it was chilly.

I had seen the transition met 3 times at this area. The area went uphill on a lee east facing slope with a real thick clearcut. I climbed up into my summit climber the time was 7.16. Exhausted and soaked.

Right when the sun began to hit the leaves in the bottom.
Around 8.10 I had a small buck come from where the transitions met and crossed infront of me. I passed.

At 8.30 I caught movement walking along the transition about 90 yards to my southwest. He had the wind blowing over his back eyes in front. He kept walking closer at 8.40 he stops 50 yards from me behind a tree I pull back the safety on my muzzleloader. At this point I knew it was a shooter. My heart pumping out of my chest.

He kept walking very slowly closer at 35 yards he stood broadside I fired the buck dropped right their kicking leaves. I reloaded and shot him again.

In shock I called my father on the phone and said I shot a buck . He after about a hour gets to me. I told him I though I had killed a decent 8 point . I was still in my treestand in shock. My dad walked over to the buck and said Jeff I think this buck is a little bigger then you think it is.

I climbed down and walked over the buck a beautiful mature 11 point with another small kicker. I kinda just fell to my knees holding the buck. After the field dressing we said where's the road lol half a mile uphill. It was after 4pm my time we got the buck to the truck.

This was definitely a day I will never forget.
The best hunt of my life.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:14 am

20190810_091252.jpg

I discovered later the bucks bed about 60 yards from where I had setup . Just above the transition.

Another hunter found the area and overhunted the area it is now dried up.

This was my biggest buck still to this day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:57 am

After the above story I found the beast and began to understand how bucks traveled and bedded. My first beast season was a dud.

And so began beast year 2
This was the first year I hunted the Rock.

Rock is as Road that leads to very large ancient boulders on public ground. Four wheelers are a constant thing in the area.

I hunted this area November 9th afternoon and had a buck come just to my left as it got dark i moved my lone wolf 75 yards. overlooking a creek funnel on a very steep bluff.

It had several fresh scrapes going right through the funnel and a buck bed nearby on the bluff. I hung my stand where I had seen the buck and left the area.

I came back the next morning it was a warm morning and light rain a cold front coming in. I arrived at 5am and walked to my tree climbing up at around 5.45.

Just after daylight here come a buck right through the funnel and began uphill torward his bed. I was really high up 10 feet above the bluff which was probably 25 feet up.

The buck walked the same trail I'd seen him on the previous afternoon. My muzzleloader fired and the buck ran to his bed and laid down .

In a pouring rain I walked over to the buck bed and their sat a 8 point. Naming him was easy. The Rock.

This buck I never put on the beast but was a buck I remember well.

I did shoot another buck from this stand that was bigger but never found him a month later.

Rocks been good to me killed 2 bucks in 3 sits to this day. The area is pressured hard so I rarely hunt it.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:59 am

DhD wrote:More of the discussion around here seems to center around evenings, but with my work schedule I can only hunt 3 evenings a week, while I can hunt almost every morning. Since only hunting three days a week is definitely not an option, I had better figure out how to hunt mornings better! Looking for some more in depth success stories and strategies for morning hunts. If I had to I could push it till probably 3 pm most any day I needed to, but not everyday. Most of the public around here (southeast Nebraska) is small ag pieces, anywhere from 50-500 acres with around 200 being the norm. I have read thru all of the all time tactical threads (great way to kill time at work). They are gold, I have actually read most of them multiple times. Dove pretty deep with the search function as well. Hoping for some more of that great tactical discussion that the beast is known for. 22 days till season!! Thanks folks.

I think most of the discussion concerning evening hunting here is due to the timing of the hunt.

Most everyone is eager to get the season started and get in there and tag a buck. But morning hunting for most in the early season does more harm than good.
A buck has to be on his feet in daylight hours to kill him and more often than not, a mature buck is back to bed prior to sun up during early season. So getting tight as possible to his bed to catch his first steps prior to darkness is vital.

Now once the early season turns into pre-rut many guys will begin morning sits as well as evening. Then naturally on into the rut the am sits turn into all day sits.

A lot of hunters will also hunt rut stand sites early season, because those stand sites are what they grew up knowing where to hunt.
Throughout the season, not only does the “when to hunt” change so does the “where to hunt” change.

If morning sits is all you have available, then you have to swing the bat when you can. Not all bucks follow a script and can be caught and killed first light. Just have to find what works for you. Best of luck this season!
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:35 am

DhD wrote:More of the discussion around here seems to center around evenings, but with my work schedule I can only hunt 3 evenings a week, while I can hunt almost every morning. Since only hunting three days a week is definitely not an option, I had better figure out how to hunt mornings better! Looking for some more in depth success stories and strategies for morning hunts. If I had to I could push it till probably 3 pm most any day I needed to, but not everyday. Most of the public around here (southeast Nebraska) is small ag pieces, anywhere from 50-500 acres with around 200 being the norm. I have read thru all of the all time tactical threads (great way to kill time at work). They are gold, I have actually read most of them multiple times. Dove pretty deep with the search function as well. Hoping for some more of that great tactical discussion that the beast is known for. 22 days till season!! Thanks folks.

Save your best spots for evenings.
Hunting in the mornings may not be as good but it's better to be enjoying nature and the woods then sleeping the day away.

Mornings can be great times to hunt new areas and learn how deer use them in the early season. You can call them observation sits. You might just get lucky and find that first dropping oak all the bucks are eating at or have one come back to bed late.
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:58 am

IMO access is very important. You got to have a plan to avoid the deer from the time you pull up to park until you are set up. Most of the time it is hard to get to where you need to be without messing things up.

I used to go in two or three hours early but now as a general rule I don’t hunt mornings before the end of October unless there is a weather front or big rain event or high wind to make me think I have some sort of advantage.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:54 am

The first twilight phase is astronomical twilight 1.5 hours before sunrise. I believe the big bucks that are pressured can sense the first rumblings of daylight then they head back to bed. How else does a big buck know in the dark to head back to bed.Certain events can delay them or if they aren’t pressured. I’ve seen fog and rain delay them coming back. Had an encounter with a monster one year on oct1 . It was pouring rain walking to my stand that morning. He was coming back to bed late like an hour after sunrise when it quit raining. To bad I missed him and cut some hair off the bottom of his chest. I’ve shot most my nice bucks in morning. Only the last two years I’ve started killing them in the evenings
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:04 am

Jdw wrote:IMO access is very important. You got to have a plan to avoid the deer from the time you pull up to park until you are set up. Most of the time it is hard to get to where you need to be without messing things up.

I used to go in two or three hours early but now as a general rule I don’t hunt mornings before the end of October unless there is a weather front or big rain event or high wind to make me think I have some sort of advantage.

I had been thinking about how to approach some of the times available to me to hunt, and how to maximize them using conditions. I can hunt mid day instead of mornings if I want to. Considering taking a few windy/rainy mid days and doing some in season still hunting/scouting with a bow in my hand. Hard part is walking out at 3pm so I can get ready for work. My boss did say that as long as it's not on the weekend "I just shot a big buck" is a reasonable excuse to call in to work for the evening.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:10 am

backstraps wrote:

I think most of the discussion concerning evening hunting here is due to the timing of the hunt.

Most everyone is eager to get the season started and get in there and tag a buck. But morning hunting for most in the early season does more harm than good.
A buck has to be on his feet in daylight hours to kill him and more often than not, a mature buck is back to bed prior to sun up during early season. So getting tight as possible to his bed to catch his first steps prior to darkness is vital.

Now once the early season turns into pre-rut many guys will begin morning sits as well as evening. Then naturally on into the rut the am sits turn into all day sits.

A lot of hunters will also hunt rut stand sites early season, because those stand sites are what they grew up knowing where to hunt.
Throughout the season, not only does the “when to hunt” change so does the “where to hunt” change.

If morning sits is all you have available, then you have to swing the bat when you can. Not all bucks follow a script and can be caught and killed first light. Just have to find what works for you. Best of luck this season!

Great post!!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:11 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:After the above story I found the beast and began to understand how bucks traveled and bedded. My first beast season was a dud.

And so began beast year 2
This was the first year I hunted the Rock.

Rock is as Road that leads to very large ancient boulders on public ground. Four wheelers are a constant thing in the area.

I hunted this area November 9th afternoon and had a buck come just to my left as it got dark i moved my lone wolf 75 yards. overlooking a creek funnel on a very steep bluff.

It had several fresh scrapes going right through the funnel and a buck bed nearby on the bluff. I hung my stand where I had seen the buck and left the area.

I came back the next morning it was a warm morning and light rain a cold front coming in. I arrived at 5am and walked to my tree climbing up at around 5.45.

Just after daylight here come a buck right through the funnel and began uphill torward his bed. I was really high up 10 feet above the bluff which was probably 25 feet up.

The buck walked the same trail I'd seen him on the previous afternoon. My muzzleloader fired and the buck ran to his bed and laid down .

In a pouring rain I walked over to the buck bed and their sat a 8 point. Naming him was easy. The Rock.

This buck I never put on the beast but was a buck I remember well.

I did shoot another buck from this stand that was bigger but never found him a month later.

Rocks been good to me killed 2 bucks in 3 sits to this day. The area is pressured hard so I rarely hunt it.

Nice buck!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Matt Gill

Unread postby Matt Gill » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:38 am

I’m a long way from a big buck killer, killing mostly 3.5 yr olds and most of those on evening hunts, but my morning approach is to hunt bedding areas, rather than specific buck beds. Hopefully I can catch one up stirring around to browse, eat a few acorns, or get a drink. I have seen some good bucks in October between 8-9 am and killed my biggest buck on a morning hunt as well. Obviously I don’t bust into my best areas to hunt this way but like others have said it’s a good chance to see what the deer in the area are doing there in the mornings, learn new areas, and scout on your way out to the truck after the hunt
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:08 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:It was November 8th 38 degrees with a light breeze out of the southwest. I arrived at my area around 5.10 later then normal.

I had planned on a map to hunt a funnel area by a thicket.

As I was getting ready by my vehicle another truck pulls up and we chat for a minute. I go into the woods about 700 yards to my setup. I climb up my tree at 5.30 at .5.40 I hear footsteps one of the guys walked within 30 yards of me to setup.

I'm thinking out of a thousand acres why choose here. At this point I'm angry and fustrated its Muzzleloader morning.

In my anger I climbed down and said to the guy don't worry you wont follow me where I'm going now.

I headed through 170 yards of pines walked into a riverbottom that became 4 foot tall thorn bushes across 3 creeks the biggest was 8 feet wide and setup on the edge of a creek.

My stand facing into the wind southwest. With the wind in my face it was chilly.

I had seen the transition met 3 times at this area. The area went uphill on a lee east facing slope with a real thick clearcut. I climbed up into my summit climber the time was 7.16. Exhausted and soaked.

Right when the sun began to hit the leaves in the bottom.
Around 8.10 I had a small buck come from where the transitions met and crossed infront of me. I passed.

At 8.30 I caught movement walking along the transition about 90 yards to my southwest. He had the wind blowing over his back eyes in front. He kept walking closer at 8.40 he stops 50 yards from me behind a tree I pull back the safety on my muzzleloader. At this point I knew it was a shooter. My heart pumping out of my chest.

He kept walking very slowly closer at 35 yards he stood broadside I fired the buck dropped right their kicking leaves. I reloaded and shot him again.

In shock I called my father on the phone and said I shot a buck . He after about a hour gets to me. I told him I though I had killed a decent 8 point . I was still in my treestand in shock. My dad walked over to the buck and said Jeff I think this buck is a little bigger then you think it is.

I climbed down and walked over the buck a beautiful mature 11 point with another small kicker. I kinda just fell to my knees holding the buck. After the field dressing we said where's the road lol half a mile uphill. It was after 4pm my time we got the buck to the truck.

This was definitely a day I will never forget.
The best hunt of my life.

Awesome story. I'm glad I am not the only one who only worries about how to get a deer out once its dead. This is exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:13 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:

Save your best spots for evenings.
Hunting in the mornings may not be as good but it's better to be enjoying nature and the woods then sleeping the day away.

Mornings can be great times to hunt new areas and learn how deer use them in the early season. You can call them observation sits. You might just get lucky and find that first dropping oak all the bucks are eating at or have one come back to bed late.

That is really the attitude I am trying to have, pick my less than prime spots, and learn as much as I can in the mornings. If I get a shooter in range that's a bonus. At this point I am really just trying to get as much time in the woods as possible. Lots to learn and not enough time to learn it all!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”